PDA

View Full Version : Stars and Stripe dimension

thatsmrmastercraft
02-04-2009, 02:25 PM
My 1977 S&S is in storage 200 miles away. Can someone who has acess to their S&S measure the width of the stripe down the side? Also, is it the same width the entire length of the boat, or is it narrower towards the bow? The reason I ask is the previous owner painted over the original stripe with a rather nautique (yuck) looking blue rather than make the effort to properly buff out the gelcoat. As my boat has a long to-do list, removing the paint to restore the exterior won't be happening until late-summer at the earliest. As a temporary measure, I intend to buy a roll of 3M red metalflake vinyl and apply that over the blue paint, along with the correct logo and stars. I really need to find local storage. This winter seems even longer when I don't have access to the boat.

mad-dog1
02-04-2009, 05:46 PM
I pulled ALL the decals of it and I want to try your solution, I've sanded the hull and it's in great shape since this picture was taken....I really like to try the 3M decal so if anyone has any suggestions please ....:D

mad-dog1
02-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to jack this thread MR MC....I just realized that....I apologize

thatsmrmastercraft
02-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Sorry I didn't mean to jack this thread MR MC....I just realized that....I apologize

No appologies necessary dog. More like jumping on the bandwagon. It won't be an easy installation laying a one piece 12 - 15 inch stripe the length of the boat, but it can be done if you have some experience with vinyl and you put it on wet. I'm sure we can get a measurement. If not, I will be heading out to visit the boat next weekend and measure then.

M-Funf
02-04-2009, 06:52 PM
I believe the stripe is the same width (height) from bow to stern, but I can double check when I see the boat next. I can also measure width.

I THINK the '76 and '77 have the same graphics, but somebody (cough...cough...TMCno1...cough) could probably set me straight...

TMCNo1
02-04-2009, 07:16 PM
I believe the stripe is the same width (height) from bow to stern, but I can double check when I see the boat next. I can also measure width.

I THINK the '76 and '77 have the same graphics, but somebody (cough...cough...TMCno1...cough) could probably set me straight...

Sorry, I have no idea!

ski_king
02-04-2009, 07:20 PM
Sorry, my boat isn't nearby also, but if I remember correctly, it is 10 in.

M-Funf
02-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Sorry, I have no idea!

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????????

My certainty of your knowledge has been severely tarnished...

TMCNo1
02-04-2009, 07:26 PM
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT??????????????

My certainty of your knowledge has been severely tarnished...

Can you recommend a polish to bring it back to life!:rolleyes::D

M-Funf
02-04-2009, 07:34 PM

Either one of these would do the trick...:rolleyes:

ski_king
02-04-2009, 07:37 PM

Just apply a few coats of teak oil with a sanding between each coat.

TMCNo1
02-04-2009, 07:39 PM
Just apply a few coats of teak oil with a sanding between each coat.

I know nothing about teak!:rolleyes::D

EricB
02-04-2009, 09:24 PM
1976 has the same script as the 77. If my memory serves me, that script was used until 1980 or 81.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-04-2009, 10:25 PM
1976 has the same script as the 77. If my memory serves me, that script was used until 1980 or 81.

Hey Ericb, do you have your boat tucked away for the winter here in town where you could measure the width of the stripe? (refer to post #1)

mad-dog1
02-04-2009, 10:40 PM
Mr MC the question of the day is: does 3M have this strip that you know of, I've looked in their website and it is hard to tell without a part #.....Any input??
Thanks...

thatsmrmastercraft
02-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Mr MC the question of the day is: does 3M have this strip that you know of, I've looked in their website and it is hard to tell without a part #.....Any input??
Thanks...

Any premium automotive vinyl will do the trick. Bulk roll stock can be purchased from sign shops, or better yet companies that sell wholsale. The web is full of companies selling this kind of vinyl. The vinyl is typically guarenteed from 5 - 7 years, and available in an incredible number of colors.

EricB
02-04-2009, 10:47 PM
No, unfortunately I do not. It is tucked away in Wisconsin about 60 mi away.

My boat is an 83. I think the width is the same as a 77. I will be going to the cabin in 2 weeks and I could measure and take pics at that time if you still have a need. Let me know, I'd be more than happy to help - just need to get to the boat.

mad-dog1
02-04-2009, 10:53 PM
I'll favorite this thread and follow up on your progress, thank you Mr MC and Eric B for any and all input you may have....( font for decals maybe the next question...)

