PDA

View Full Version : just retrofitted my xstar with dual silentmaster

Ole Miss Rebels
01-27-2009, 12:12 AM
my 08 xstar came from the factory with no mufflers. it only had the tips with internals and rubber flaps. i have the L18 engine and my boat was horribly loud. well, after a year of putting up with it and at least partly on the advice of MYMC i added the dual silent master option (two in-line mufflers and straight "no internals" tips). the boat is now markedly quieter and i believe i noticed a slight increase in performance although i am not positive because i didn't have the fctory ballast filled for the test-drive. if anyone else has done a retro-fit back to the dual silent master mufflers i am curious what you may have noticed. thanks in advance and to everyone who helped me make this decision. it was not a cheap or an easy modification but one that i am glad i made.

duckguy
01-27-2009, 12:18 AM
I was in the same "boat" as you. LY6, she was pretty loud as well and I did the same thing. I did not notice a performance decrease.

craig3972
01-27-2009, 12:21 AM
did you decide agianst the FAE system?

duckguy
01-27-2009, 12:23 AM
I did yes, the idea is good but it is kinda ugly

craig3972
01-27-2009, 12:28 AM
i was going to give it a try (under $500) so if it didnt work it wouldnt be too expensive.
Funny that you say ugly ... i thought so too but rationalized it as being hidden under the boat.
Not as bad as some speakers that people hang from there tower! lol

zkesler
01-27-2009, 10:29 AM
I have an 05 X-star with MCX motor. I want to change the exhaust system to be able to access the water impeller easier and also to open up more room for a supercharger. Any suggestions on types of exhaust to use. I don't want it to be too loud.

Ole Miss Rebels
01-27-2009, 11:11 AM
i was told to expect a slight increase in performance. seems like a paradox (less noise and more power) but i believe that is the case. in the case of removing the single horizontal muffler to access the impellor i believe the solution would be to add two "in-line" mufflers. i was told that the two mufflers would not be quite as quiet as the single muffler but that the two mufflers would be significantly quieter than system that had no mufflers and the tips with internals.

CottagerGreg
01-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Got any pictures of your install..

Also what's the approx cost of the big inline muffler and the non baffled tips?

Ole Miss Rebels
01-27-2009, 11:25 PM
you will need for your delaer to supply you with the two (2) tips (with no internals), the two (2) small in-line mufflers (mine were 4" ID coming into each muffler and 3.5" ID coming out of each muffler), the appropriate length of each ID exhaust hose and the appropriate hose clamps. Then you will need to pay a very good technician to remove the old tips hopefully without doing any damage to the fiberglass gelcoat on the transome. then install the new mufflers, hose and tips. for clarification, again, you are NOT installing one single horizontally mounted muffler but rather two (2) "in-line" mufflers. you will have to pay for the parts from your dealer and then pay a technician to install them. it is not an easy or cheap retro-fit. i had a very experienced boat fiberglass shop do the install for me as i figured they would be able to do some gelcoat repair if there was any gelcoat damage incurred in the removal of the original tips. i was fortunate in that my fiberglass shop was experienced and able to remove the old tips with no gelcoat damage.

SchuyHigh
01-27-2009, 11:43 PM
my 08 xstar came from the factory with no mufflers. it only had the tips with internals and rubber flaps. i have the L18 engine and my boat was horribly loud. well, after a year of putting up with it and at least partly on the advice of MYMC i added the dual silent master option (two in-line mufflers and straight "no internals" tips). the boat is now markedly quieter and i believe i noticed a slight increase in performance although i am not positive because i didn't have the fctory ballast filled for the test-drive. if anyone else has done a retro-fit back to the dual silent master mufflers i am curious what you may have noticed. thanks in advance and to everyone who helped me make this decision. it was not a cheap or an easy modification but one that i am glad i made.

I would love to help, but as a University of Kentucky Wildcats FAN, I just have nothing to offer to you right now.

Ole Miss Rebels
01-28-2009, 12:08 AM
I would love to help, but as a University of Kentucky Wildcats FAN, I just have nothing to offer to you right now.

as an ole miss fan i completely understand. we may have won one tonight but i believe the series advantage is heavily tilted in your favor. sometimes things just don't go our way. i don't remember having seen you here before but welcome and good luck to your boys in blue the rest of the way. hotty toddy and gthlsu.

CottagerGreg
01-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I assume the two inline mufflers make it so that servicing of the raw water impeller is easier? I would assume the horizontal large muffler would offer even more "muffling" or are they the same?

Eagle Lake Rebel
01-28-2009, 09:28 PM
SchuyHigh, If will help I can put you in touch with some Gator fans! Hotty Toddy!

Ole Miss Rebels
01-28-2009, 10:20 PM
I assume the two inline mufflers make it so that servicing of the raw water impeller is easier? I would assume the horizontal large muffler would offer even more "muffling" or are they the same?

correct, the single horizontal muffler is slightly quieter but it blocks the impellor. the dual "in-line" mufflers are almost as quiet but leave your engine compartment much more accessible for maintenance purposes.