PDA

View Full Version : Jack & Lug Wrench

boatwake
05-13-2005, 09:39 AM
I have a few questions concerning changing a trailer tire along the road:

1) What type of jack do you carry with you (tow vehicle's bottle, scissor, etc.)?
2) Does your tow vehicle lug wrench fit your boat or do you carry the correct size?
3) Where do you jack from on your trailer (axel, frame, etc.)?

The reason I ask is that I recently checked my tow vehicle's lug wrench. It didn't fit :eek: (I have been towing like this for years). The bottle jack in my tow vehicle would work if I placed the jack under the axel, but I'm concerned that may not be the best idea (I have a tandem with torsion axels). The bottle jack would not even come close to having enough height for lifting the frame. I would expect that it might be different for single vs. tandem or leaf spring vs. torsion axel trailers. I checked the MC trailer owner’s manual, but it didn't mention anything about what type of jack to use or where to jack from on the trailer. All it said is your tow vehicle's jack/wrench "might" work (gee thanks). Auto owner’s manuals go into great detail about what type / where to place it / and how to use a jack. Anyone have any insight?

erkoehler
05-13-2005, 09:44 AM
What size are the lugs? I will have to pick up the right size wrench for the trip to FL just in case.

boatwake
05-13-2005, 09:55 AM
I'm not positive, but I think they are 3/4 in. I'll have to look tonight.

erkoehler
05-13-2005, 09:55 AM
Looks like a trip to the hardware store.....If you wouldn't mind letting me know for sure, that would be awesome.

T Scott
05-13-2005, 10:01 AM
As far as a lug wrench, I bought an "X" stlye folding wrench that works great. It accomodates 4 different lug sizes and folds up easily. It only cost me about $15-20. I just leave it folded up and I store it under the back seat of my truck.

boatwake
05-13-2005, 10:02 AM
I've decided to pickup a universal wrench that should solve the problem. There are a number of options, but this one seemed pretty compact http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200304581&R=200304581.

OhioProstar
05-13-2005, 10:03 AM
I carry a small floor jack and the lugs are 3/4 or 13/16.

BriEOD
05-13-2005, 10:04 AM
I also have the X lug wrench. Also, since my truck is lifted, the stock jack will not raise up high enough. So, I have 2 pieces of 2x6 (squares) that I keep in my tool bag in the truck in case I need to jack up the truck and/or the boat.

Ric
05-13-2005, 10:34 AM
I have the 4way lug wrench and a hydraulic floor jack in the ole tool box and I will ruin a wheel and a tire to get to the next exit before I'll risk changing a tire on the side of the road. fwiw of course :D

DanC
05-13-2005, 11:34 AM
I use a bottle jack under the axle of my MC trailer with torsion axles. I have had two different dealers tell me this is ok. Both even said it is ok to tow with one tire missing for short distances at slow speed (the tire will hit the fender with every little bump)

River Rat
05-13-2005, 11:46 AM
1/2 in. socket set with a breakover bar and a hydraulic floor jack. I pull several trailers and no matter which one I have I will always have one that fits. Never depend on a car or truck jack unless you have tried it already. My first boat had to be left on the side of the road :eek3: because I broke my car jack trying use it. (that was before cell phones) NEVER assume it will work.

erkoehler
05-13-2005, 11:51 AM
Looks like I'll be picking up a floor jack and some jack stands along with some tie down straps from work today. Oh, and an air compressor.

Tom023
05-13-2005, 03:35 PM
I use these two items. Jiffy jack requires tandem trailer but works extremely well.

Lug wrench: http://www.gorilla-auto.com/products/?sfID1=270&sfID2=285

Jack: http://www.hitchesonline.com/jiffyjack/jiffy.htm

Cloaked
05-13-2005, 04:04 PM
I carry a 4-way lug wrench and a 2.5 ton floor jack in every vehicle. Screw jacks are in the trash somewhere...

ktn_cmu
05-13-2005, 04:42 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml;jsessionid=WGX0BY3QKY4KBTQSNOLSCOGOCJVY QIWE?id=0001881011032a&navCount=0&cmCat=srchdx&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx&_requestid=24930

These are pretty cool and don't take a tandem axle. You just place it under the axle and pull forward a little. Oh, and four-way lug wrenches are the way to go, they don't put side pressure on the studs, just torque.

Cloaked
05-13-2005, 06:31 PM
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml;jsessionid=WGX0BY3QKY4KBTQSNOLSCOGOCJVY QIWE?id=0001881011032a&navCount=0&cmCat=srchdx&cm_ven=srchdx&cm_ite=srchdx&_requestid=24930

These are pretty cool and don't take a tandem axle. You just place it under the axle and pull forward a little. Oh, and four-way lug wrenches are the way to go, they don't put side pressure on the studs, just torque.They are great until the contraption sinks into soft soil or hot asphalt or tilt over on an decline.... :rolleyes:

mika
05-23-2005, 11:04 PM
I carry a floor jack with me and a cordless impact wrench with the right size socket. Makes changing tires a less then 5 minute job. Had an issue a few years back with a snowmobile trailer. Rusted lugs and it was 1am. I had my whole tool box with me but still took an hour to get the damn tire off. That was the night I wished I had the cordless impact, I never leave home with out it. And yes you should remove your tires at least once a year and apply some antiseize to the threads and the hub. Wish I did that night!

east tx skier
05-24-2005, 10:46 AM
I have the 4way lug wrench and a hydraulic floor jack in the ole tool box and I will ruin a wheel and a tire to get to the next exit before I'll risk changing a tire on the side of the road. fwiw of course :D

Same here. For lifting, I position the jack under the axle.

Thrall
05-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Jack up under the axle definately.
Remember also, if you have a tandem axle trailer, you can "chain up" the corner w/ a flat tire and run on 3 wheels easily. I hold your speed down a bit if you do though. To do this, jack up the flat from the axle until its a few inches off the ground and wrap a sturdy chain under the axle and over the frame (chain w/ a hook). Take out as much slack as you can and let down the jack. It will xfer all the weight to the other tire on that side.

jayocheskey
05-24-2005, 01:40 PM
I've decided to pickup a universal wrench that should solve the problem. There are a number of options, but this one seemed pretty compact http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=200304581&R=200304581.
That's what I carry. It also comes in handy if you ever see an elderly person on the side of the road with a flat. Always stop and help if you see that is the case -- we'd all want someone to stop and help our parents or grandparents, right?

jayocheskey
05-24-2005, 01:42 PM
Also, don't forget to set the parking brake. I worked at a tire store in college - saw a pretty scary accident once. ALWAYS set the parking brake, and if possible -- wheel blocks.