Bellinghamster
02-04-2009, 11:22 PM
My '78 S&S stripe width is 9-1/4" at the transom, 9-1/2" under the windshield, and 9" at the bow (9-1/4 about half way between the bow and the windshield), all measured perpendicular to the stripe.

I suspect you will have a very difficult time getting a fixed width (i.e. straight off a roll) to end up looking straight on the boat (i.e. parallel to the waterline, (or to the deck)) due to the curvature of the hull at towards the bow. The vinyl stripe, if projected onto a flat surface would need to curve downward toward the bow to end up looking straight where the bow starts to "curve under".

If this doesn't make sense, take a piece of notebook paper and draw a straight line 2" in, and parallel to the "long" side. Pick up the paper, hold it so the line is horizontal, and bend (curve) one corner back away from you so it looks a bit like a side view of your boat (the curved back part being the bow end... use some imagination here). You'll notice that the "straight" line now appears to curve upward significantly.

astepka
02-05-2009, 12:28 AM
I have a 1977. My pics are on pages 9-11 of the "photos of Star & Stripes and prostars needed" thread.....this should be the link ??

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22386

This thread has lots and lots of great pictures of older Stars & Stripes boats...They should help you with ideas of how everything should look and how some people have gotten a little creative. I am an "old-schooler" but if you have a mess on your hands with the exterior, then maybe one of these new "wraps" might pan out to be cheaper and easier and "old-school" and "new way cool" all at once???? just a thought. You don't have to use the new Mastercraft wraps, those bass boat guys do just about everything....If you can get it on a computer screen, then you can get it on a boat. Maybe a wrap covering the whole side may hide many past sins and you can still design it to look like a '77 or a '77 with flare!

The american flag stars & stripes on this link is pretty cool. I think it is a few pages past my boat.

Check them out. If you still need any more measurements let me know. My boat is about 15 minutes away. Good luck.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-05-2009, 09:34 AM
My '78 S&S stripe width is 9-1/4" at the transom, 9-1/2" under the windshield, and 9" at the bow (9-1/4 about half way between the bow and the windshield), all measured perpendicular to the stripe.

I suspect you will have a very difficult time getting a fixed width (i.e. straight off a roll) to end up looking straight on the boat (i.e. parallel to the waterline, (or to the deck)) due to the curvature of the hull at towards the bow. The vinyl stripe, if projected onto a flat surface would need to curve downward toward the bow to end up looking straight where the bow starts to "curve under".

If this doesn't make sense, take a piece of notebook paper and draw a straight line 2" in, and parallel to the "long" side. Pick up the paper, hold it so the line is horizontal, and bend (curve) one corner back away from you so it looks a bit like a side view of your boat (the curved back part being the bow end... use some imagination here). You'll notice that the "straight" line now appears to curve upward significantly.

Thanks for the dimensions. Just tells me I will need to make a template from the paint on my boat and cut the vinyl to match to get the correct look. I thought it would be too easy to just be a 10" wide stripe the length of the boat. A little more work, but not that much.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-05-2009, 09:38 AM
I have a 1977. My pics are on pages 9-11 of the "photos of Star & Stripes and prostars needed" thread.....this should be the link ??

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=22386

This thread has lots and lots of great pictures of older Stars & Stripes boats...They should help you with ideas of how everything should look and how some people have gotten a little creative. I am an "old-schooler" but if you have a mess on your hands with the exterior, then maybe one of these new "wraps" might pan out to be cheaper and easier and "old-school" and "new way cool" all at once???? just a thought. You don't have to use the new Mastercraft wraps, those bass boat guys do just about everything....If you can get it on a computer screen, then you can get it on a boat. Maybe a wrap covering the whole side may hide many past sins and you can still design it to look like a '77 or a '77 with flare!

The american flag stars & stripes on this link is pretty cool. I think it is a few pages past my boat.

Check them out. If you still need any more measurements let me know. My boat is about 15 minutes away. Good luck.

Appreciate the thoughts astepka, but I plan to do this on the cheap, and as long as I make a teplate and follow the original dimensions I should be ok.