PDA

View Full Version : Info on Allentown, PA

A.I. Rider
02-02-2009, 03:33 PM
Good Afternoon all,
I am looking at a new position in the Allentown area and I am interested in what is the wakeboarding/ lake scene like in this area. Currently, I am living in Northeast Florida where we have plenty of lakes and rivers to ride around within a relatively short drive. I am fairly unfamiliar with the area and need a little bit of help from anyone with any information. We have a boat here in Florida, and will be debating whether or not to sell it during or after this potential transition, based on how much we truly feel we will be able to enjoy it up there. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

I know, I will probably hear from everyone that I am crazy to move away from florida, but this may be just too good of an opportunity to pass up. Again, thanks for all help.

Brian

PA Prostar
02-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Brian,

I live about 25 miles south of Allentown. Unfortunately, your choices are going to be very limited. There are only about 3 or 4 places I know of within a 30-40 minute drive. There are limited areas on the Delaware river (PA/NJ border) and Schuylkill river (just outside northwest Phila). Both the rivers are shallow and somewhat dirty. Beltzville is a lake (state park) a few miles north of Allentown. It's where we go most of the time but it is fairly open and there is a designated ski area. During the season, you'll have to go during the week. Weekends are crowded, if not full. Unfortunately, the ski area is out in the open also, so if you slalom, like I pretend to, you're pretty much out of luck because it's "Wallyworld" all the time. I'm hoping someone else can tell you something, because I'd like to find another option or a quiet place myself.

Keep in mind, admitting that you have a problem (thinking of moving to PA from FL) is the first step to recovery!!! So I wish you the best in your recovery or endeavors if you so choose.

Doug G
02-03-2009, 08:28 AM
Brian,

There is a crew that rides in the river locally. Never gone, can't tell you much about it. Beltzville is what PA prostar says. Lake Wallenpaupack is in the poconos about 1 1/4 hours north of Atown. I keep my boat in a slip up there. Great MC dealer. No decent weekend riding except for 6 am and dusk. Weekdays great calm water but a bit of a drive. Lots of fun on weekends , with lots of ppl hanging in coves, general goofing around , way too man toobers to do anything but toob, etc ... just not riding on smooth water. If you have kids find a house in Parkland School district, fantastic school system, low crime areas etc. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you wish I live in the suburbs outside Allentown (Fogelsville if you want to google it)

Hope you like cold and are ready to give up the year round season ... Lake temps in May are in the 50's :)

A.I. Rider
02-03-2009, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the information everyone. I couldnt really find much on any maps, and I am using this info to try and help me decide if we are going to sell the boat during this posible transition. I would do my best not not give up wakeboaridng alltogether. Hopefully, find a group up in the area, and be able to latch on a bit for a few months.

Doug, thanks for the local info on schools districts and such. We are expecting our first right now, but that is something we are looking very hard into at this point.

Thanks again for the help.

Jim@BAWS
02-03-2009, 02:48 PM
There are a few folks on here from that area. The best thing to do is find out
what ZIPCODE you are moving to near Allentown or Easton. Go to www.mastercraft.com and enter that zipcode. It will bring up maybe 1-3 dealers in that area. Call them...they will let you know the deal. I know that there is a dealer near Lake Wallenpaupack (sp)

This should help

Jim@BAWS

dog paw
02-03-2009, 04:21 PM
Raystown is a very nice lake, but its a pretty good haul from Allentown

surfacetension
02-04-2009, 03:00 PM
I live 20 miniutes east of Allentown , in NJ we have some nice spots in NJ , PM me and I will give you the details , Quite lake with 2 ski runs NEVER crowded, don't want to mess that up by posting , sorry

BUSSTUFJ
02-09-2009, 09:25 AM
I live in the Lehigh Valley and agree with the postings so far. Calm water is tough to find on Beltsville, Walenpaupack or Reading. I end up traveling to overnight destinations like Raystown, Deep Creek, or the NY Finger lakes for good water.

There is a small private waterski club in Bethlehem but is very diffciult to get membership too, long waitng lists and you need to know someone in the club.

If you end up living here or traveling to visit email me and I will meet you to discuss this.

Good Luck

Jerseydave
02-09-2009, 01:30 PM
We ride the Delaware river just south of Trenton, NJ (Florence-Bordentown) It is THE HOT SPOT for wakeboarding! The water is not that dirty, no salt water and it's very deep (35-35 feet).....perfect for a nice wakeboard wake! We have 30-40 people here that a really into wakeboard sports. www.njwakefest.com is held here every summer too.
It's about 1 hour +/- from Allentown, not bad for a day on the water.

If you just want to slalom, check into the private lakes mentioned by surfacetension.
We also use to be members of the Port Indian ski club in Norristown PA mostly for slalom and barefoot. Nice group of peeps.

Feel free to send me a PM, come join us on the river sometime. I'd be more than happy to show you around.

Here's a pic

A.I. Rider
02-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Again, thanks for the info guys. I will follow through on some of these ideas should I end up in the area.