PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Installation

russlars
02-02-2009, 03:13 PM
I am considering installing Perfect Pass Wake Edition on my '99 205 with the LTR engine. This will be the mechanical system since I do not have drive by wire. After talking with Mark at PP about the stall it sounds like the most difficult part will be getting the power from the dash to the engine compartment. He mentioned following the same path as the throttle cable. Has anyone done this type of install themself or would it be best to leave it to the dealer? Are there any other install glitches that I should be prepared for? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Patrick Hardy
02-02-2009, 03:25 PM
I have not done it myself, but I have a friend who is in the auto / boat repair business who can install PP pretty cheap. I do not know where in the NW you are? but if you are interested, give me a PM and I can give you his info.

bturner2
02-02-2009, 08:30 PM
I installed mine in my 03 X2 last spring. I actually had the cable connectors for the power and paddle wheel next to the sub woofer that I plugged into the control unit. Running the wire back to the engine was pretty easy. There's already a hole in the floor for the throttle cable and by opening the ski locker you shold be able to easily fish the wire through. Just take your time and tie wrap the wires as you go. With moderate skills you can do this job. You may as well give it a shot. If you follow the instructions you'll be able to do it. The worst that can happen is you discover it was a bit too much and then you pay someone. Now buck up and get out there and get it done! (sorry, thought I'd end with a little pep talk and insperation)

Footin
02-02-2009, 08:39 PM
I did the install in my 205, total time was about 2.5 hours......piece if cake.

ProStar Slalom
02-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Not too difficult at all...just ask anyone on TT for help if you get stuck along the way. Only scary part for me on my '87 install was drilling a 2" hole in the hull for a paddle wheel, but all worked out fine, and I've got limited mechanical skizzles.

beef
02-03-2009, 10:10 AM
I've done my own and two friends' boats. Very easy. Use a fish tape to route the wires.

brucemac
02-03-2009, 10:38 AM
did mine last year on my 03 X-2. do it yourself and save the money for sure. have a friend come over and enjoy a couple cold one's while you do it. if i can do it, so can you. just take your time and do it right. good luck!

russlars
02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Not too difficult at all...just ask anyone on TT for help if you get stuck along the way. Only scary part for me on my '87 install was drilling a 2" hole in the hull for a paddle wheel, but all worked out fine, and I've got limited mechanical skizzles.
From what I am told, the hole for the paddlewheel is no longer necessary since the newer systems run off of GPS. Good thing for me, I could never bring myself to drilling a hole in my boat, especially below the waterline! Thanks for the encouragement.

ProStar Slalom
02-03-2009, 10:54 AM
From what I am told, the hole for the paddlewheel is no longer necessary since the newer systems run off of GPS. Good thing for me, I could never bring myself to drilling a hole in my boat, especially below the waterline! Thanks for the encouragement.

Yes, if you go the stargazer route, you won't need to drill.

bainez23
02-03-2009, 11:14 AM
did mine last year on my 03 X-2. do it yourself and save the money for sure. have a friend come over and enjoy a couple cold one's while you do it. if i can do it, so can you. just take your time and do it right. good luck!

brucemac what system did you buy i have the same year and model boat and would like to do this install as well not sure if i could piece a system together or buy new?

russlars
02-03-2009, 12:40 PM
Bruce, was yours a mechanical system also, or is your boat "drive by wire"? How did you go about fishing the power wire back into the engine compartment?

brucemac
02-03-2009, 01:37 PM
with a lot of help from teamtalk members. :D

Is yours a direct drive? if it is, I would think it would be even easier than mine. Mine is mechanical, MCX and V-Drive.

On the 205V/X-2 V-Drives You have to loosen the rear bench seat to be able to pull up the center floor piece. Once that was out, you can see what needs to be done and where the wire can be ran. On my boat, the wires come out from behind the dash, toward the bow and then right below the starboard side bow seat back (right behind the dash), they disappear into the floor. I believe the steering cable is there along with a wire loom. I used an old RG6 coax cable to phish the wire down that hole in the floor into the exposed area back by the gas tank. Once you get there, you're home free. You can run the wire, follow the instructions and zip tie it off.

I'll see if I can dig up my post.

brucemac
02-03-2009, 01:43 PM
here you go bud. this should be helpful. if you have any questions, please feel free to pm me. you can do it! trust me, if i can do it, anybody can do it! (although i understand your fear).

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=24107&highlight=installing+stargazer+wake

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/593533.jpg

russlars
02-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Bruce, that looks like it turned out awesome. Good job. You have given me the courage to give this a go myself. Since mine is a DD, maybe it will be a little easier??? So did you order your PP directly from them? How were the installation diagrams and instructions? Any difficulties getting the dash apart and back together? Is that the "Wake Edition"? How has it worked out for you? Anything you would do different?
Thanks again--looks great!

brucemac
02-03-2009, 07:41 PM
you should check with jeffinco from that thread i posted. his is a DD i think. i'm not 100% sure, but i think it's easier. mine is the Stargazer Wake Edition and i bought mine from skiertoskier.com who shipped it out super fast and were great to deal with.

someone referred me to them and i bought my OJ prop upgrade from them too.

the instructions were a little hard to follow, but not too bad. i would suggest calling PP and talk with their customer service/tech support and ask them

1. if they know if your model make year, has the little "magic white plug" in it behind the dash that MC started installing at some point. someone here may know. if you do, that makes it even easier and you could possibly get water temp on the PP display if you do. i had it and it was a total bonus! I didn't have it before. just the dual speedos and the tach with the hour meter.

2. ask them if there's any tips/tricks for your year DD

they're super nice and were glad to help

they even sent me some additional info via email that pertained to my motor

i really like mine. it's awesome. i've only had a few minor issues. one being that when i let off the throttle due to a downed rider and start to make the turn (slowly so to not make rollers) sometimes it wants to reengage and surges forward, i don't think i'm pulling far enough back on the throttle or not timing it right. it could also be something that they are addressing in their upcoming firmware upgrade regarding corners. other than that, it's been awesome and those issues have been minor quirks really.

good luck and let us know!!

brucemac
02-03-2009, 07:48 PM
oh and the dash was super easy, although it would have been more difficult if i had to completly remove it. some of the older guages require a bit more work. mine had a plug on it. i was able to pull it up and away just enough to replace the guage and wire the receiver.

russlars
02-28-2009, 03:22 AM
Finished the Perfect Pass Stargazer install today and thought I would post a few pics of the project.:) Haven't had a chance to try it out on the water yet--still a little chilly for that. Thanks so much to all who gave me advice and especially brucemac who have me the courage to do this myself. It really was pretty straightforward. The whole install took about 3-4 hours working by myself. Now that I have done it, I could probably do another one in 1/2 the time!;)

sand2snow22
02-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Nice I finished mine awhile back too. Can't wait to get it out there on the water!

brucemac
03-03-2009, 08:06 PM
hey nice work!!! that looks great!

beatle78
03-04-2009, 01:19 PM
FYI,

I believe mymc had the best price on pp when I was looking. And he's an active member here! :)

I ordered mine through him.

russlars
03-04-2009, 01:42 PM
FYI,

I believe mymc had the best price on pp when I was looking. And he's an active member here! :)

I ordered mine through him.
Didn't think to check mymc, but did call a few other places including Perfect Pass directly. Best price I could find on the Stargazer Wake Edition was $1097 from http://www.skiertoskier.com/

beatle78
03-04-2009, 02:53 PM
Yah, I don't even remember what a good price was... oh and I have no clue what Stargazer is. That must have come out on the last 2 years.

russlars
03-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Yah, I don't even remember what a good price was... oh and I have no clue what Stargazer is. That must have come out on the last 2 years.
FYI. Stargazer is GPS based speed control. The GPS sensor is that little black puck that sits on the dash. Or in other words, you don't have to drill a hole in your boat for a paddle wheel. I really don't think I could have done that. It is supposed to be more accurate than a paddle wheel. It also has RPM speed control mode.

beatle78
03-05-2009, 08:50 AM
ahhhh, that's pretty slick.

I'll tell you how you come to drilling a 1.5" hole in your hull. Let your wife pull you around a few times with speeds varying from 15-28mph. You'll start drilling before the boat is out of the water.:rant:

dummy
03-05-2009, 09:07 AM

I'll tell you how you come to drilling a 1.5" hole in your hull. Let your wife pull you around a few times with speeds varying from 15-28mph. You'll start drilling before the boat is out of the water.:rant:

Dude, that's soooo true!

georgea0731
07-15-2009, 10:31 PM
Help, I've read the manual, trouble shooting and can't find if I am suppose to re-calibrate idle and HOW?
Anyone have any suggestions. please email amonette516@comcast.net Thanks in advance.

bigmac
07-15-2009, 11:52 PM

Agreed. I have contemplated upgrading my PPWP to Stargazer, but I've heard that the speed can vary A LOT in the turn-arounds, and that it can take far longer for the speed to settle back in once you come out of the turn. True or false?

bigmac
07-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Help, I've read the manual, trouble shooting and can't find if I am suppose to re-calibrate idle and HOW?
Anyone have any suggestions. please email amonette516@comcast.net Thanks in advance.

Dude...how can anyone make sense of that question?

