PDA

View Full Version : Million dollar question

Loffgren
01-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Looking for wet suit or dry suit... Which one do i want? Live in CA ride at berryessa 90% of the time

Sodar
01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Xcel Infinity 3/2 wetsuit.

http://www.xcelwetsuits.com/

Ole Miss Rebels
01-28-2009, 12:20 PM
we rode this past sunday. the water was 46 degrees and the air was 42 degrees. it was a heavy overcast but smooth water so we took advantage. i strongly recommend the oneil boost dry suit, i never got cold at all (except for my feet when i took my closed-toe bindings off). dry suit all the way for me for the last 3+ yearsand i live in central mississippi. gthlsu.

TallRedRider
01-28-2009, 12:32 PM
we rode this past sunday. the water was 46 degrees and the air was 42 degrees. it was a heavy overcast but smooth water so we took advantage. i strongly recommend the oneil boost dry suit, i never got cold at all (except for my feet when i took my closed-toe bindings off). dry suit all the way for me for the last 3+ yearsand i live in central mississippi. gthlsu.

Second recommendation here for the O'neill boost drysuit. It is big and loose for riding flexibility and just a pair of sweats underneath and you are toasty warm. With a wetsuit, you get cold once you get out of the water.

This is in November at lake Mead a few years back.
Me in my Boost: Keep in mind that I am 6'9" tall.
http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1779&stc=1&d=1163431237

Sodar
01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
More wetsuit threads...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=425275

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=15031

wakeX2wake
01-28-2009, 12:39 PM
if the water doesn't dip too much below 60-70 i'd recommend the oneill gooru neo top or suit... very happy w/ mine last yr... no need to change... waiting on the sleet to stop falling

turbosdad
01-28-2009, 01:41 PM
Second recommendation here for the O'neill boost drysuit. It is big and loose for riding flexibility and just a pair of sweats underneath and you are toasty warm. With a wetsuit, you get cold once you get out of the water.

This is in November at lake Mead a few years back.
Me in my Boost: Keep in mind that I am 6'9" tall.
http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1779&stc=1&d=1163431237

according to the size chart...what size do you use? I am the other extreme at 5'7 but the chest size does not match. Do they fit big or small, tight or loose.

thanks

TallRedRider
01-28-2009, 01:56 PM
according to the size chart...what size do you use? I am the other extreme at 5'7 but the chest size does not match. Do they fit big or small, tight or loose.

thanks

They fit loose. I got an XL and it is pretty long, but of course if you notice, you can see my wrists and ankles. I am confident that even if I weighed 75 pounds more, this bad boy would still fit me. The interesting thing is that I don't find the looseness to be too much. The material is light and doesn't feel cumbersome at all. It is perfect for layering clothes underneath when it is very cold, or just a T-shirt on borderline days.

russlars
01-28-2009, 02:39 PM
if the water doesn't dip too much below 60-70 i'd recommend the oneill gooru neo top or suit... very happy w/ mine last yr... no need to change... waiting on the sleet to stop falling
I would second that thought about wetsuits. Another consideration is what watersport you do most often. The only thing I don't like about dry suits is that you get more wind resistance with a dry suit, especially at slalom speeds. At slower wakeboarding speeds, it doesn't seem to be as noticeable. With that said, if you are really looking for warmth, the dry suit is the way to go.

wakeX2wake
01-28-2009, 02:44 PM
i find that a dry suit is incredibly uncomfortable unless i just have to have it... keep in mind if you haven't worn one that your neck, wrists, and ankles are going to have some pretty good pressure on them... the neck is what gets to me personally... also, if you have leg hair (i know shaving is popular in some circles... i prefer to keep most of my man suit) that panty hose are a good way to relieve some of that pain

M-Funf
01-28-2009, 02:57 PM
I ski Lake Sonoma weekly through the winter. Similar conditions to Berry'. I use the O'Neill Assault "hybrid" drysuit. Works great, but it does choke a bit. I wear a fleece pullover underneath for warmth.
I looked at the Boost, but thought it would be too baggy for slalom skiing.
I'm 5-8, 175. I bought a Large, but could probably get by with a Medium.

bobx1
01-28-2009, 03:50 PM
gthlsu.

Such abhorrence coming from a MC guy?

TallRedRider
01-28-2009, 06:23 PM
.. also, if you have leg hair (i know shaving is popular in some circles... i prefer to keep most of my man suit) that panty hose are a good way to relieve some of that pain

So you would rather wear panty hose than shave your legs...Depends for sure on the circle you run with. ;);)

Loffgren
01-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Bought Oneill wetsuit last night... Not the most expense but should do the trick. Thanks for the input......