PDA

View Full Version : Good Amp

Shane21
01-29-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm in the market to add an amp to my stereo system. I found a 1000W x 4 channel Pyle for about $120. Has anyone installed one of these? Price sounds a little too good to be true. If not, does anyone have any other recommendations for a good marine amp in the $100 - $200 range?

Thanks!!!

Wake2wake
01-29-2009, 11:35 PM
that is actually the amp that i installed this past summer, and i am very happy with it. but i have also never had anything else hooked up to my speakers so i really have no comparison to say its as good as anything else. but It powers 4 Rockford Fosgate tower speakers that i installed on the tower this last summer with it. I am very happy with the results of that setup, but like i said, I don't have anything to compare it to. and since i am one of like 4 boats on my lake that even has a tower, there's not even really anything for me to compare to even on other boats that i see on a regular basis.

JimN
01-30-2009, 12:08 AM
I'm in the market to add an amp to my stereo system. I found a 1000W x 4 channel Pyle for about $120. Has anyone installed one of these? Price sounds a little too good to be true. If not, does anyone have any other recommendations for a good marine amp in the $100 - $200 range?

Thanks!!!

Does 1000W x 4 even sound reasonable at that price? Look at the fuses, add them up and that's the worst case current draw. P=IE, so at 14.4VDC, 4000W=277.78A x 14.4V. At 12V, it's 333.33A. Assuming 50% efficiency, double these numbers.

The rating isn't even close to the real output.

Shane21
01-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Actually what I meant was that it's a 1000W amp (250W x 4). That would give you 1000W = 69.4A x 14.4V. And at 12V, it's 83.3A. That should make more sense.

But it sounds like someone has already had good luck with it. Wake2Wake is the sound quality good? Is it pretty powerful? I plan on putting it on 2 wakeboard tower speakers as well as 2 5-1/4" speakers in the boat.

jamisonsbrodie
01-30-2009, 03:49 PM
FYI, that power number that Pyle is using is the MAX output #, and these are nowhere near the RMS/continuous power #. Actual power is probably more like 50 watts x 4 RMS at most.

JimN
01-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Actually what I meant was that it's a 1000W amp (250W x 4). That would give you 1000W = 69.4A x 14.4V. And at 12V, it's 83.3A. That should make more sense.

But it sounds like someone has already had good luck with it. Wake2Wake is the sound quality good? Is it pretty powerful? I plan on putting it on 2 wakeboard tower speakers as well as 2 5-1/4" speakers in the boat.

OK, add up the total of the fuses, calculate the power from that and take 50%, unless it's some variation of Class D. Class AB is about 50% efficient and unfortunately, car audio amp manufacturers are notoriously "optimistic" in their specs. I have heard of one amp that's pretty reasonable, puts out good power, I think it has Mos-Fets and doesn't get hot. My friend who has a business updating old car radios with clean-up, fresh innards, iPod inputs, line outx4 + sub, etc sells them and he's actually impressed by these- which takes quite a bit. He has been in electronics for a long time and has actually checked current draw vs output at various voltages and he said it meets spec. I'll talk to him and find out what it was.

Post the model number of the Pyle, if you can. I'll see if it's the same one. My comments come from 25 years of car audio, so I'm generally skeptical of claims like this but they have been coming up with some interesting small amps that really get up and go.

brucemac
01-30-2009, 11:49 PM
jim whats your take on the wetsounds amps? class h, regulated ps, etc. just curious. planning on adding one or two. i respect your opinion.tia.

JimN
01-30-2009, 11:53 PM
jim whats your take on the wetsounds amps? class h, regulated ps, etc. just curious. planning on adding one or two. i respect your opinion.tia.

I have no experience with them. When I stopped doing car audio, I don't think they existed, or maybe they were just starting out. Class H isn't new, but it works.

Shane21
02-05-2009, 12:50 PM
You guys are getting way over my head in terms of these amps. The model I bought was a PLMRA420. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't buying a "Pyle" of cr@p.

TX.X-30 fan
02-05-2009, 02:01 PM
You guys are getting way over my head in terms of these amps. The model I bought was a PLMRA420. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't buying a "Pyle" of cr@p.

I'm with you that name is lame.

D3skier
02-05-2009, 03:11 PM

just to chime in regarding the wetsounds amps He recommended Cadence amps. I installed a 1600W amp for my Pro 80's and they are just rock solid. I've even managed to submerge it twice now and still kicking like a champ.

Wake2wake
02-05-2009, 04:13 PM
hey sorry about the delay, but as far as what i put in my boat, I have the amp powering 4 Rockford Fosgate tower speakers and the 4 interior speakers inside, and i wont say that its the loudest thing out there, but it plenty loud to hear when im boarding at 65 ft. and the quality is fine too. now as far as how i have all the speakers hooked up i don't think that its the best way, but thats the way all the speakers were hooked up on the old amp before it went out, so i just hooked the new one up the same way. the tower speakers are run in parallel with two speaker wires run up the tower.

Shane21
02-09-2009, 11:09 AM
That sounds like exactly the way mine is wired. I installed it this past weekend and it sounded pretty good sitting on the trailer in the driveway. We are headed to the river in 2 weeks, so it'll get the real test there. I'm not dissappointed as of yet anyway....