PDA

View Full Version : Steak!!! It's what's for dinner!

Justjoe
01-18-2009, 08:06 PM
This is the tutorial thread.

Here we go, Steak CaveMan syle!!

Your equipment list:

Justjoe
01-18-2009, 08:07 PM
This is a Delmonico (Rib Eye). It’s delicious thick and marbled well. The fat is important because this is what brings the FLAVOR to this piece of meat. Don’t skimp on your beef. I’m not going to complicate my thing by having vegetables or a salad. Meat and wine…like a king!!

Justjoe
01-18-2009, 08:08 PM
When you get the meat home, get it out of its wrapper and let it sit out for a bit. Like red wine, beef is better if you cook it from room temperature. Sure, you could whip it right onto the grill, but this is better….Trust me. Hey, and even IF you were grilling, the meat does better if it’s not chilled.

Now that your meat is warming, go ahead and open the wine. This is a Malbec from Argentina. It’s a fairly medium bodied red that works well. There are some people that would say that a strong American Merlot, or Cab would be better…I don’t care. I like this. Pour your wine and let it breathe.

Justjoe
01-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Get your steak in the marinade while you set your workspace.
I like to use Dales Steak Seasoning. I let the steak sit in it for about ten minutes per side. It’s really high in salt, but that’s ok. There are two things that bring out the flavors in food, salt and alcohol. Of course, too much makes it so you can’t taste anything (but by then maybe you don’t care anyways).

Justjoe
01-18-2009, 08:10 PM
Start your oven (I like 450 degrees), and have some wine. Use a good glass. I like Riedel. It really does make a difference. We even drink water out of them anymore. One of life’s little extravagances, I guess.

Justjoe
01-18-2009, 08:11 PM
Start heating your Iron Skillet on the stove. You want this to get HOT. I add a little extra virgin olive oil (just a tiny bit) to the pan so things don’t stick and burn. You want to get your skillet hot enough that the air above it is wavy looking like a hot road in the desert with that girl hitchhiking in the red bikini and the long blonde hair. We want to sear the meat.

When your skillet gets hot, scatter some Kosher Salt on both sides of the meat. Don’t be real concerned about the salt after the salty marinade. This will lock in the meats juices, and will pretty much burn/fall off the outside of the meat. Slide the meat into the skillet and fry the bageezus out of one side of it. Don’t flip the meat or play with it to see “how it’s doing”. Figure for five minutes on this side.

Justjoe
01-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Alright, things are starting to smell really good, and the wine is tasting really good so go ahead and flip the meat in the pan. You should have a good color on this side of the meat. I even like to see some charred blackened areas. That is going to be delicious. However, remember that beef (outside of ground beef) should always be served no more than medium rare. This steak is a good two inches thick, so the center of mine will still have a pulse when I’m eating it.

Justjoe
01-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Once you flip the meat, put the skillet into the oven. This is going to cook the other side, and warm the slab a little. Remember, that skillet was HOT so it only cooked the very exterior of your steak. THAT is how you want it.

Four or five minutes in the oven and your ready to go!! This is the way I like my beef (if you listen REALLY hard, you can still hear it….moo…mooo). This is five minutes per side. The first five minutes were on the stove, the second in the oven. If you really don’t appreciate steak the way you really should, and would rather kill it a little, add time to the OVEN portion of the show. The stove time SHOULD NOT CHANGE.

Justjoe
01-18-2009, 08:15 PM
I only cut the steak to display the result. DO NOT CUT YOUR STEAKS TO SEE IF THEY ARE DONE. Here’s a cool trick. Hold out your left hand. Using your right index finger put some pressure on the meaty base of your palm by your thumb. See how this moves when you push it?? That is a rare steak. If your meat moves more than this, in my book, it’s overdone. I used a knife to show the hand location (as I only have two (hands) and somebody has to run the camera) in this picture. Put some pressure on the meat in the oven before you get it out. Does it move the way you want it too??

Justjoe
01-18-2009, 08:16 PM
You will find that this steak NEEDS NO “STEAK SAUCE”. In fact, the only reason to use steak sauce on a piece of meat is to cover up mistakes. The Dale’s and Kosher salt adds the perfect amount of pizzazz.

This may very well be the best piece of meat you have ever eaten in your life. I’m serious. Ruth’s Chris, Sullivan’s, they’ve got NOTHIN on me. The complication is that this is a meal done best in very small numbers. This is your solo meal, or maybe you’re going to impress some woman. If you’re cooking for a big party, use the grill and drink beer.

