PDA

View Full Version : 8" Subwoofers??? Anyone use them before?

skeeler
02-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Hey, guys! At the end of the Summer I removed my two Alpine Type R 10" subs from my X-Star. My intent, was to rebuild the enclosure and use the same subs.

Over the winter here, I got to thinking. The spot the previous two 10's enclosure was loaded in (right behind the driver's seat) was a very, very, very tight fit. Almost impossible to get in there and out, but I did. I was wondering if anyone has had any output success with any 8" subs, like the JL Audio w7's or w3's? (below) I was thinking two of those with a ton a power may accomplish the same thing, and fit in there rather easily. I have heard three Treo 8's in a vehicle that sounded very good, but not sure how that would translate to the boat.

Give me your thought guys.!

JimN
02-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Hey, guys! At the end of the Summer I removed my two Alpine Type R 10" subs from my X-Star. My intent, was to rebuild the enclosure and use the same subs.

Over the winter here, I got to thinking. The spot the previous two 10's enclosure was loaded in (right behind the driver's seat) was a very, very, very tight fit. Almost impossible to get in there and out, but I did. I was wondering if anyone has had any output success with any 8" subs, like the JL Audio w7's or w3's? (below) I was thinking two of those with a ton a power may accomplish the same thing, and fit in there rather easily. I have heard three Treo 8's in a vehicle that sounded very good, but not sure how that would translate to the boat.

Give me your thought guys.!

"In a car" sounds completely different from "In a boat", so how well it will work will depend on the box volume/construction/damping, amount/quality of the power sent to the sub(s), quality of installation and
realization that the sound won't be contained inside the boat. If you want to feel/hear the bass when you're being towed, you definitely won't add any happiness to the lives of the people who are on or live around the water because once it's outside the boundaries, it's almost impossible to stop. Because they work with these woofers every day, I would probably start by calling the JL technical department.

skeeler
02-03-2009, 11:56 AM
"In a car" sounds completely different from "In a boat", so how well it will work will depend on the box volume/construction/damping, amount/quality of the power sent to the sub(s), quality of installation and
realization that the sound won't be contained inside the boat. If you want to feel/hear the bass when you're being towed, you definitely won't add any happiness to the lives of the people who are on or live around the water because once it's outside the boundaries, it's almost impossible to stop. Because they work with these woofers every day, I would probably start by calling the JL technical department.

Like I stated earlier, I was more curious to see if anyone has used them, and how they performed. I have always wondered how a $300 8" subwoofer sounds. :D

JimN
02-03-2009, 12:11 PM
Like I stated earlier, I was more curious to see if anyone has used them, and how they performed. I have always wondered how a $300 8" subwoofer sounds. :D

Any dealers near you or do they just have them in stock, but in their original packaging?

Anyone seen this? It's not available yet but it looks like they're definitely trying.

wakeX2wake
02-03-2009, 12:15 PM
that would definitely be interesting... i know its hard to get that "feel" of the bass like you want out of a boat and it would make sense to me that this bass you would "hear" more than feel... i'm more partial to the "feel" however... i'd check re-sale on those in case you tried and didn't like so you aren't out $600... i think i'd have to stick w/ the 2 10s you currently have and sweeten them up in a crispy enclosure... skeeler PM sent

craig3972
02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
I put in two of the JL M10W5 http://marine.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?prod_id=394. the two tens in the sealed boxes provide a lot of in cabin bass (they are a fast responding sub especially in the sealed enclosures) I put two cheapy kicker 12" in large ported enclosures in the back lockers, they provide the really low frequencies and the sound goues thru the whole boat. locker subs wont work with the extra ballast system though. 44265

In my previous x-star i ran a single 12" type R and found that for the amount of sound that it made, it used a lot of power ... wasnt good for me cause we do a lot of listening with the motor off.
Also the Type R is a very long sub compared to its driver diameter, longer excursion tho.

skeeler
02-03-2009, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't think a 12" sub would fit, height wise, in that factory location. But I don't have the boat right here to measure it, I could be wrong.

rrbooker
02-03-2009, 02:17 PM
I used 2 10" w6's in custom made fiberglass boxes. I put one one each side of the boat to keep the weight even. I thought about using 8" subs, but went with the 10s!

Cary K.
02-03-2009, 02:43 PM
How about the new thin series JL subs:

http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs_pages.php?page_id=245

Seems like a perfect application for them.

skeeler
02-03-2009, 03:24 PM
I used 2 10" w6's in custom made fiberglass boxes. I put one one each side of the boat to keep the weight even. I thought about using 8" subs, but went with the 10s!

How do you like those w6's? I think this may be the route I am going to take. One on each side. I think I am going to cut out the other side and put a grill on it.

rrbooker
02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
How do you like those w6's? I think this may be the route I am going to take. One on each side. I think I am going to cut out the other side and put a grill on it.

The w6's sound great. I'm running them both off a JL 1000/1 amp. I wanted to get w7s but i wasn't going to spend that kind of money on something that can't be locked up, and might get wet! I bought mine on ebay in a package deal for around $500.

CottagerGreg
02-03-2009, 04:37 PM
The sound gets out ok?

craig3972
02-03-2009, 04:42 PM
it was pretty tight getting that sealed enclosure into the original location due to the 2.5" seat lip (hangs down into the compartment) maybe if you recut the sub hole lower - your sub grill will be right on the floor

rrbooker
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
The sound gets out ok?

I think it sounds fine! I can't tell the difference when i have the cushions off or in place. I'm sure it would alittle if you cut holes for the sound to get out or pulled the stock sub and put a different grill on. I just wanted to keep everything clean and looking like factory.