PDA

View Full Version : 205v fully auto ballast system

didierz
02-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Hey guys, I've been cruising this form for a while and decided to join the forums. Have you guys seen a fully auto ballast sytem with 4 solenoid valves and twin Johnson 13gpm pumps used on a 205v before? I've got all the materials ready for the install this spring. I'm using a custom steel tube manifold that can direct water to any of the four sacs or individuialy as needed for surf setup. Both pumps always run simultainously, flooding the mainfold with 26 gpm for quick fill and drain to any disered sac. Four rocker switches for the sacs and one 3 pole rocker for both pumps. I'm using only two tru hulls for water in/out and 4 overflow with one way check valves. Just curious about anyone using 12v solenoid gate valves on their setup with a central manifold?

didierz
02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Sorry pics here.

didierz
02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Here are some inital mock up pictures of the manifold and pumps in there approximate lacation. The 3/4 swing check valves are attached to overflow lines on all the sac's. I did a two pump test with a T fitting on each pump and fill times were about 8 minutes, filled approx 1800lbs. Empty times were about 9 minutes. It looks like for surfing the left or right rear 750# and center 300# bags can be filled with both pumps in about 4 minutes. I will have the manifold built and fitted out by Saturday and can test with all the solenoids in place and see how much head pressure is lost. Im using the factory ACC ACC2 and ACC3 position switches on the left lower dash and adding one more cut out for another switch opening all four bag valves. I have yet to find a spot for the pump switch, I'm using one switch, relayed to both motors to eliminate 8awg wire from front to back. I'll try to keep pics as it progresses.

didierz
02-14-2009, 07:20 PM
A little more progress on the manifold. Its 1/8" steel tubing and 1/8" end caps. I got the nipples welded on for the two pumps and two of the valve fittings. I still need to attach the end caps and install the fittings for the other two valves.

woody
02-14-2009, 07:25 PM
Thats looking tidy. One of our boats is a 2005 X2 ..aka 205V and they have agood wake. You'veprobably seen it but if not check the following to see if there's anything that might help

http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=1482

didierz
02-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Thanks, belive me I've checked out Phat's post like a hundred times. Definetly one of the cleanest 205's I've seen. I changed the rear bags to Sraight Lines Sumo's 900#. My buddy works at a ski and board shop and he suggested two of these and they were a great brother-in-law deal!!

didierz
02-18-2009, 08:35 PM
I got the manifold finished last night. Had to use ample rust-proof paint to keep any standing water inside the manifold from rusting from the inside out. A few small changes on the intake side of the manifold, one 1 1/4" tru-hull scupper will be used for both pumps. The smallest size of the system is the i.d. of the Johnsons @ 3/4". Having twice the diameter at the intake should be plenty for both pumps to share. Does anybody think 90 degree elbows hinder flow enough not to use them directly off the valves?

didierz
04-25-2009, 04:31 PM
The manifold 2 pump setup was not quite what I had in mind. After doing extensive testing out of the boat, I found that to get a positive displacement water valve to overcome its spring pressure when water flow is reversed is very tricky. The solenoid valves I was using worked great in the normal flow direction, but when the pumps were reversed vacuum from the pumps caused the gates to lift off their seats and draw water even when not enegrized. I scrapped that entire system and started fresh. I'm glad I bench tested every thing before installing it. I went with a 5 bag system similar to all of the other 205V installs we have around here. Here are some more build out photos.

Used 10 guage fed wires directly of the battery with a relay to a 30 amp buse style distribution block, Yellow wires are feds to the four ballast switches. 10 gauge wire all the way back to the pumps in 3/4 split loom under the service floor. Brown lugs are negative wires attached to the boats ground bar.

All ballast switches are on the lower left switch panel.

didierz
04-25-2009, 04:39 PM
The four Johnson pumps are mounted away under the rear bech seat and on the back seat upright. They are fed water by 2, 1 1/4 bronze scuupers. One scuuper for each 2 bank pump setup. They have shut off ball valves of coarse. I used 3/4 hose and swing style check valves on all bags for overflow.

didierz
04-25-2009, 04:53 PM
This are some pics with the rear 900's filled and the center 300lb filled. I can pump from left to right in the rear bags to switch from regular to goofy side surf wakes as well. One bag emptys into the other and the oposite bag fills from the scuuper. Almost twice as fast than filling and emptying one at a time. The rears can fill to max size1800 lb. The center 10x80 fly high locker bg can too 300 lb. The two front 225 sumo bags fill to about 80%. So its around 2460-2480Lbs of automatic ballast. Fill times under way or at idle are around 6 minutes. 2400lbs/8.34 lb per gallon = 287 gallons and 52gpm pumps running at full lift = approx 6-7 minutes.

Thumbs
08-24-2009, 06:08 PM
Wow!

That original setup was pretty interesting though I did wonder about all of the 90 degree angles. I had not even thought about the pumps overwhelming the check valves.

Thanks for posting- I learn something from every one of these I read. Hopefully my system will turn out well. Stay tuned...

FoggyNogginz
03-31-2010, 11:58 AM
Sweet looking surf wake on that 205! Excellent work!