TX.X-30 fan
01-18-2009, 08:22 PM
Looks good to me. I tend to like strips more but I would not not say a word if you flopped that in front of me.

Covi
01-18-2009, 08:24 PM
Excellent!!!

TX.X-30 fan
01-18-2009, 08:32 PM
One with a good coating of cracked pepper and grilled on infrared burner. :D Little more char than your but very med rare.

mattsn
01-18-2009, 08:35 PM
Like your style, but I prefer mine on my Big Green Egg. I get the egg up to around 800 degrees and then T-Rex it. About 1.5 minutes on each side to sear it. I then take it off the grill and let it rest for about 5-6 minutes. During this time I let the BGE get back to 300-350 degrees. When all is set, about 5 minutes per side and then serve.

The result is a great sear on the outside and tender juicy on inside.

I also would agree, get your meat out and at room temperature before you do any cooking.

Maristar210
01-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Joe,

I agree with you.

A nice Turnbull Cabernet with that next time though, okay?

sand2snow22
01-18-2009, 11:33 PM
Nice write up!! Salt is money!!

TOO-TALL
01-19-2009, 12:02 AM
It must be winter.People are so bored there taking pictures of dinner.:D:D::D

Now I'm hungry.:D

thatsmrmastercraft
01-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Beautifully done ( I had to be careful not to say well done and give someone ideas of eating the heel off a cowboy boot)! Looks like I will be picking up a steak for dinner tomorrow.

2RLAKE
01-19-2009, 08:50 AM
i think we are having steaks for dinner tonight .. i'm hungry

6ballsisall
01-19-2009, 09:44 AM
Like your style, but I prefer mine on my Big Green Egg. I get the egg up to around 800 degrees and then T-Rex it. About 1.5 minutes on each side to sear it. I then take it off the grill and let it rest for about 5-6 minutes. During this time I let the BGE get back to 300-350 degrees. When all is set, about 5 minutes per side and then serve.

I also would agree, get your meat out and at room temperature before you do any cooking.

Tru Dat.

Ruth Chris style

There is an easier way though...........Sear the meat just like you describe above and then after side 2 is seared for 1.5 minutes close off the air vents all the way and leave the meat on for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes take the meat out (temps will have dropped dramatically) and let it sit up for 5-7 minutes then enjoy

lanier92prostar
01-19-2009, 09:52 AM
Tru Dat.

Ruth Chris style

There is an easier way though...........Sear the meat just like you describe above and then after side 2 is seared for 1.5 minutes close off the air vents all the way and leave the meat on for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes take the meat out (temps will have dropped dramatically) and let it sit up for 5-7 minutes then enjoy

The green egg master has spoken. Now go smoke a brisket or something.

6ballsisall
01-19-2009, 10:17 AM
The green egg master has spoken. Now go smoke a brisket or something.

Like this one? Better come hungry this evening LP!

mattsn
01-19-2009, 11:40 AM
Tru Dat.

Ruth Chris style

I have done it both ways with excellent results. Now, off to do about 18 lbs of Boston Butt that will become the best pulled pork for sandwich, ATB's, etc. for Super Bowl weekend.

6ballsisall
01-19-2009, 12:03 PM
I have done it both ways with excellent results. Now, off to do about 18 lbs of Boston Butt that will become the best pulled pork for sandwich, ATB's, etc. for Super Bowl weekend.

:toast::headbang:

fletch_n_me
01-19-2009, 12:15 PM

AMEN! My Egg is like my best friend and you there is really no going back once you get a steak off of an egg. My wife won't order steak at a restaurant anymore.

Remember those commercials where the Indian would cry by the side of the road when someone littered? That is what I just did when I saw that ribeye hit a frying pan. The horror - the horror.

6ballsisall
01-19-2009, 12:28 PM
AMEN! My Egg is like my best friend and you there is really no going back once you get a steak off of an egg. My wife won't order steak at a restaurant anymore.

Remember those commercials where the Indian would cry by the side of the road when someone littered? That is what I just did when I saw that ribeye hit a frying pan. The horror - the horror.

They are amazing aren't they? You can make a mediocre quality steak taste as good or better than a higher dollar steak at a restaurant. I'm a big fan of ceramic cookers.

Moderator2
01-19-2009, 01:24 PM
They are amazing aren't they? You can make a mediocre quality steak taste as good or better than a higher dollar steak at a restaurant. I'm a big fan of ceramic cookers.

