PDA

View Full Version : Help in the Dallas TX area!

kevfischer
01-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I am in the process of planning the second annual trip to the DFW area for some early season boarding. Last year we went in the middle of April we are going to try early May this year. Myquestion to you DFW t-ter's. Is Lewisville lake the lake of choice in the DFW area? Last year we rented a home close to Little Elm. Does anyone know of vacation rentals that are closer to Dallas so the ladies can participate in shopping while the rest of us participate in early season boating? Please give me in input.

ncsone
01-27-2009, 10:41 PM
Lewisville is OK, but will be crowded on the weekends. Before Memorial Day, it is bearable, but plan on getting your riding done early and then just enjoy the day. There are some places you can get away from the crowds if you like. Lewisville and Lake Travis trade out every year on being the most crowded lakes of the state so great water after noon is pretty rare. Usually, that is the time to head to Charlies or Sneaky Petes and relax for a while. Lake Grapevine is too small to be worth the trip - it gets crowded early and there is no where to get out of the wind.

Not sure of the rental situation here in Dallas, so I am not sure if I can be of help to you on that.

But, there is some significant shopping areas less than 20 minutes from Lake Lewisville. Some less than 10 minutes away.

PM me if you want and I can help you out with some more info on spots on Lewisville or other lakes.

PapaJoe
01-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Lake Joe Pool is too choppy... Not sure why, its just always choppy???

Lake Arlington is OK, but very small, and crowed, lots of Walleys...

Lake Grapevine is bigger, BE CAREFUL - STUMPS!!! Its a fisherman's perfect lake.... BUT-there are a few spots I've heard, never seen them...

BEST BET- Go to the River- Tin Top!!! Water is perfect, and mostly wakeboarders are there... Check water levels, but they should be OK???

I am currently in Kansas........

Call texas mastercraft, the guys in the pro-shop may also be able to give you some "local' advice on where to go....

JOE

east tx skier
01-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Lake Joe Pool is too choppy... Not sure why, its just always choppy???

Lake Arlington is OK, but very small, and crowed, lots of Walleys...

Lake Grapevine is bigger, BE CAREFUL - STUMPS!!! Its a fisherman's perfect lake.... BUT-there are a few spots I've heard, never seen them...

BEST BET- Go to the River- Tin Top!!! Water is perfect, and mostly wakeboarders are there... Check water levels, but they should be OK???

I am currently in Kansas........

Call texas mastercraft, the guys in the pro-shop may also be able to give you some "local' advice on where to go....

JOE

I believe Joe just mentioned a place that doesn't actually exist. If Ric were here, he'd be the first to tell you that there is no smooth water in Texas.

WakePowell
01-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Stay away from Tin Top. Its a long way from any shopping mall....Plus it crowded, rough, and lots of water snakes.

sanjuan23
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I believe Joe just mentioned a place that doesn't actually exist. If Ric were here, he'd be the first to tell you that there is no smooth water in Texas.

I haven't posted in quite some time but I was just thinking the same thing. And This "Tin Top" is merely a rumor and figment of many imaginations. But if it were to exist it would be over loaded with Stumps Snakes and horribly choppy water.

tex
01-28-2009, 11:27 PM
I am in the process of planning the second annual trip to the DFW area for some early season boarding. Last year we went in the middle of April we are going to try early May this year. Myquestion to you DFW t-ter's. Is Lewisville lake the lake of choice in the DFW area? Last year we rented a home close to Little Elm. Does anyone know of vacation rentals that are closer to Dallas so the ladies can participate in shopping while the rest of us participate in early season boating? Please give me in input.

PM me some contact information!

JKTX21
01-29-2009, 12:26 AM
There are navigable water ways in Texas?

east tx skier
01-29-2009, 12:38 AM
I hear Conroe is awesome.

brat
01-29-2009, 01:31 AM
http://www.waterskimag.com/article/Hot-Spots/The-Brazos-A-River-Wild

This will tell you about Tin Top

PapaJoe
01-29-2009, 08:20 AM
WOW- Thanks brat....

For a minute there, I thought I have been to a place that does not exist.....

But maybe a secret???

Perhaps because it is a great place, and nobody wants it to get over crowded.....

I have been there 3 times over the years.....

The water was always perfect....

I never saw any snakes, but some really awesome wakeboarders.....

True fact - no shopping mall nearby.....

JOE

east tx skier
01-29-2009, 10:54 PM
Ah, the good old days. Now all the smooth water is in Louisiana wherever Brat is riding. :)

brat
01-29-2009, 11:05 PM
Ah, the good old days. Now all the smooth water is in Louisiana wherever Brat is riding. :)

I hear there's some smooth water in east Texas somewhere around Big Cypress maybe.......:)

I bet you could find some smooth water on Perky about now......Its just to cold for me !

east tx skier
01-29-2009, 11:57 PM
I hear there's some smooth water in east Texas somewhere around Big Cypress maybe.......:)

I bet you could find some smooth water on Perky about now......Its just to cold for me !

I'm sure there is. Only difference is that both of those places really are full of stumps with gator and snake sightings as part of the norm.

brat
01-30-2009, 12:20 AM
I'm sure there is. Only difference is that both of those places really are full of stumps with gator and snake sightings as part of the norm.

Ain't it cool that some of us ain't skeered :D

mclovin
01-30-2009, 01:09 AM
we always ride red river/ bossier, ouachita river/ monroe its always glassy around the corner! have had a run in with this guy on ouachita river:eek: i was only skeered for a minute cause we were in the boat, not in the water

east tx skier
01-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Ain't it cool that some of us ain't skeered :D

I've seen and 8 foot gator at one of the places we like to ski.

I've skied within feet of snakes (not intentionally).

And yes, there are stumps and other underwater hazards. Even people who know the area well are not immune, which is something I learned the hard way.

The last reason is why I don't usually suggest people head over there. I told a guy about it several years ago, told him where a good spot was. And on his first hole shot, he tore up his prop. There's plenty of skiable water down there just in case it seems like I'm keeping it a secret for selfish reasons.

Of course, most people just look at the color of the water and keep going. It's just mercury!

ttu
01-30-2009, 11:04 AM
we always ride red river/ bossier, ouachita river/ monroe its always glassy around the corner! have had a run in with this guy on ouachita river:eek: i was only skeered for a minute cause we were in the boat, not in the water

you can have that river all to yourself!!!:eek3: