PDA

View Full Version : Prop swap for better hole shot

jberylec
01-28-2009, 12:01 AM
How much top speed do I have to give up on my X9 in order to get better hole shot performance? I mean seat of the pants noticeable gains. And what prop do you recommend?

This is what I'm talking about, haha, :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs

TMCNo1
01-28-2009, 07:36 AM
Talk to Eric @ http://www.ojprops.com/contact_us, he probably can make some recommendations.

2RLAKE
01-28-2009, 08:21 AM
or Bill at Acme ... make sure you know you engine, transmission and current prop

Bill Weeks
bweeks@acmemarine.com
888 661 2263

jberylec
01-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Thanks, but I've already searched and found several posts with these same suggestions to contact Acme or OJ. I was looking more for personal experience and opinions, stories, etc...

Ole Miss Rebels
01-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks, but I've already searched and found several posts with these same suggestions to contact Acme or OJ. I was looking more for personal experience and opinions, stories, etc...

i changed the props on each of my last two xstars, one had the mcx and the most recent had an L18, i called eric at oj and got him to tell me which prop to get. i would never take the advice of someone on this board or any board over eric's advice if it relates to propping your boat down. perhaps a compromise would be to give him a call and then report back to the board what he suggests and see if anyone else has done the same thing and what their opinion on the upgrade is. the two times he made suggestions for me i had to learn how to drive all-over again as the prop switch totally changed the way my boat responded (for the better).

jberylec
01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
...as the prop switch totally changed the way my boat responded (for the better)...

That's the exact kind of input I was looking for :D
I just wanted to hear that there is enough of a difference to warrant changing props!
Thank you kind sir :cool:

454Prostar190
01-29-2009, 12:01 PM
How much top speed do I have to give up on my X9 in order to get better hole shot performance? I mean seat of the pants noticeable gains. And what prop do you recommend?

This is what I'm talking about, haha, :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO5MkcBXBBs

That was pretty quick! My '82 S and S with the B B Chevy and OJ 15 20 CUP prop comes out of the hole like this and will still peg the speedos. :D

east tx skier
01-29-2009, 10:53 PM

It's very boat, engine, and use specific. My experience with the acme versus oj on my old 205 was that the acme was stronger out of the hole and gave a firmer pull while the oj did better holding speed in a turn (by like .02 mph) and gave a softer pull.

Both these companies are known for letting people have some time to test props with no strings attached. I recommend you talk to Eric and Bill, sample what each of them recommends, and then make your decision.