You don't say :D

6ballsisall
01-19-2009, 02:05 PM

:guitar::wavey:

BriEOD
01-19-2009, 02:43 PM
Steak in a frying pan!! Are you kidding me?? Steak in a frying pan and a glass of wine...are you on the right website? The horror, the shame. Dude, buck up and get a BGE. If you're going to bring that stuff on here, you better come strong!! ;)

loeweb
01-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Steak in a frying pan!! Are you kidding me?? Steak in a frying pan and a glass of wine...are you on the right website? The horror, the shame. Dude, buck up and get a BGE. If you're going to bring that stuff on here, you better come strong!! ;)

I was waiting for someone to chime in that way instead of blowing smoke up his a$$ about how great a steak looks when it is charred on the outside and blood rare on the inside. If that's your thing great, but give me a cheap cut of meat, not marinated and slow grilled, slap some A-1 on it, crack open the sixth or 7th beer, and call it a meal. :twocents:

TX.X-30 fan
01-19-2009, 02:56 PM
Tru Dat.

Ruth Chris style

Thanks Emeril.

TX.X-30 fan
01-19-2009, 02:57 PM

What's your problem he just said that. 8p

TX.X-30 fan
01-19-2009, 03:00 PM
By the way green egg grill boy, thats not ruths way. 1500 degree oven seared and removed allowed to finish with a huge slab of butter on top headed to the table. USDA 21 day dry aged beef.

BriEOD
01-19-2009, 04:01 PM
Thanks Emeril.

Apparently, BGE boy has read the BGE recipe book. I think that is like page 1.;)

flipper
01-19-2009, 04:03 PM
6nuts uses a BGE now?????

BriEOD
01-19-2009, 04:08 PM
BTW, I've had my BGE for a few years now. On one particular occasion, I recall getting fresh tenderloin from the butcher to make filets (like $70 in top notch beef). While it turned out spectacular, I don't think it was better than Ruth's Chris. I've eaten at a lot of top notch steak joints (RC, Mortons, Berns, Charleys, etc), but I don't think anyone makes a filet better than Ruth's Chris. In fact, I could eat one everyday from dinner and not get sick of it. I happened to be at the Ruth's Chris at Pier V in the Baltimore Harbor this past Friday. Filet--yum, yum!

6ballsisall
01-19-2009, 04:45 PM
Apparently, BGE boy has read the BGE recipe book. I think that is like page 1.;)

Brian you know I can't read, I live in Georgia 8p

6ballsisall
01-19-2009, 04:47 PM
By the way green egg grill boy, thats not ruths way. 1500 degree oven seared and removed allowed to finish with a huge slab of butter on top headed to the table. USDA 21 day dry aged beef.

Ok, ok.........so I missed the butter part.

I was told 1200 degrees? Eh, oh well, it's all HOT anyway.

/ I'm with Breod, I could eat a Ruth Chris Filet most every night.

Jimmauburn
01-19-2009, 05:09 PM
If you are going to cook meat in an iron skillet then we really need to have a class on how to blacken that meat and get a good spicey outside char but yes the insides of that beef are perfect. Down in New Orleans they really know a thing or two about Blackened Ribeye !!! That has to be a favorite of mine. A good choice of Wine for the Steak dinner "blackened" is a good California Pinot Noir.

Jim@BAWS
01-19-2009, 05:12 PM
I am sooooo very glad that I stumbled across this thread...now that we are all
showing each other our meat.

I am soooo hungry

Jim@BAWS

trickskier
01-19-2009, 05:16 PM

I agree, my steaks are always cooked over charcoal! :D 43804

Jimmauburn
01-19-2009, 05:17 PM
Here is a small easy recipe for anyone who would like to venture out and try and Blackened Ribeye in a Cajun Cream Sauce.

Dust with Cajun spices, blacken on a cast iron skillet
10 – 12 oz. Ribeye - cook on each side approx. 5-7 mins.

Cajun Cream Sauce
1 Pint of heavy whipping cream – reduce it in a pan (4 mins. To reduce)
Add garlic sauce & pepper
½ tablespoon Cajun spices
1 Teaspoon Tabasco
1 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Teaspoon A-1 sauce

TX.X-30 fan
01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Here is a small easy recipe for anyone who would like to venture out and try and Blackened Ribeye in a Cajun Cream Sauce.

Dust with Cajun spices, blacken on a cast iron skillet
10 – 12 oz. Ribeye - cook on each side approx. 5-7 mins.

Cajun Cream Sauce
1 Pint of heavy whipping cream – reduce it in a pan (4 mins. To reduce)
Add garlic sauce & pepper
½ tablespoon Cajun spices
1 Teaspoon Tabasco
1 Teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 Teaspoon A-1 sauce

That sounds good and with the sauce and blackening you don't need to go overboard on the grade. I may do this one on wed wifey bunco night.

TX.X-30 fan
01-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Ok, ok.........so I missed the butter part.

I was told 1200 degrees? Eh, oh well, it's all HOT anyway.

/ I'm with Breod, I could eat a Ruth Chris Filet most every night.

It is a trick to get it to your table sizzling and still cooking but not overdone.

1200/ 1500 its hot for sure. You can mimic what they do with an oven that has the infrared broiler. I would put the cast skillet in and let it get hot and add the steak so the bottom crusts from the pan and the top is seared from the intense heat of the burner.

Maristar210
01-20-2009, 12:22 PM
Thanks Jeff !!

Maristar210
01-20-2009, 12:24 PM
More.........

6ballsisall
01-20-2009, 12:27 PM
Looks awesome Mari! Hey wait a minute, is that the Dark Side everyone talks about in that last picture?

Didn't Gene tell you it wasn't nice to brag about being a member? 8p

flipper
01-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Looks great....I'll have one soon.

What's your pass word for the darkside?

flipper
01-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Oh, wait, I see my name on there, never mind:D

6ballsisall
01-20-2009, 12:36 PM
Dang, look how much thicker that outer shell is vs. a BGE

JohnE
01-20-2009, 12:41 PM
I can't believe you posted this picture!!!!:eek:

We know your dinner is the plate on the right next to the Miller Light.:D

6ballsisall
01-20-2009, 12:42 PM

Is Cam over at his house? I mean, who's glass of wine is that? :popcorn:

/ So many unanswered questions :confused:

JohnE
01-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Is Cam over at his house? I mean, who's glass of wine is that? :popcorn:

/ So many unanswered questions :confused:

I think the wine belongs to JustJoe...Actually might be his laptop, too.

Maristar210
01-20-2009, 12:52 PM
I think the wine belongs to JustJoe...Actually might be his laptop, too.

Sorry to dissappoint. Wine for the girls my friends. That Miller Lite on the counter? Yeah that's mine !!!

Maristar210
01-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Why John? You don't like baked cheese tortelinni?

JohnE
01-20-2009, 12:58 PM
Why John? You don't like baked cheese tortelinni?

I might - never had it. But that 4 oz steak can't be enough for you.:D

Maristar210
01-20-2009, 01:03 PM
I might - never had it. But that 4 oz steak can't be enough for you.:D

I had two steaks, I admit it....:(

JohnE
01-20-2009, 01:21 PM
I had two steaks, I admit it....:(

4 miles a day = it's ok.

Maristar210
01-20-2009, 01:35 PM
4 miles a day = it's ok.

5 miles yesterday.... sore as hell today :D

flipper
01-20-2009, 02:02 PM
5 miles yesterday.... sore as hell today :D

Is it worth that extra steak though?

Maristar210
01-20-2009, 02:08 PM
Is it worth that extra steak though?
You damn straight... :D

flipper
01-20-2009, 02:14 PM
Thought so, now quit whining and strap on your running shoes

Maristar210
01-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Thought so, now quit whining and strap on your running shoes

Said the fat guy on the couch

JohnE
01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
I bet that 2nd steak didn't last nearly as long as that 5th mile.:D

Make no mistake, I'd say it was a good decision.:cool:

My legs are screaming from last night's workout, too.

flipper
01-20-2009, 02:24 PM
Said the fat guy on the couch

:uglyhamme:uglyhamme

fletch_n_me
01-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Dang, look how much thicker that outer shell is vs. a BGE

6balls - are you using a placesetter under the drip pan in there? I can't tell from the pic.

I would cook cereal on the egg if there was a way...

BriEOD
01-20-2009, 05:29 PM
Looks like a plate setter to me. Hopefully, his "placesetter" is inside setting the table.:D

6ballsisall
01-20-2009, 05:31 PM
6balls - are you using a placesetter under the drip pan in there? I can't tell from the pic.

I would cook cereal on the egg if there was a way...

Yes there is a platesetter under there

Looks like a plate setter to me. Hopefully, his "placesetter" is inside setting the table.:D

Tru Dat :D

BriEOD
01-20-2009, 05:34 PM
Sorry Jason--couldn't pass that one up!

fletch_n_me
01-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Sorry Jason--couldn't pass that one up!

No problem whatsoever - that was a hanging curveball; you had no real choice but to swing away.