"New Servor installed by dealer, Idling at 1700 & 2100m 1st gear at 1100"

What does that even mean? Your boat has gears?

sand2snow22
07-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Dude...how can anyone make sense of that question?

"New Servor installed by dealer, Idling at 1700 & 2100m 1st gear at 1100"

What does that even mean? Your boat has gears?

Is that 1st gear in forward or reverse? MB's got 2 gears! Just hang on when it shifts from 1st to 2nd:)

Craig
07-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Agreed. I have contemplated upgrading my PPWP to Stargazer, but I've heard that the speed can vary A LOT in the turn-arounds, and that it can take far longer for the speed to settle back in once you come out of the turn. True or false?

Just put PPSG in our 94 in March.

With the latest software, in slalom mode, there is no big jump in speed in the turns any longer, this was a Febuary-ish fix by PP. It does take longer for the speed to settle in regardless of if you are spinning or not. We had to learn to drive with a bit more finesse with PPSG compared to classic.

Trick mode the revving during turns is still an issue, we usually just either dis-engage the system during the turn or pull the throttle back till it gives us the '#' symbol. I think this was a problem with the paddlewheel as well.

PP classic is built into PPSG but the small issues we have had have never caused us to even consider using it. Our end course times are always nearly spot on, usually 16.06-16.10 for me and 16.93-16.97 for my lady. If we stop at 1 or 2 ball they end up being a bit hotter than this but always within tolerance. This is with any wind conditions and any various size skier with any style.

bigmac
07-16-2009, 10:41 AM
Just put PPSG in our 94 in March.

With the latest software, in slalom mode, there is no big jump in speed in the turns any longer, this was a Febuary-ish fix by PP. It does take longer for the speed to settle in regardless of if you are spinning or not. We had to learn to drive with a bit more finesse with PPSG compared to classic.

Trick mode the revving during turns is still an issue, we usually just either dis-engage the system during the turn or pull the throttle back till it gives us the '#' symbol. I think this was a problem with the paddlewheel as well.

PP classic is built into PPSG but the small issues we have had have never caused us to even consider using it. Our end course times are always nearly spot on, usually 16.06-16.10 for me and 16.93-16.97 for my lady. If we stop at 1 or 2 ball they end up being a bit hotter than this but always within tolerance. This is with any wind conditions and any various size skier with any style.Thanks for the info. I guess the issue for me is wakeboard mode at 20-22 mph. My current problem relates to the placement of the paddlewheel on my V-drive....it's located too far forward (as necessitated by the gas tank location) and the result is that with Wakeboard Pro engaged at 22 mph, it speeds up a lot in a left turn, but not in a right turn. The speed does settle in quickly and it manages the speed accurately unless the water gets too choppy.

It sounds like, even with the new software, that Stargazer wouldn't really be an improvement for me unless the combination of paddlewheel and GPS adds some advantage or fixes some problem I'm already having. Bottom line, for me, though is that if it won't fix the speed-up in a left turn, Stargazer won't fix anything for me.

sand2snow22
07-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the info. I guess the issue for me is wakeboard mode at 20-22 mph. My current problem relates to the placement of the paddlewheel on my V-drive....it's located too far forward (as necessitated by the gas tank location) and the result is that with Wakeboard Pro engaged at 22 mph, it speeds up a lot in a left turn, but not in a right turn. The speed does settle in quickly and it manages the speed accurately unless the water gets too choppy.

It sounds like, even with the new software, that Stargazer wouldn't really be an improvement for me unless the combination of paddlewheel and GPS adds some advantage or fixes some problem I'm already having. Bottom line, for me, though is that if it won't fix the speed-up in a left turn, Stargazer won't fix anything for me.

Just make all right turns! Your boat should turn to the right better than the left anyway :D

georgea0731
07-17-2009, 09:26 AM
After a 2nd one hour trip to the dealer, Service Manager got it adjusted. Idle is 730 rpm. Isn't it suppose to be around 650? FYI, he just had to unscrew the brass nut. A simple fix, but I thought it had to do with the new cable on the servor which was a lot longer.

Craig
07-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess the issue for me is wakeboard mode at 20-22 mph. My current problem relates to the placement of the paddlewheel on my V-drive....it's located too far forward (as necessitated by the gas tank location) and the result is that with Wakeboard Pro engaged at 22 mph, it speeds up a lot in a left turn, but not in a right turn. The speed does settle in quickly and it manages the speed accurately unless the water gets too choppy.

The paddlewheel is not utilized for anything anymore aside from lake temp.

I believe that wakeboard mode runs the same as trick mode so, I agree, it does not sound like PPSG would fix the issue you are having.