PDA

View Full Version : Seattle Boat Show

Muttley
01-26-2009, 02:09 PM
My wife and my buddy decided to make a weekend out of the Seattle Boat Show. We headed down from Vancouver and spent the night on Friday to get an early start on Saturday morning.

The show didn’t seem quite as busy as last year. We got through the doors quickly and hit the first vendor. After being at the show for almost a half hour, I managed to spend $500. My wife was wondering what took me so long. I bought a new Slingshot Response Wakeboard and bindings (and a proper wakeboard rope). I’d never seen a wakeboard like this before. They’re quite different. They are almost like a snowboard. Totally flat on the bottom and they flex. They are still supposed to have a good pop off the wake and the landings are incredibly soft. I talked to several independent people (the Mastercraft sales guy included) that told me I would just love it. I can hardly wait until it warms up a little so I can try it out. The nice thing is that if I don’t like it, I can exchange it in June and try the Recoil, which has the 3 stage rocker rather than the continuous arc.

Then came the Mastercraft dealer because it was the first of the ski boats. I was disappointed that they didn’t have any of the models that appeal to me. There was no X-7, no X-14, no PS197 and no PS214. All they had were the bigger boats. My wife did think the ‘head’ in the X-55 was a great idea, but, as a man, I get to pee off the swim grid, so I was indifferent. Nice boat, but pretty freakin’ big. I would have preferred to see some of their smaller boats, particularly the new X-14V.

I was actually impressed with the Nautiques this year. It was nice to see them finally offering some STYLE, although their slalom boat is still fugly. Supreme had some amazing deals since Olympic Boat Centers went out of business and they had to buy back about 52 boats. They were blowing out brand new $48K buy back boats for $36K. …Not that I’d want one, just that they were a screamin’ deal. Malibu seemed to have all the same boat there. I could hardly tell one “Ride” from another. Nice, but nothing new. Same with all the other brands.

One of the fun things we saw was the “Wicked” Sprint Racing boats. The sport originated in New Zealand with a bunch of insane Kiwis. They take a 12’ aluminum boat and stick a 650 hp (the other class is 900 hp) V8 jet into it. These things do 0-80 in 3 seconds. I think I might have to head down to check out the races. It just looks insane!

All in all we had a great weekend. It was nice to get away. Hopefully now I can make it through the next couple of months until we can get out on the water. Until then I guess I’ll have to put on another coat of the polish I got sucked into buying.

prostar205
01-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Muttly -

The boat with the "head" was the black X55. The X45 does not come with a bathroom. Yes, that X55 is HUGE. It was alot of black on that boat - but very nice. My 6 year daughter really liked the bathroom - it gave her more places to hide from me while talking to the sales guys.

russlars
01-26-2009, 04:52 PM
My wife and my buddy decided to make a weekend out of the Seattle Boat Show. We headed down from Vancouver and spent the night on Friday to get an early start on Saturday morning.

The show didn’t seem quite as busy as last year. We got through the doors quickly and hit the first vendor. After being at the show for almost a half hour, I managed to spend $500. My wife was wondering what took me so long. I bought a new Slingshot Response Wakeboard and bindings (and a proper wakeboard rope). I’d never seen a wakeboard like this before. They’re quite different. They are almost like a snowboard. Totally flat on the bottom and they flex. They are still supposed to have a good pop off the wake and the landings are incredibly soft. I talked to several independent people (the Mastercraft sales guy included) that told me I would just love it. I can hardly wait until it warms up a little so I can try it out. The nice thing is that if I don’t like it, I can exchange it in June and try the Recoil, which has the 3 stage rocker rather than the continuous arc.

Then came the Mastercraft dealer because it was the first of the ski boats. I was disappointed that they didn’t have any of the models that appeal to me. There was no X-7, no X-14, no PS197 and no PS214. All they had were the bigger boats. My wife did think the ‘head’ in the X-45 was a great idea, but, as a man, I get to pee off the swim grid, so I was indifferent. Nice boat, but pretty freakin’ big. I would have preferred to see some of their smaller boats, particularly the new X-14V.

I was actually impressed with the Nautiques this year. It was nice to see them finally offering some STYLE, although their slalom boat is still fugly. Supreme had some amazing deals since Olympic Boat Centers went out of business and they had to buy back about 52 boats. They were blowing out brand new $48K buy back boats for $36K. …Not that I’d want one, just that they were a screamin’ deal. Malibu seemed to have all the same boat there. I could hardly tell one “Ride” from another. Nice, but nothing new. Same with all the other brands.

One of the fun things we saw was the “Wicked” Sprint Racing boats. The sport originated in New Zealand with a bunch of insane Kiwis. They take a 12’ aluminum boat and stick a 650 hp (the other class is 900 hp) V8 jet into it. These things do 0-80 in 3 seconds. I think I might have to head down to check out the races. It just looks insane!

All in all we had a great weekend. It was nice to get away. Hopefully now I can make it through the next couple of months until we can get out on the water. Until then I guess I’ll have to put on another coat of the polish I got sucked into buying.
Thanks for the review Muttly. Headed there this weekend myself. Sorry to hear they don't have some of the models there I really wanted to see.:mad:

brucemac
01-26-2009, 06:13 PM
yeah, i went on saturday. it was fun. met rusty malinoski at the MC booth. that was pretty cool. :)

i never thought i'd say it, but that new 09 malibu vlx is pretty plush.

sand2snow22
01-26-2009, 08:24 PM
i never thought i'd say it, but that new 09 malibu vlx is pretty plush.

They are nice. My only gripe with the new hull is the dent on the side is weird looking?

Axis is a POS.....

brucemac
01-26-2009, 08:33 PM
i didn't notice the dent. i couldn't stop drooling over how much space there was inside. i really liked the new display too. personally, i've always thought they were a little disco and i've never been a fan of the illusion x towers, but it was pretty sharp for sure. always nice to look at the latest and greatest, but this year it really made me appreciate what i have, especially when i looked at the price tags. :)

TX.X-30 fan
01-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Muttly -

The boat with the "head" was the black X55. The X45 does not come with a bathroom. Yes, that X55 is HUGE. It was alot of black on that boat - but very nice. My 6 year daughter really liked the bathroom - it gave her more places to hide from me while talking to the sales guys.

90 gallons gas on that beast. Better wake but getting about as expensive as a go fast. :D

last summer that's 90x5.00+ on the water plus beer and snacks its a whooping 500 dollar day outing. :D

dlamont
01-27-2009, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately we couldn't bring any direct drives to the show or the new X14v. We have one on order but has yet to arrive. It has been a great show so far and good to see all you MC owners coming out.
And Muttly, you will love that new Slingshot!!

sand2snow22
01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
And Muttly, you will love that new Slingshot!!

Which Slingshot are you talking about? Thinking about getting the Recoil or Reflex myself.

dlamont
01-27-2009, 05:56 PM
I ride the Recoil and love it. I heard the Reflex was more for rails, but I don't have any first hand experience on it.

Muttley
01-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Which Slingshot are you talking about? Thinking about getting the Recoil or Reflex myself.

I got the Response. I figured the worst that could happen was a road trip in May to exchange it for the Recoil. The difference is the Response continuous arc and the Recoil is a 3 stage rocker. Since I'm not exactly getting inverted (old slalom guy here), I figured I'd stick with the Response.

DLamont probably remembers me asking about it. I was a little unsure because it seems like such a different approach. He raved about it and pointed to another rider who loved it, so I figured it sounded pretty good.

The first rider and at about 1:20 in the guy and the guy after him are on the Response: http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=36-bwvZbA4Y