PDA

View Full Version : Lift Cradle

Bilge Water
01-18-2009, 01:50 PM
My dock has an existing boat lift with straps that go under the boat. I want to have a cradle made for the lift and ditch the straps. Is this also refered to as a Bunker?

Does anyone know if there is a recomended cradle design for a PS-209? Or should I have it fabricated to match the support rails on the trailer?

Thanks,

jimmer2880
01-18-2009, 03:47 PM
My owners manual says to ensure there are 250 square inches of contact with the hull.

Do you have any pics of your rig?

76S&S
01-19-2009, 10:05 AM
I made mine to roughly match the trailer.

Bilge Water
01-20-2009, 04:30 PM
My owners manual says to ensure there are 250 square inches of contact with the hull.

Do you have any pics of your rig?

Not good a good shot of the lift but it shows the blocks and straps lifting the Whaler.

vision
01-20-2009, 05:46 PM
I do not have a Pro Star, but I have an 08 Xstar on a cradle. I looked at many options last year and have our boat on a standard cradle. However, there are at least a dozen Prostars on cradles around the corner from our place. They are all on standard #4000 cradles from companies like Doozie Lifts. They are using 2 x 12 wooden runners on edge with double layers of indoor outdoor carpet which gives you a padded approx 2.5 inch surface. The runners are spaced as to not to interfere with the chines and the through hauls. In addition, you have to be careful not to pull the boat too far forward or you will hit the prop.

Some have added slanted 2 x 6's on the runners to better mimic the trailer. Be aware, however, that with that much wood on the lift cradle, you have to weight it down with metal weights to keep it from floating.

You can get inboard specific cradles with wider boards and different angles which in theory should work even better. But there are Pro Stars older than 15 years on many of those lifts near us and they live there 24 x 7 without a problem.

I hope this helps.

Bilge Water
01-21-2009, 11:13 AM
Thanks Vision, I will look up Doozie lifts.

One question, why do they mount the boards on end? To be sure to clear the through hull fittings? I would think on the side would provide more surface area and lower the point loads on the hull.