PDA

View Full Version : Retrofit ballast system

ffwade
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit an older Mastercraft with a ballast system? I have a 2000 Prostar 205 and my boys are getting in to wakesurfing. It would be nice to be able to manipulate the wake better, since I primarily slalom ski.
Thanks!

flipper
01-19-2009, 06:32 PM
No reason why you couldn't

ffwade
01-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Any ideas on where I could get the equipment, or is this something my local dealer would have to do? Thanks for the reply!

brucemac
01-19-2009, 06:49 PM
ffwade

check out http://www.fatsac.com/FlyHigh/FlyHighProducts.html

they make the bags and fittings

you can use a tsunami pump to manually fill and drain them or plumb them in and make it automatic. the latter obviously being more difficult but not impossible depending on your skills.

is your boat a D-Drive or a V-Drive?

paul from cinci has a good overview of his automated ballast install on his 04 205V that can be found here:
http://www.wakesiderides.com/rides/index.php?page=out&id=1482

flipper
01-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Beat me to it

flipper
01-19-2009, 06:51 PM
Also do a search on here. Many people here have done lots of different things for ballast systems.

ffwade
01-19-2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the help. This should get me started. I went to the Fort Worth boat show last weekend and I was drooling over the new Mastercrafts. I love my current boat but the ballast system would really be great. A lot cheaper, too!

1boarder
01-19-2009, 11:07 PM
someone correct me if I am wrong but the prostar 205 is the old xstar, x2, x1 and there is plenty of info on this. Phat in cincy did a 205 with some pics somewhere up here. the fly high v drive sacs come in a pair and put 400 lbs on each side (800 total) under the sundeck beside the engine. Then you could put a tube sac in the ski locker or get one custom made for that space and if you really want to get into it, put the fly high one that goes under the front seats. This boat really likes 1500-2500 (some go higher) and gives an excellent wake.

Stay with the fly high pro x bags as they are the best IMO. Jabsco reversible ballast puppys (stock mC) are roughly 250 each and the only way to go for a permanent system. You could buy the bags and get the manual fly high pump or two for a while and see how you like it. If you want to do a project, it isn't hard but you will need to educate yourself on the systems, be ready to drill a hole in the bottom of the boat, run wiring that reverses pumps, etc. None of it is hard if you are handy, but it is time consuming to plan and will very quickly end up costing 300-500 in bags, 750 for pumps (if you go mc ome), hoses 100, check valves 50, wiring 100, MC ballast switches 60, and something always bites you for 100 more than you think.

Like i said, if you want to try something out, go with fly high pro x bags (wakeside.com has a good website on diameters and weight of bags) and get a fly high tusnami pump (100 or you can make your own areator pump with the same tusnami pump for 50 dollars). Then if you want a permanent system, you already have the bags.

hester
01-20-2009, 06:56 AM
Here is the link for the Phat in Cincy install. Search for his bill of materials because it wasn't that bad. I think he used a less expensive pump but not sure.

http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=17225

I've got a 99 205 DD and going to be adding a permanent system soon. My searches a while back said 1500 lbs was the perfect number and that was my experience. The wake was great using the pro x series 750 in the trunk, 350 in the ski locker and 350 integrated bow sac (its a 750 but under our seats it will not fill up to 100% cap).

With that said I have no clue how to alter that setup for wakesurfing. And with 1500 ballast and several passengers I will need a slightly more aggressive prop.

1boarder
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
the pump he used is a simer BW8512 (i think that is the model). It runs less than 100 (BEatlas.com). It is very similar to the jabsco except it has a plastic head, is rated 1.5 gph slower and more importantly it is not ignition protected and can not be put where there may be fumes. I added a simer to my x1 for the front ballast (only came with the back) and I never was happy with it. Many have good things to say about them, I don't

B-rad
01-20-2009, 04:39 PM
There are a thousad ways to skin this cat. I followed some of pauls ideas and used Tsunami pumps for my fill and dumps, I have a 99-X star and it fills in about 6-8 minutes and dumps a round 8-10, I have 750's in the rear, Integrated bow around 1100 in the front and 400 in the center. With individual fills and dumps its great to board or for surfing. should be a great project for you do this winter.