PDA

View Full Version : 2004 x-star ballast

dino
01-23-2009, 02:37 PM
I just bought an 04 x-star and I'm having trouble with the ballast. The pumps are going the impellers have been replace with the yellow ones, but it is still not working. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, if anyone knows where I could buy replacement snap-in carpet for this boat I would appreciate it.

russlars
01-23-2009, 02:43 PM
Can't answer your questions about ballast, but you should be able to purchase snap in carpet from your dealer. These guys were able to get mine: http://mymastercraft.com/ Give them a call.

dino
01-23-2009, 03:07 PM
I found the carpet I need, thank you very much.

vision
01-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Is the through hole valve open for your ballast? I am sure you checked but I thought I woudl ask.

As with the intake through hull for the engine raw water cooling, there is a shut off valve on the intake through hull for the ballast for most MCs (All the ones I have owned or seen). Straight up is usually open, perpendicular to the fitting is closed.

vision
01-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Is the through hole valve open for your ballast? I am sure you checked but I thought I woudl ask.

As with the intake through hull for the engine raw water cooling, there is a shut off valve on the intake through hull for the ballast for most MCs (All the ones I have owned or seen). Straight up is usually open, perpendicular to the fitting is closed.

Sorry. Through Hull not Hole.

dino
01-23-2009, 09:56 PM
This is going to sound really stupid, but I don't have an owner's manual. I don't know where to check the valves. If you could direct me.

vision
01-24-2009, 10:16 AM
The through hull for the ballast system is usually on the port side of the boat, just under the exhaust manifolds in the engine compartment. You can look at the bottom of the boat as well to locate the through hulls. They vary in color and shape depending on the year and model, but are usually either brass or white plastic on the bottom of the boat.

You should see a brass pipe fitting with a handle on the inside of each through hull. It is this handle that opens and closes the valve. You should be able to track the tubing attached to the pipe fitting to either your engine water pump (usually the starboard through hull) or your ballast pumps/valves (port side).

Most folks leave both valves open all the time. Remember, never close the engine cooling through hull and then run the engine.

If you need, you can download the manual for your boat for free from MC. Look for the link on the MC main page. If you can not find it, search these forums as I know folks have posted the link in the past.

dino
01-25-2009, 10:26 AM
Thank you for explaining all of that, I've just never had a boat with ballasts. Hopefully, after this summer I won't sound like a complete idiot. I really appreciate it.