PDA

View Full Version : Color Code for Boat Paint

Loffgren
01-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Looking for a color code for boat paint. Trailer needs a little touch up. its an 08 X2 "Blue" not the dark blue but kind of lighter. I called the trailer co. and they said they mix it them selves but have no color code....

flipper
01-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Take it to a paint shop, and have them color match it.

TMCNo1
01-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Take the trailer to one of your local auto paint supply stores and let them shoot the paint with their instrument and they can mix you a pint or quart to match.

Loffgren
01-27-2009, 02:41 PM
Ok i will call around thanks...

Sodar
01-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Wheel the trailer up to the Home Depot paint counter and let them mix you up some Behr or Sherman Williams! :D

Seriously though... is your boat on a Sport-Boat Trailer or an MC trailer? Sportboat gave my uncle a touch up kit with his new trailer. MC has touch up paint available through the dealer.

Monte
01-27-2009, 02:48 PM
Take the trailer to one of your local auto paint supply stores and let them shoot the paint with their instrument and they can mix you a pint or quart to match.

I second that. The tool they use is a light meter that picks up the diferent colors and pigments in the paint. They can match it almost perfectly.

Loffgren
01-27-2009, 03:08 PM
it is a sport boat trailer, they are sending me a pint w/hardner for 25 bucks... I wanted to get the paint into a spray can. I feel i can do a better job with it in that form. i belive there are places that can do that, just want the same color (duh)

So i am thinking i can take the sample to them also to "shoot" correct?

Monte
01-27-2009, 03:36 PM
it is a sport boat trailer, they are sending me a pint w/hardner for 25 bucks... I wanted to get the paint into a spray can. I feel i can do a better job with it in that form. i belive there are places that can do that, just want the same color (duh)

So i am thinking i can take the sample to them also to "shoot" correct?

I think I am following you. I am just thinking out loud, but I think you want them to "shoot"(test?) the paint after it is dry because paint changes color (some more than others) a little when it dries. I took my Monte Carlo to have the test done. 15 bucks for the pint..

Sodar
01-27-2009, 03:37 PM
What I think he is saying is he wants to get the pint into a spray can.

If I am correct, this might save you some trouble?? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=1102

Jim@BAWS
01-27-2009, 04:08 PM
Looking for a color code for boat paint. Trailer needs a little touch up. its an 08 X2 "Blue" not the dark blue but kind of lighter. I called the trailer co. and they said they mix it them selves but have no color code....

The trailer company???Do you have a MC trailer? If you do then MC makes the trailer

Jim@BAWS

Mediterranian Blue MED BLUE

Sodar
01-27-2009, 04:09 PM
The trailer company???Do you have a MC trailer? If you do then MC makes the trailer

Jim@BAWS

He has a SportBoat Trailer. None of the Northwest Dealers use MC trailers.

X2M
01-27-2009, 05:23 PM
He has a SportBoat Trailer. None of the Northwest Dealers use MC trailers.

I think that the old SkiWorld MC dealer in Pleasanton sold their boats on MC trailers...not sure if the new NorCal MC dealer does or not. Copes sold their MC's on SportBoat and DHM trailers.

*edit... Could you use a spray gun or would the paint w/ the hardener be to thick?

xstarplease
01-27-2009, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=Loffgren;570471]it is a sport boat trailer, they are sending me a pint w/hardner for 25 bucks... I wanted to get the paint into a spray can. I feel i can do a better job with it in that form. i belive there are places that can do that, just want the same color (duh)

You can take your pint to just about any paint store, and they can put it into a spray can for you. Very easy to do. The Harbor freight tool would work also, but it might be easier and quicker to just have the paint store put it in a spray can for you.

Loffgren
01-28-2009, 11:46 AM

Jim@BAWS

Sport Boat trailer...

Thanks Xstarp

flipper
01-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Sport Boat trailer...

Thanks Xstarp

That's who built my new trailer, very nice trailers

Loffgren
01-28-2009, 01:01 PM
Yes i like the trailer also. I had the MC one on my X1. I like the diamond plate, i dont have to be as careful, in regards to scratches. I did have to send the trailer in for repair. The front verticle bar where the winch mounts had a weld pop lose... Fixed good as new.