PDA

View Full Version : personal finance

Wake2wake
01-29-2009, 01:07 PM
OK so i am currently in a personal finance class and our current assignment is to come up with 5 stocks that will do well over the next four months. now i know that this is a very complicated matter, but i am just curious as to some of the stocks that you all might currently like or have high hopes for.
Thank you in advance for any input any of you have.

MYMC
01-29-2009, 01:10 PM
Anything that will do well as inflation hits...perhaps an ETF in gold like GLD? (not sure if that would count in your class)
I would also look hard at XOM

flipper
01-29-2009, 01:12 PM
Tell them you're going to invest in the cash rewards program!!!!:D

I kid

coz
01-29-2009, 01:19 PM
OK so i am currently in a personal finance class and our current assignment is to come up with 5 stocks that will do well over the next four months. now i know that this is a very complicated matter, but i am just curious as to some of the stocks that you all might currently like or have high hopes for.

I have shares in this company and they've went from pennies to what it is now in a short time and they're on the verge of a medical breakthrough http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ACTC.PK

wakeX2wake
01-29-2009, 01:30 PM
wal-mart... when people are in a bind they will buy cheaper stuff and that cheaper stuff is found at wal-mart

MYMC
01-29-2009, 01:36 PM
wal-mart... when people are in a bind they will buy cheaper stuff and that cheaper stuff is found at wal-mart
WMT, been a the same down hill run since October as everyone else which could signal a buying opportunity depending on where you think all this heads in the next 4 months.

Long article but an interesting read: http://seekingalpha.com/article/116297-evidence-that-big-inflation-is-coming

coz
01-29-2009, 01:44 PM

In todays market you need to invest for the long haul not short turm, because you'll lose.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=SOEN.OB

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=ESRG.PK

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=XSNXE.OB

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=AWNE.OB

russlars
01-29-2009, 01:44 PM
You might consider beer and cigarettes. As more and more people are out of work and stuck at home they will likely be using more and more of these! Add a little depression and feelings of hopelessness and this is where many will turn.

Jesus_Freak
01-29-2009, 01:47 PM
In todays market you need to invest for the long haul not short t[e]rm, because you'll lose.

Depends on when you buy and what you buy.;)

JimN
01-29-2009, 01:58 PM

Diversify, son!

What will people have to consume?

Do they have to be individual stocks or can it be a mutual stock or bond fund? Some of the bond funds are shelling out good dividends, too.

Ron Grover
01-29-2009, 01:58 PM
cerner cern

JimN
01-29-2009, 02:01 PM
You might consider beer and cigarettes. As more and more people are out of work and stuck at home they will likely be using more and more of these! Add a little depression and feelings of hopelessness and this is where many will turn.

They're talking about raising the cigarette tax here in WI. That puts at least one brand at $7/pack. People will not pay the high price for long, so they'll switch to a cheaper brand, if they have a piece of brain left. OTOH, if they had a little piece of brain, they wouldn't smoke in the first place.

chudson
01-29-2009, 02:07 PM
I am not really up on investmenting but I heard on the news yesterday that McDonalds is going to introduce an econoy type menu ($1 -$3 range) and like wakeX2wake said "when people are in a bind they will buy cheaper"!!! Goodluck
:twocents:

shepherd
01-29-2009, 02:13 PM
In todays market you need to invest for the long haul not short turm, because you'll lose.

Good advice. I'm no expert (in fact I don't even claim to be very smart about this stuff), but there appears to be a lot of good value out there. You just have to be willing to buy it now while it's cheap and wait out this recession until the prices come back up. Of course I'm talking about strong companies like GE or J&J who will most likely still be around then. Unfortunately for your assignment, that will probably take 4 years (or more), not 4 months. :(

coz
01-29-2009, 02:30 PM
Good advice. I'm no expert (in fact I don't even claim to be very smart about this stuff), but there appears to be a lot of good value out there. You just have to be willing to buy it now while it's cheap and wait out this recession until the prices come back up. Of course I'm talking about strong companies like GE or J&J who will most likely still be around then. Unfortunately for your assignment, that will probably take 4 years (or more), not 4 months. :(

I'm no expert either Shep :D but I do know the money I had in the big boys is now gone and my alternative energy penny stock are climbing. So I'll just sit and wait :D

Depends on when you buy and what you buy.

That's the way it used to be. You can be stock rich one day then loose everything the next because the way the world markets are today.

thijs
01-29-2009, 02:31 PM
I'd invest in Prozac, beer and bullets. Although not a lot of repeat buyers for the latter....

wakeX2wake
01-29-2009, 03:29 PM
I'd invest in Prozac, beer and bullets. Although not a lot of repeat buyers for the latter....

yea i know a couple of people i've talked to that are watching their retirement be cut by 30%-40% are about ready to go wash their mouth out w/ buckshot

personally i'm glad i'm too young to have much in mine... anyways i think when picking a good single stock to invest in its not only good to predict businesses and how they will behave but businesses in a free-market economy are consumer driven so think about the consumer and you'll have a map toward a good investment (hence my wal-mart suggestion... well theres that reasoning and i stand to inherit a good deal of wal-mart money someday)... maybe... but i'm far from a expert so take that w/ a grain of salt

coz
01-29-2009, 03:43 PM
yea i know a couple of people i've talked to that are watching their retirement be cut by 30%-40% are about ready to go wash their mouth out w/ buckshot

personally i'm glad i'm too young to have much in mine... anyways i think when picking a good single stock to invest in its not only good to predict businesses and how they will behave but businesses in a free-market economy are consumer driven so think about the consumer and you'll have a map toward a good investment (hence my wal-mart suggestion... well theres that reasoning and i stand to inherit a good deal of wal-mart money someday)... maybe... but i'm far from a expert so take that w/ a grain of salt

Wal Mart is down $16 from a $63 high http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=WMT

corey
01-29-2009, 03:44 PM
In the basic structure of economics supply is equal to demand. You can take this to mean that if a consumer has more income (or prices drop) they will consume more of a good and if their income falls (or prices increase) they will consume less.

Irrational goods do not follow this rule. For example a person with a comfortable amount of money will likely consume little to no Ramen Noodles, however as their income decreases and money becomes more scarce they may begin to consume more and more Ramen.

In the short term (4 months) I would look to invest in similar commodities.

WakePowell
01-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Consider stocks poised to gain quickly from the proposed economic stimulus package. A considerable amount of this investment is in infrastructure and there are a handful of large construction, materials and equipment firms poised to gain from this spending. Consider the following:

GVA (Granite Construction) – Large Domestic Construction Firm involved with infrastructure
FLR (Flour Corporation) – Large Domestic Construction Firm involved with infrastructure
SEK (Skanska) – Large Domestic Construction Firm involved with infrastructure
PCR (Perini Corp) – Large Domestic Construction Firm involved with infrastructure
Manitowoc (MTX)- Manufacture of cranes
Caterpillar (CAT) – Manufacture of equipment
Heidelberg Cement (XTERA) – Cement, concrete, asphalt and precast products (Hanson Materials)
Cemex (CX) – Lime and cement producer

thijs
01-29-2009, 04:39 PM
Wal Mart is down $16 from a $63 high

Seems like now would be a better time to buy. Not for a short 4 month investment however. I dont feel that Wally-World is going the way of the DoDo over this recession. It may take a lickin', but there really are no competitors and I dont think us North Americans can afford to go back to mom-and-pop stores. Mega-chains are here to stay. :twocents:

coz
01-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Seems like now would be a better time to buy. Not for a short 4 month investment however. I dont feel that Wally-World is going the way of the DoDo over this recession. It may take a lickin', but there really are no competitors and I dont think us North Americans can afford to go back to mom-and-pop stores. Mega-chains are here to stay. :twocents:

Buy low sell high :D Walmart is probably a good investment since they're not hurting that bad like all the others.

bbymgr
01-29-2009, 04:52 PM
I think Best Buy would be a good long term choice right now. With their biggest competitor declaring Bankruptcy(Circuit City), they have total control of their market.

coz
01-29-2009, 05:02 PM
I think Best Buy would be a good long term choice right now. With their biggest competitor declaring Bankruptcy(Circuit City), they have total control of their market.

