PDA

View Full Version : Damn the bad luck... Possible Problems?

jixxxer
02-02-2009, 10:09 PM
long story short; i had my boat at my uncles under a covered storage with a cheap cover on it. Well he must have decided to move it out from under storage for what ever reason. So i go there tonight to go thur the boat or whatever; i pull the cover off and theres 2"' of standing water in the boat!!!!!!!! The plug was still in the drain hole; my bad; and i guess all the rain we've been having must have seeped thur that cheap cover. So i drain the water, wait a lil while and try to crank it.......nothing!! I check the batter and the charger says full. I put it charging anyways and will try again tomorrow. any ideas of potential problems with that standing water?? Will update tomorrow....calling in sick.........cause this does actually make me sick; especially if it doesnt crank!

sand2snow22
02-02-2009, 10:14 PM
Sorry to hear about that. Good luck, those things make me sick, too. Nice of your Uncle.....Does your uncle ever get to enjoy your boat? If so, the new answer should be NO!

east tx skier
02-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Was the starter submerged? Is that 2" over the floor or just 2" in the bilge? Don't know what kind of cover you have, but even a good cover apart from a Rankin will need to be tented. None are watertight. You want them to breathe.

jixxxer
02-02-2009, 10:41 PM
well i would say at least 1" of water above the floor. You know now that i think about im an idiot also;;;i remember now that i was getting ready to take it out on the water which is why the plug was in, but then it started raining and we didnt go; must have forgot it; and yes im very pissed athe the uncle, looks like im gonna find a new place for it.

flipper
02-02-2009, 11:02 PM
The starter was probably under water then. Did you check fuses? Something could have just got wet, and shorted everything out. Check the breakers, fuses and all that first. Check the battery to be sure it has a charge still. If all that checks out, I'm guessing starter.

thatsmrmastercraft
02-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Could just be corroded connections, especially at the starter. It would only take a minute to freshen it up. I guess I would use a multi-meter or test-light to verify power to the starter. Good luck. You aren't the first guy to leave the plug in during storage. Tough thing being human some days.

D3skier
02-03-2009, 08:12 AM
also check the oil and make sure no water is in there.

WTRSK1R
02-03-2009, 08:15 AM
You may want to verify if any water got in the the Transmission too. I had a similar problem while we were building our house. I had put the boat at my parents and since we normally used it so much I never stored it with the plug out, just drained the bilge after every use and put the plug back.
Anyway, it sat for about 6 weeks during construction of the house and I had about 2 inches of water over the floor boards. Worse then that, the dipstick for the transmission apparently leaked and there was a layer of transmission fluid floating on top of the water. Getting it out of the carpet and vinyl was a pain in the a$$. However after a thorough clean up and multiple changes of the trans fluid, the boat was none the worse for the experience.

Good Luck.

jixxxer
02-03-2009, 09:15 AM
I think i found the problem. On the back of the starter (i think its the starter) tword the bottom a orange wire was corroded off and i found a purple wire with a boot on it not connected to anything?? I got some pics, tell me what u think. What next? in the second pic, it shows the purlple wire with the boot, the last pic is the back of the starter and if ulook at the bottom of it, you can see a gold colored screw which i think the oragne wire would be.
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/jixxxer/IMG00122.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/jixxxer/IMG00124.jpg
http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k144/jixxxer/IMG00125.jpg

SkiDog
02-03-2009, 09:52 AM
That looks like the lead from the battery to the started to me, they are kinda blurrrrrrry!:D
But thats what it appears to be. Was the starter UNDER water? If so, yopu're probably gonna have to rebuild it or replace it.:( Glad your motor doesn't look like this one that was left with the boat plug in!:D

jixxxer
02-03-2009, 10:01 AM
any idea about the purple wire with the boot on it? I guessing i can try and hook the wire back up and try and start it right? Is it difficult to take the starter off?

flipper
02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
The starter is easy to get to, and very easy to get off/replace.

jixxxer
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM
also just discovered on the drivers side of the motor, there is a big red wire going to a cylinder lookinig deal with a small red wire also hooked to it, well the small wire is corroded off; the big wire is still bolted on. What can that be?
Is there a digram of the motor online somwhere; I work on computers all day, dont know much about engines!

jixxxer
02-03-2009, 10:43 AM
those pics are of the alternator! I took my starter off and it was extremely difficutl to get off, there is no room to unbolt it!! Took me an hour to take the to bolts off! Is it a special starter or anything?????

lsupcar
02-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Where in Louisiana are you? Maybe you could find some local help. Your descriptive and photographic abilities limit the assistance that can be offered on line. Bill Z

jixxxer
02-03-2009, 09:00 PM
im in eunice near lafayette. I had a friend stop by thats an electrican and he confirmed that the starter is bad; i just couldnt beleive how difficult it was to take of two bolts! Hopefully thats the only problem, looking at those pics anyone know what that orange wire is; i pretty sure it connects to the alternater....a ground maybe?

jixxxer
02-04-2009, 09:22 AM
The starter is easy to get to, and very easy to get off/replace.

We must be talking about different engines huh? It took me an hour to take to bolts off! All i was able to use was a box end wrench and I had to feel for the bolts with the ability to make a 1" turn at a time. Any ideas when i put it back on? Also if the shop dont rebuild it; wheres the cheapest place to get one?

flipper
02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
We must be talking about different engines huh? It took me an hour to take to bolts off! All i was able to use was a box end wrench and I had to feel for the bolts with the ability to make a 1" turn at a time. Any ideas when i put it back on? Also if the shop dont rebuild it; wheres the cheapest place to get one?

It's been a while since I did it on my friends boat, and don't remember what I used. Socket with a swivel? Long extension so you get past what's in your way? I do have a different engine in mine, so I can't go look at anything to give you ideas....sorry:o

As far as a new starter, either a dealer or skidim is probably your best bet. Don't go to an auto store to get one as it won't be a marine starter.

TMCNo1
02-04-2009, 09:59 AM

MC dealer or here, http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1030

Ron Grover
02-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Good old plugs.

My sure fire way of not forgeting plug either way is I have tied a loop of cord on my plug. Plug never is put in until I am on the ramp and removed on the ramp when I pull it out.

The loop of cord is for a quick loop around the steering wheel. Cannot get in seat to start engine without plug banging on my knee. Been boating since I was 12 so that makes it over 40 years. Had a couple experiences of "forgot the plug" 40 years ago when dad was putting in the boat so I have learned. Have not had an accident since.

WTRSK1R
02-04-2009, 05:41 PM
Also if the shop dont rebuild it; wheres the cheapest place to get one?

If you get it rebuilt make SURE that the rebuilder realizes its a MARINE starter and keeps it that way.

You can find an automotive replacement that would be cheaper, but if you do, it will not be built to eliminate sparks and any fumes in your bilge area become a time bomb waiting for the right combination of gas, oxygen and ignition.

It is not worth any amount of money to take this risk.

:twocents: