PDA

View Full Version : JL sub vs Clarion sub

Todd Brosius
05-12-2005, 10:36 PM
My amp arrived today to install in my '04 197. The ol' Alpine MRV-450, 5 channel. Hopefullyn I will get it installed this weekend along with some skiing. I had my local Clarion dealer price me a 10" marine sub to go in my precut hole located in the kick panel and he wants $130. My local JL audio dealer wants $200 for the new JL audio marine sub. I know I've heard great things about the new JL sub and was sold on it, but then the price difference made me think twice. Is the JL audio sub worth $70 more? Don't forget I live in central NE so I'm sure my prices are high. I don't see purchasing the new JL audio sub on ebay or another outlet with discount prices. The new JL (for me) is difficult to find. What do ya think??????????????

peason
05-12-2005, 10:48 PM
http://www.carmedia1.com/en-us/dept_36.html

you can buy a Clarion here for $99.00

Stritt
05-13-2005, 12:42 AM
the clarion is not worth the money.......at any price other than free.

Take the 100 bucks and but a Polk/Momo....Infinity.....Kicker and put it in a box. I have a 197 and it sounds really good with the Polk.

Just noticed you are in Holdrege....Just got back from Omaha tonight. Lot's of storms this past week. I have a customer in your town.

BriEOD
05-13-2005, 07:42 AM
the clarion is not worth the money.......at any price other than free.

Take the 100 bucks and but a Polk/Momo....Infinity.....Kicker and put it in a box. I have a 197 and it sounds really good with the Polk.

Just noticed you are in Holdrege....Just got back from Omaha tonight. Lot's of storms this past week. I have a customer in your town.

I agree with 35th don't buy a Clarion.

MYMC
05-13-2005, 08:52 AM
The Clarion sub is junk...case closed.

If you can buy the JL Marine 10" from a "stereo" dealer for $200 do it, dealer cost is higher than that! Also, the exclusivity agreement runs through June of this year so make sure you are getting what you are supposed to be.

Jeff X-10
05-13-2005, 03:51 PM
I would buy the JL. I have heard them in cars and they are great. I have a Clarion sub in my X-10 that doesn't sound very good. One thing to check on is the RMS wattage for the JL...it probably requires more than the Clarion.

TEX P205
05-13-2005, 04:13 PM
Another question for yall, Do yall run marine amps or regular amps in your boats? They talk about coated circuit boards and special casings for the marine amps, but I don't seem to find many options for marine amps. I have the clarion 480M now. I'm about to put a 10" Polk sub in a box, I need to decide on the amp.

bcampbe7
05-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Another question for yall, Do yall run marine amps or regular amps in your boats? They talk about coated circuit boards and special casings for the marine amps, but I don't seem to find many options for marine amps. I have the clarion 480M now. I'm about to put a 10" Polk sub in a box, I need to decide on the amp.

I bought a Sony Mobile ES 760W amp for my sub. Under the bow of my boat stays very dry. Even then, my amp is up off the floor.. I think a car amp will be fine.

Andyg
05-13-2005, 05:25 PM
Both amps I am running are are automotive amps. I have also heard that there is no physical difference between the JL Marine amp and the JL automotive amp.

MYMC
05-13-2005, 07:16 PM
Now Andy where did you hear a thing like that? :huh:

jjsosnowski
05-13-2005, 08:24 PM
went through 3 10'' subs one summer. speaker seperated from plastic and blew 2.

Todd Brosius
05-16-2005, 11:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies and info. I will definately go with the JL sub. I accomplished wiring the Alpine 5 channel amp this weekend. That alone made a big difference in the stereo performance of my '04 197. I'm sure the sub will make a big difference as well. I still need to mount my amp. I noticed other 197s are mounting behind the observer's seat on the panel which is the backside of the walk thru. Does anyone know FOR SURE how long of screws to use to I do NOT come thru the fiberglass on the walk thru. I was told by the dealer that Mastercraft has a rubber or composite material in that panel to screw to. I just want to make sure my screws are NOT to long!!!!! Thanks again for the help and I'll be sure to post pics when done.

Toolit2Ride
05-16-2005, 01:29 PM
I noticed that no one mentioned the the enclosure that is required for the Clarion sub. I'm not going to try and sell you on Clarion, because JL rocks and that's why MC uses only JL in their new boats, but I have a 10" Clarion and it sounds good. However, all the Clarion subs need to be in a sealed box. Not sure if they even sell a free air sub, haven't really looked I guess. The 10" Clarion needs a 1.25 cubic ft box enclosure to get optimal performance. I had to make a box to put behind the kick panel and it was a major pain in the @ss, but sounds good.

MYMC
05-16-2005, 02:16 PM
If anyone is in need of the JL Marine sub I have several that I just purchased and can make a deal on...feel free to email me. ;)

rodltg2
05-16-2005, 02:26 PM
I noticed that no one mentioned the the enclosure that is required for the Clarion sub. I'm not going to try and sell you on Clarion, because JL rocks and that's why MC uses only JL in their new boats, but I have a 10" Clarion and it sounds good. However, all the Clarion subs need to be in a sealed box. Not sure if they even sell a free air sub, haven't really looked I guess. The 10" Clarion needs a 1.25 cubic ft box enclosure to get optimal performance. I had to make a box to put behind the kick panel and it was a major pain in the @ss, but sounds good.

i was thinking of doing the same thing. how did you do it and do you have any pics. free air subs never sound as good as enclosed.

OhioProstar
05-16-2005, 02:32 PM
I run a 12" Kicker Comp without a box and it sounds great.

peason
05-16-2005, 08:25 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies and info. I will definately go with the JL sub. I accomplished wiring the Alpine 5 channel amp this weekend. That alone made a big difference in the stereo performance of my '04 197. I'm sure the sub will make a big difference as well. I still need to mount my amp. I noticed other 197s are mounting behind the observer's seat on the panel which is the backside of the walk thru. Does anyone know FOR SURE how long of screws to use to I do NOT come thru the fiberglass on the walk thru. I was told by the dealer that Mastercraft has a rubber or composite material in that panel to screw to. I just want to make sure my screws are NOT to long!!!!! Thanks again for the help and I'll be sure to post pics when done.

I am at the stage of mounting the amp too- does anyone know the proper length of screws to use?

rodltg2
05-16-2005, 09:06 PM
i dont really know but i would use the shortest possible, measure the thichness of the amp mount and the carpet then add a little more.

BriEOD
05-16-2005, 09:46 PM
Rod--I think you should take out those bass tubes and drop in 2 of these babies!!http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/jackHammer.cfm

MarkP
05-16-2005, 10:17 PM
Rod--I think you should take out those bass tubes and drop in 2 of these babies!!http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/subwoofers/jackHammer.cfm
LMAO!! I always stay away from these audio threads cause I got a weak radio.. I just looked in to see what Brian was talking about. Only to see he Hijacked the thread to talk about the “Jackhammer” ballast system!!

Looks like it ROCKS.

Toolit2Ride
05-17-2005, 11:28 AM
rodltg2--I will try to get some pictures up on the site when I get my boat back this week. I built the box out of 3/4" MDF. Building the box was the easy part, designing a unique shape that would fit and being able to get 1.25 sq ft was the challange part. And to think you were never going to use those Geometry skills you learned in 8th grade. If you want, I can send you a Visio blue print of the dementions.

peason--I mounted my amp on that same wall that you are talking about and didn't use any screws. The thought of screwing into that thin fiber glass freaked me out, so I glued it. I made a amp mounting board and put 4 anchor screws through the back so you could easily take the amp on and off. I cut the carpet out behind the board a used PL200 glue and wedged a board in there to hold it for 24 hours. It held for 2 seasons w/ no problems. It held through about 160 hrs worth of abuse and never came down. Just this winter I bought a fiber glass kit to fix a small crack in my muffler and ended up fiberglassing in the amp board too. It will never come down now!

Todd Brosius
05-17-2005, 06:12 PM
I just got off the phone with a Mastercraft dealer and he mentioned that some boats have a backing plate built in to screw the amp to. He said you should be able to feel it because it should stick out as you run your hand down the panel. (I'm talking about the panel behind the observer's seat on the back side of the walk thru on 197s. He said if its not there to peel the carpet down from the top then glue in a 3/4 board to the fiberglasss then reglue the carpet over your backing board. I kind of like the idea of cutting the carpet and the glueing a board in there. I guess I could paint it grey to match my carpet. What to do, what to do? At least there are options. At this time my amp is wired but laying on a board on the floor behind the oberver's seat. Thus taking up storage room because I hate to pile life jackets on it and then it wouldn't get enough air.

rodltg2
05-17-2005, 06:15 PM
rodltg2--I will try to get some pictures up on the site when I get my boat back this week. I built the box out of 3/4" MDF. Building the box was the easy part, designing a unique shape that would fit and being able to get 1.25 sq ft was the challange part. And to think you were never going to use those Geometry skills you learned in 8th grade. If you want, I can send you a Visio blue print of the dementions.

yes please do, i dont want to re-invent the wheel. i dont have any carpentry skills what so ever, so i will probably have someelse build it.

rodltg2
05-17-2005, 06:17 PM

i would if i had the room to fit them!

zberger
05-19-2005, 11:38 AM
The JL Sub Should perform nicely..

http://memphiscaraudio.com/products/family.asp?id=8

Also take a look at the memphis stuff.

If you are going to be coming to omaha to buy the stuff, or want somewhere to buy JL from, Call Stereo West, ask for Rod Hash. 402-393-2100.

Prostar19
05-19-2005, 11:42 AM
Todd,

There was a plate on my 197. I mounted 2 amps on that side panel and 2 amps on the back of the bow seat. Worked out great

Todd Brosius
05-19-2005, 07:11 PM
What year was your 197?

AirJunky
05-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Hey Todd,
Got a relative named Scott? From McMinnville, OR? Big hitter? ;)

Todd Brosius
05-19-2005, 10:44 PM
You mean the one who played baseball for the Yankees? I wish. Well at least he didn't send me any of his $$$$$$$$. Never really researched it. Such an uncommon name, you'd think maybe, but not to my knowledge.

peason
05-20-2005, 10:09 AM

I just mounted my amp last night on the backside of the walk way on my 2002 -209. I used 1/2 inch ( or 1.5 cm) stainless steel machine screws that went through the carpet and into this backer board. Looks great and no holes poking through the other side.

jayocheskey
05-20-2005, 04:06 PM
Ballpark estimate on installation charge -- Two tower speakers and an amp.

peason
05-21-2005, 05:15 PM
My dealer quoted approx. $700.00 for this same job, but I had lights on my tower speakers. The quote included wiring harnesses. I went ahead and bought the harness, and installed myself, it took alot of time but wasn't too bad on a DIY scale I would call this a 3 out 5.

zberger
05-23-2005, 12:21 PM
My dealer quoted approx. $700.00 for this same job, but I had lights on my tower speakers. The quote included wiring harnesses. I went ahead and bought the harness, and installed myself, it took alot of time but wasn't too bad on a DIY scale I would call this a 3 out 5.

Wiring stuff is just time consuming, plain and simple.

Todd Brosius
05-23-2005, 05:44 PM
Finally got the ol' amp mounted this weekend. Used 1/2 inch screws and she tightened up right against the panel and NO screw out thru the walkway. Note to self though: I mounted my amp a little to far back and when I was all finished, tools put away I went to close the observer's seat and the amp popped the gas shock off its ball. Not a big deal just had to unscrew the amp and move it 1 or 2 inches forward. Thanks to all for your help and I'll try to post pics once I get the sub installed!

Stritt
05-23-2005, 08:44 PM
If you are handy you can install the tower speakers and amp yourself. I just did it this weekend, took my time it was about a 3-4 job, best part is how much better is sounds. It ounded good before but better now.

You will have to drill some holes in the MC tower and remove one side's bolts to chase the wire. Let me know if you have any ??"s.