Would have been good to buy at $16, it's at $29 now

52wk Range: 16.42 - 49.65 http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BBY

TMCNo1
01-29-2009, 05:04 PM

I don't know about that, but HHGregg has come into our area and kicked Circuit City and Best Buy in the rear!

jdl xstar
01-29-2009, 05:09 PM
Your teacher will likely grade you on the reasons why you pick your stocks and not necessarily on how well they actually do so here are some tips:

Be diversified by picking each stock from a different sector. If you wanted to get fancy, you could pick stocks in different market caps and styles like growth and value but I'd just stick to large cap growth for this project. There are ten main ones such as consumer discretionary, energy, tech, utilities, healthcare to name a few. Now, decide which 5 sectors you think will perform the best due to market conditions and cycles. Or, cross out the ones you think will do poorly.

Once you've decided what sectors to choose from, start digging for why it will appreciate. Look for a catalyst. Dollar tree for example does well in times like these. On top of that, they recently started accepting credit cards and research shows this will increase revenue.

Ratheon is a good defense stock. They make the unmanned predators that fly over war zones. These are very popular with our govenment and will likely remain popular if we shift troops and focus to the mountainous regions of Afganistan.

Healthcare - Express scripts. Cheaper way for consumers to get their presciptions. Reducing the household budget is huge right now and ESRX is poised to gain from this since prescriptions wont be cut but the means in which they gt them will get altered.

Tech - Google - Leading name and if anyone wnats ot own soem tech they will look to buy some google. The trick is not to buy what you want to buy, but to buy what you think the other guy is going to buy.

Consumer discretionary - McDonalds. Good product and cheap for increasing amounts of folks who have a tighter budget.

Just some ideas that you can expand on. Its called top down investing and its when you look at the economy as a whole and work your way down to why you picked an individual stock. Good luck! I have to get back to work!

trickskier
01-29-2009, 05:43 PM
United States Gypsum Co. - USG

wakeX2wake
01-29-2009, 06:03 PM
Would have been good to buy at $16, it's at $29 now

52wk Range: 16.42 - 49.65 http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=BBY

keep in mind... wal-mart always drops a ton after the christmas rush... that's why me and my dad have always watched the trends w/ wal-mart stock... not only does it continue to go up but the seasonal trends are as predictable as the consumer... o yea they just bought into the grocery market in South America in a big way as well

coz
01-29-2009, 06:12 PM
keep in mind... wal-mart always drops a ton after the christmas rush... that's why me and my dad have always watched the trends w/ wal-mart stock... not only does it continue to go up but the seasonal trends are as predictable as the consumer... o yea they just bought into the grocery market in South America in a big way as well

That's why I said it would have been good to buy at $16 :D

United States Gypsum Co. - USG

52wk Range: 5.50 - 115.70 USG took a dive but it might be good to get in now at $7 http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=USG

Precious metals (gold $900+ a troy ounce) is a good investment right now

MYMC
01-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Precious metals (gold $900+ a troy ounce) is a good investment right now
Bingo...buy gold...real hold in your hand gold. If you doubt it just go try and buy it!
Silver to some extent...and platinum is real cheap right now, but it won't turn around until autos do.

