PDA

View Full Version : My Gelcoat repair

TOO-TALL
01-31-2009, 11:35 PM
I had a litttle nick in my gelcoat under the swim platform.
I must have hit the hull with my sky ski wing as I was sliding the Sky ski off the swim platform and into the water..:mad:

Anyway I bought the Spectrum patch paste repair.For this lilltle job the patch paste kit worked vey good.Very easy to do.
Here are some before and after pics.

TOO-TALL
01-31-2009, 11:36 PM
Nick in hull.....

TOO-TALL
01-31-2009, 11:37 PM
Paste applied...

TOO-TALL
01-31-2009, 11:39 PM
And finished.....
The color match turned out really well too....

erkoehler
02-01-2009, 12:38 AM
Nice work! You just saved yourself a couple hundred bucks :)

bigmac
02-01-2009, 09:52 AM
I have a few little nicks on my swim platform from hydrofoils, too. Good to know your repair turned out so well. I have some of that color-matched Spectrum stuff I haven't used yet, also in Sunrise yellow.

Sodar
02-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Looks great! I will have to pick some of that up!

KnoxX2
02-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Looks great Too Tall!!!

Footin
02-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Nice job Troy!

brucemac
02-01-2009, 12:48 PM
good work, hey where did you buy that at? i wouldn't mind having one just in case.

nevermind, found it:
http://www.spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm

wow, $20, sweet!

kycat2007
02-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Nice job Troy

ORX-1
02-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Does anyone know if you have to color match if you have a white boat? My guess is stands color before anything is added is white but not sure if it would match the MC white.

bigmac
02-03-2009, 12:25 PM
Does anyone know if you have to color match if you have a white boat? My guess is stands color before anything is added is white but not sure if it would match the MC white.
Spectrum's website lists specific MasterCraft colors by year. White has been consistently the same color, "Glacier White", from 1987 to 2007. Naturally, that doesn't take into account weather and aging, but generally, unoxidised polyester gelcoat is very color-stable. Acid wash it or buff it out and it should be pretty much the same color as it ever was.

JMann
02-03-2009, 03:17 PM
good work, hey where did you buy that at? i wouldn't mind having one just in case.

nevermind, found it:
http://www.spectrumcolor.com/catalog.htm

wow, $20, sweet!

I can only find it in quart can. Where did you find that little jar for $20? I don't see that on the web site.

Thanks

Sodar
02-03-2009, 03:26 PM
Catalog>GelCoat Products>MasterCraft>Choose your color and patch kit.

flipper
02-03-2009, 03:53 PM
I can only find it in quart can. Where did you find that little jar for $20? I don't see that on the web site.

Thanks

What color do you need?

JMann
02-03-2009, 07:11 PM
I need the Grey Dawn for a 1991. I called and that color isn't available in a patch kit I need to buy a quart. I'm not willing to buy a quart I would have done it for $20 but not for $90.
Thanks

Yellow X9
02-03-2009, 08:58 PM
Question, I have afew nicks on my X9, saw your before and after pixs, look good BTW. I would like to attempt this myself-easily done? could you give a short overview of the steps to take when applying' Application start to finish- short version, obviously

Thank you.

TOO-TALL
02-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Question, I have afew nicks on my X9, saw your before and after pixs, look good BTW. I would like to attempt this myself-easily done? could you give a short overview of the steps to take when applying' Application start to finish- short version, obviously

Thank you.

It's so easy.
1-Mix alittle bit of Gel coat paste on a peice of cardboard put a few drops of catalyst and mix together.The directions say to use half the jar of paste but, I thought that would to much for my little repar.
2-After mixing together smear it on the repair area with a puddy knife.
3-Let dry.
4-Wet Sand starting with 220 all the way up to 1000-1200.
5-buff the area.

This repair will fix 98% of the nick or scratch.
If you look really close at my nick you can see alittle bit even after the rapair but, it looks waaaaay better then before.

scott023
02-07-2009, 10:21 AM
Looks great Too-Tall... too bad they don't have any of the flake paint kits available. I was going to get one "just in case."

east tx skier
02-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Spectrum's website lists specific MasterCraft colors by year. White has been consistently the same color, "Glacier White", from 1987 to 2007. Naturally, that doesn't take into account weather and aging, but generally, unoxidised polyester gelcoat is very color-stable. Acid wash it or buff it out and it should be pretty much the same color as it ever was.

That's the key. From the people who have done repairs on my previous boat, white is the hardest to match after a few years. With white, I've never bothered ordering the matched color from Spectrum. My guy has just matched it with what he had on hand to the point where it is not detectable. With white, I think money may be just as well spent on an experienced glass repair person as opposed to more expensive color matched gel coat.

With any other color, that may not be the case. And from all I can see from Too-Tall's great repair, that is probably the case.

bigmac
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
That's the key. From the people who have done repairs on my previous boat, white is the hardest to match after a few years. With white, I've never bothered ordering the matched color from Spectrum. My guy has just matched it with what he had on hand to the point where it is not detectable. With white, I think money may be just as well spent on an experienced glass repair person as opposed to more expensive color matched gel coat.

With any other color, that may not be the case. And from all I can see from Too-Tall's great repair, that is probably the case.

Filling occasional nicks with Spectrum's $20 color-specific (even white) gelcoat paste kit is one thing, gelcoating a large area of gelcoat disruption is another. If I were just filling some nicks, I don't think there would be much color mismatch that would show, especially if one properly prepped the area before applying the paste and fine-sanded afterward as Too-Tall did. If we're talking about a larger area, I agree with Doug and I'd definitely have it done by an expert, and in that case my experience has been the same - that those guys (the good ones, anyway) will definitely hand mix and match ANY color that they apply over a larger area.

Personally, given my body shop skills, I wouldn't be afraid to fill in nicks, but I would never buy a quart of the stuff because if I need that much gelcoat, I'm gonna want it done by someone a LOT better than me at dealing with this very specialized repair.

east tx skier
02-07-2009, 11:45 AM
That's probably the case with the chips and nicks. My father in law bought a quart of the spectrum blue for some larger repairs he had done and that stuff is very pricey.

Yellow X9
02-07-2009, 12:02 PM
It's so easy.
1-Mix alittle bit of Gel coat paste on a peice of cardboard put a few drops of catalyst and mix together.The directions say to use half the jar of paste but, I thought that would to much for my little repar.
2-After mixing together smear it on the repair area with a puddy knife.
3-Let dry.
4-Wet Sand starting with 220 all the way up to 1000-1200.
5-buff the area.

This repair will fix 98% of the nick or scratch.
If you look really close at my nick you can see alittle bit even after the rapair but, it looks waaaaay better then before.

Thanks for the step by step, waitin g for it to show up to get started. Just afew small dock scratches to fix up