PDA

View Full Version : x-star changes 2004 to now.

dino
01-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Well, I just bought an 04 X-star and I was really excited, now I'm wondering if I made the right decision. I got what I thought was a great deal, but I went back and read all the posts on team talk about the 04 and the reviews seemed to be mixed. Some of the comments on the 04 seemed to say it has quite a few problems. I understand the tower is a ***** to put down. Mine has the 350 MCX, which I think is rated at 350hp, but I read on here that in 2004 this engine had 310hp. I drove it twice and it seemed to have plenty of power, but maybe it doesn't for some people. I'm just curious about a couple of things, what changes have been made from 2004 to 2008? What should and can I change to avoid some of the problems the 04 has? Impellers have been changed already with the yellow ones. I'm in the process of taking out the clarion stuff and replacing it with WetSounds. It seemed like everyone hated the clarion system, it doesn't sound so hot, but it's not terrible. Any suggestions on what I should change. I'm a so-so wakeboarder, but I just started at the end of last season. I figured out that it shares a lot with snowboarding, which I've done for ten years. We usually have about 6 people with us on our boat, but who knows how many will be on it this year because we switched from a small cruiser to the x-star. I know I'm blowing up with posts, but just trying to get the boat ready before summer.

Jim
01-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Your MCX is rated at 350hp, the 310hp that you mention was the base motor for that year. The MCX was the next upgrade.

alletric
01-26-2009, 07:11 AM
Congratulations on the boat. I don't have any specifics but it sounds like you are asking for popular opinion to form yours about your boat. You will find plenty to critize on here. You have bought it now so I would enjoy it and when something comes up that is not to your liking then fix it.

magnum
01-26-2009, 08:39 AM
Hey Don't worry about anything on your boat , You got an Awsome boat . There is not much difference between the 04 to 08 other than cosmetic changes and a few advances in technology items . I test drove an 04, bought an 06. Both had the 8.1L 450HP engines. Use all summer with NO problems. It is an Excellent boat. Enjoy it

justinlkgb
01-26-2009, 09:10 AM
Dude...you got an X-star!!! Wish I did...someone on here will be able to tell you all you wanted :worthy:and didn't want to know about your new toy:rant:. Enjoy!!:D:purplaugh

vision
01-26-2009, 09:23 AM
As stated above, not a lot of changes. My advice, for what it is worth:

1. The MCX motor will work fine. If you are adding > 1500 pounds of ballast, you may want to use a different prop (Contact Eric at OJ Props).
2. X-Stars like weight in the back to get a tight lip on the wake. If you are a beginner to intermediate rider, I would add about 400# of weight in the form of fat sacs in each of the rear lockers, and maybe 100 under each bow seat. With the stock ballast empty, this gives a nice lippy wake. To get a bigger wake, start filling the stock ballast as needed. No need to plumb in the fat sacs right off the bat, just use a Tsunami or similar pump.
3. The clarion stereo is not that bad. Stick with the stock stereo for awhile. You can upgrade to JL amps later.
4. Tower is not that bad to fold. Not as easy as some of the other towers out there, but still less than 5 minutes.
5. You will need to ride at a faster speed and slightly shorter rope compared to your last boat as the X star has a wide wake. For intermediate riding, try 65 feet at 23 - 24 MPH.

dino
01-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank you all for the responses. I really am excited about the boat, just trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. I was just really wondering about the little advancements in technology, such as fuel pumps, ballast impellers etc... Little things that I could change so I wouldn't have problems this summer.

russlars
01-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Congrats on new boat. I'm sure that you will love it.:) Just a couple other things you may want to consider. Do you have service records on the engine? If so, check to make sure that it has had an oil change and new raw water impeller. Also, you are probably ready for some new spark plugs and you probably need a transmission fluid change. Make sure the spark arrestor is clean. I'm sure others will chime in with basic maintenance recommendations also, but these are a few that come to mind.:twocents:

Ole Miss Rebels
01-26-2009, 03:24 PM
05 and newer xstars have 7.7" jl speakers, throttle by wire and also swivel board racks. also, probably has a newver software chip for the perfect pass. somethings in the 04 are standard like the bow ladder, in the newer models they are optional. the mcx is a very, very good motor. time tested. i had one in my 05 xstar and it did well with the correct prop. my 05 came with an oj 13.7 X 17.5. that prop was only good for light ballast and cruising then i bought an oj xmp edge 14.24 X 14. that was the single greatest improvement i ever made on my boat. you have a killer boat. keep it forever and you will get more than your investment back in enjoyment. the 09 hull is identical to the orginal hull that came out in 03 so no change at all there. they did add a better rudder in 06. usually your dealer can get that taken care of for you as a courtesy since the boat id not handle all that well with the original rudder. good luck with your new baby and don't ever think you don't have the cat's meow when it comes to wakeboarding boats. hotty toddy and gthlsu.

dino
01-26-2009, 03:58 PM
I just want to say if the boat is half as good as some of the people on here I'm pumped that I got a MC. Thank you

magnum
01-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Just be careful when you are loading & lauching boat, YOU will have a LOT of Lookers just Staring at your Boat .:) Post some pictures when you can

dino
01-27-2009, 12:29 AM
How do you post pictures on here?

TMCNo1
01-27-2009, 06:40 AM
How do you post pictures on here?

This may help, http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=103156&postcount=10

wakeX2wake
01-27-2009, 09:16 AM
I just want to say if the boat is half as good as some of the people on here I'm pumped that I got a MC. Thank you

dude you should be stoked... now load it down and hit the wake

Jerseydave
01-27-2009, 05:03 PM
I have a 2005 X-star MCX. As mentioned before, performance can be improved by changing to the new style rudder and changing your prop for more holeshot and pulling power under heavier loads (like extra ballast) I'm running the OJ 14.25 X 14.5 prop, huge improvement over the stock prop. I feel the only reason to stick with the standard prop would be for long distance cruising and barefooting. I hit 38-39 mph with the new prop.

(2) 400# sacs in the rear lockers and adding 500-750# up front can really make the wake really nice for advanced riders. Add 8 people in the boat and you have a real bone-crusher! :D (for some reason riders have the habit of getting wrecked behind my X-star)

Post some pics of your new ride, Congrats!

RWB_XSTAR
01-27-2009, 08:12 PM
I picked-up my '04 last year and love it. I do plan to chance the prop as others have mentioned (will be adding some more weight this Spring). I don't fold the tower and really don't care that the '05's have swivel racks. I went for the best bang for the buck...and that was an '04 :)