D3skier
01-29-2009, 07:12 PM
Bingo...buy gold...real hold in your hand gold. If you doubt it just go try and buy it!
Silver to some extent...and platinum is real cheap right now, but it won't turn around until autos do.

platinum is probably cheap right now because everyone is stealing it from the catalytic converters for cash

Wake2wake
01-29-2009, 08:15 PM
Wow, Thank you everyone for your input, I think just with this input, i might do the best in the class just because the majority of the class is just picking companies that they like, for instance Apple. If i wasn't putting any extra money into upgrades on the boat and a trip to Europe, I think i would be buying some stock.
Again thank you everyone for the help.

JimN
01-29-2009, 08:19 PM
Your teacher will likely grade you on the reasons why you pick your stocks and not necessarily on how well they actually do so here are some tips:

What, "'Cause these guys told me to" isn't good enough?

Wake2wake
01-29-2009, 08:48 PM
our teacher really doesn't care how we pick them, our grade is determined by how well we do over the next 4 months compared to the rest of the class. we have an imaginary $10,000 to spend, and this weekend we pick our stocks, and how many shares of each company, and at the end of the project we go back and see how much the stocks we picked are worth. but as far as how to pick them he is leaving that completely up to us because we wont actually discuss stocks for another month or two.
But from the wealth of knowledge from everyone on this site, i think "cause these guys told me to" should work in just about any topic.

thijs
01-29-2009, 09:56 PM
Is Bre-X still trading???

JimN
01-29-2009, 10:01 PM
Look at WE Energies (WEC). It's one of the stocks my advisor should have looked at for me and I will be talking to him about the fact that he left me twisting in the breeze. IF I had that one, I would actually be up for the last 5 years. They just increased their dividend today.

FrankSchwab
01-29-2009, 10:23 PM
I have one thing to say about stock advisors (applies also to stock advice from the internet):

If a stock advisor was actually good at picking stocks, they wouldn't have to have a day job working as stock advisors.

Myself, I'm waiting for Warren Buffet to drop by the house and drop a hint or two.

/frank

JimN
01-29-2009, 10:30 PM
I have one thing to say about stock advisors (applies also to stock advice from the internet):

If a stock advisor was actually good at picking stocks, they wouldn't have to have a day job working as stock advisors.

Myself, I'm waiting for Warren Buffet to drop by the house and drop a hint or two.

/frank

That ]may be but it's a safe way to make good money by telling people that you can't guarantee anything, these are trying times and that they should invest for the long term.

ejg333
01-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Someone had told me to invest in companies that I myself would shop at. just my .02

coz
01-29-2009, 10:37 PM

/frank

I'm with ya Frank, do you own research, buying & selling it's so freak'n easy http://www.sharebuilder.com/sharebuilder/Default.aspx then you wont have to go postal on the fool that buys Merril Lynch stock on your behalf :mad:

FrankSchwab
01-29-2009, 11:01 PM
and that they should invest for the long term.

Yeah, did that. A few years ago, I bought blue-chippers like Sears, GM, GE, and a couple of the biggest banking and investment stocks. Put some other funds in a conservative, professionally managed investment fund run by some guy named Madoff. Figured the entire western world would have to collapse before I'd take a significant hit.

Yep, that long term view worked out pretty well for me.

Seems that the advice to invest for the long term works only in hindsight. Kinda like most stock advice.

/frank

bbymgr
01-30-2009, 12:13 AM
I don't know about that, but HHGregg has come into our area and kicked Circuit City and Best Buy in the rear!

I know when you are the 'New" store in the area you get a lot of attention, but you can trust me when I say that HH Gregg isn't even a blip on the Best Buy radar. I worked for Best Buy and HH Gregg started and is headquartered in the same city that I worked. As of today HH Gregg has 108 stores in 9 different states; Best Buy has 923 stores in all 50 states. In 2008 HH Gregg had 1.3 billion in revenue for 1.2 million in net earnings, while Best Buy had over 40 Billion in revenue for1.4 billion in net earnings. Best Buy also doubled HH Gregg's dilluted earnings per share in 2008. I would look for Best Buy to capture anywhere from 50%-60% of the Circuit City market in 2009.

Jesus_Freak
01-30-2009, 01:26 PM
I know when you are the 'New" store in the area you get a lot of attention, but you can trust me when I say that HH Gregg isn't even a blip on the Best Buy radar....

Is this what K-mart thought back when Wal-mart first came into being?

Note: I have not studied the history, so I am not sure if my analogy is relevant.

Jesus_Freak
01-30-2009, 01:29 PM
That's the way it used to be. You can be stock rich one day then loose everything the next because the way the world markets are today.

In a volatile market, you stand to make great gains or losses in the short term. Volatility doesnt mean you always lose. It just means you have to be better at predicting the near future.:)

Bruce
01-30-2009, 02:01 PM
Canadian Oil Sands: COSWF.PK
I have no intrest in debating the issue I can only say it has done well for me.

thijs
01-31-2009, 12:59 AM
Bruce,

IIRC:
Suncorp (huge Albertan Oilsands Co.) has released that they are expecting to invest 3Billion this year down from an initial expectation of 10 bill........

JohnnyB
01-31-2009, 11:13 AM
Some of my own thoughts....

Anything Alberta Sands - the alberta sands is not an economically feasible source for crude oil with the current price per barrel. Over the last several months they have announced the cancelation of some key projects....google Alberta Oil Sands Project Cancellation and do some reading.

Fluor - good company, got into a bit of trouble taking construction projects in the middle east. Look at Jacobs (JEC) instead....several analysts are picking this one to be undervalued at its current market level....they believe it is a $60+/share stock.

Manitowoc Crane - good performing stock but will get hit by the construction decline. Manitowoc is industrially diverse and should perform OK.

Caterpillar - announced layoffs within the last several weeks. May maintain longterm corporate health because of this but most likely will take a stock price hit.

Walmart - when money gets tight, people bargain shop. This will be a good performer.

McDonalds - same reason as walmart

Food Companies - Kraft, Con Agra, Pepsi/FritoLay - these companies thrive when the economy gets tight and people eat at home more

Anything related to Stem Cell research.....do your homework, but several cheap stocks in this area right now with great growth potential.

Stay away from building products....not going to be a bright future for the next 6-9mos.

coz
01-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Anything related to Stem Cell research.....do your homework, but several cheap stocks in this area right now with great growth potential.

I have to chime in on this one, I posted it before. I have a bunch of shares with this company and they're on the verge of a breakthrough and with Obama in office they say he's going to free up money for this type of research.

http://www.sharebuilder.com/sharebuilder/research/marketupdate/getquote.aspx?symbol=ACTC

JohnnyB's right it's easy to do your own homework/research these days.

Watch Jim Cramer too :D

Bruce
01-31-2009, 05:27 PM
Some of my own thoughts....

Anything Alberta Sands - the alberta sands is not an economically feasible source for crude oil with the current price per barrel. Over the last several months they have announced the cancelation of some key projects....google Alberta Oil Sands Project Cancellation and do some reading.

Fluor - good company, got into a bit of trouble taking construction projects in the middle east. Look at Jacobs (JEC) instead....several analysts are picking this one to be undervalued at its current market level....they believe it is a $60+/share stock.

Manitowoc Crane - good performing stock but will get hit by the construction decline. Manitowoc is industrially diverse and should perform OK.

Caterpillar - announced layoffs within the last several weeks. May maintain longterm corporate health because of this but most likely will take a stock price hit.

Walmart - when money gets tight, people bargain shop. This will be a good performer.

McDonalds - same reason as walmart

Food Companies - Kraft, Con Agra, Pepsi/FritoLay - these companies thrive when the economy gets tight and people eat at home more

Stay away from building products....not going to be a bright future for the next 6-9mos.

It appears you are not that Familiar with COS TRUST you suggested I google it and read might I suggest the same. However, narrow you search to COS not all ofAlberta etc.! My finical advisers firm is the oldest fee for service co. in the nation. As I said in my orignal post I don't care to debate it. I will just continue to profit from it!