PDA

View Full Version : LED Install

Andyg
05-12-2005, 01:20 PM
I have been working on installing my LEDs that I got as part of the group buy. I have completed the LEDs under the swim platform, in the ski locker, the blower exhaust vents and under one gunnel. I am pretty happy with all of the installs except the gunnel. After installing 4 sets of 3 LEDs in the gunnel I powered them up. It appears more like 12 little spot lights instead of a more uniform lighting. I am giong to take those out and install LED rope light in the gunnel now. I hope this works better, especially since it was another $70 worth of lights to do both gunnels.

Ric
05-12-2005, 01:28 PM
pics
pics
pics

Andyg
05-12-2005, 02:24 PM
pics
pics
pics

I will try an take some tonight and post them.

erkoehler
05-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Where are the LED's from?

Andyg
05-12-2005, 03:04 PM
This is the place that we had the group buy from.

http://www.litupelectronics.com/ (www.litupelectronics.com/)

I ordered the LED rope for the gunnels from the place listed below.

www.sailorsams.com (http://www.sailorsams.com/mall/12-volt-led-red-rope-lights-38.asp)

Andyg
05-12-2005, 10:53 PM
Here is a photo of the stern without the swim platform installed. I have 7 lights with 3 leds each under the swim platform and one set of 4 LEDs in each blower exhaust for a total of 16 LEDs

JEREMY79
05-12-2005, 10:54 PM
dam dude are you scared of the dark?

Andyg
05-12-2005, 10:56 PM
Here is a picture of the rear storage. On each end I have two clusters of 4 LEDs each and in the middle I have on cluster of 4 LEDs for a total of 20 LEDs. These lights are wired to the courtesy light switch in the dash. I replace the regular light that was in there with one of the clusters of LEDs.

Andyg
05-12-2005, 10:59 PM
Here is a photo of the gunnel, which I don't like. There are four lights with a 3 LEDs each in the gunnel for a total of 12 LEDs. The clusters of three are spaced at about 12 inches. I don't like the fact that they appear more like little spot lights.

Mag_Red
05-12-2005, 11:02 PM
dam dude are you scared of the dark? :purplaugh I almost spit on the monitor when I read that! :purplaugh

Leroy
05-12-2005, 11:03 PM
This looks really nice, I'm thinking about adding this to the inside storage all the way around my boat. Then wiring to one of the empty ACC switches.Has anyone done this with the LED rope yet? WOnder how the lighting is then?

Andyg
05-12-2005, 11:03 PM
dam dude are you scared of the dark?

I figure if you are going to do it you might as well go big.

Andyg
05-12-2005, 11:09 PM
This looks really nice, I'm thinking about adding this to the inside storage all the way around my boat. Then wiring to one of the empty ACC switches.Has anyone done this with the LED rope yet? WOnder how the lighting is then?

I don't think you want to run LED rope all the way around the storage area. It would probably cost $150 just for the LED rope and would probably blind you. The 5 clusters of 4 that I have really light up the storage area. I wired the clusters in the storage into the "Courtesy Light" switch on the dash. I am going to be wiring the rest of the LEDs into my ACC2 swtich. Which is a three way switch. I will wire it so when in one position only the interior colored LEDs will be on. The second position will have all the interior lights on and also the blower exhaust lights and swim platform lights.

Stritt
05-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Looks good!

Question..........How did you wire the platform lights? Did you drill a hole and install a connector, so that you can remove the platform?

rodltg2
05-12-2005, 11:43 PM
whats the point of the platform lights? dont get it

Leroy
05-12-2005, 11:44 PM
AndyG; I'm always digging around in the storage area and there are small lights there, but not enough. I hate having to hold lights while looking around.

For the clusters did you buy the bulbs with several LEDs, but fit in regular bulb socket or use a 1-2' section of LED rope? Seems like placing 1-2' rope LED around might be good?

Andyg
05-13-2005, 12:35 AM
Looks good!

Question..........How did you wire the platform lights? Did you drill a hole and install a connector, so that you can remove the platform?

35th_197,
There is a shelf below the swim platform and above the bottom of the hull that I mounted the LEDs to. I drilled a hole through the hull where the lead wire comes out of the LED. I then used silicone to seal the hole from water penetrating it. This picture may help clear things up.

Andyg
05-13-2005, 12:37 AM
AndyG; I'm always digging around in the storage area and there are small lights there, but not enough. I hate having to hold lights while looking around.

For the clusters did you buy the bulbs with several LEDs, but fit in regular bulb socket or use a 1-2' section of LED rope? Seems like placing 1-2' rope LED around might be good?

Leroy,
Here is a picture of a cluster that I used in the storage (the lights I had were white not green though). I was really impressed with how much light these gave off. There are no shadows what so ever with using the five cluster lights. The picture that I posted of the storage space was taken in my garage with all the lights of and no flash. So you can see they do a pretty good job of lighting the area.

Andyg
05-13-2005, 12:40 AM
whats the point of the platform lights? dont get it

It is the pimpin factor! At night it makes the water glow around the back of the boat. I will probably only use these a few times a year when floating at night.

SteveO
05-13-2005, 07:49 AM
Looks good Andy, Another project for my list. If only time and money were endless.

Andyg
05-19-2005, 12:51 AM
I installed the new LED rope lights tonight under the gunnels and under the driver's dash. WOW does it look a lot better. Here is a pic of one of the gunnels.

Andyg
05-19-2005, 12:52 AM
Here is a picture of the drivers footwell under the dash. Don't mind the mess of wires as I haven't cleaned up after my project yet.

BriEOD
05-19-2005, 06:51 AM
Very sharp Andy. Nice job. :cool:

Davo
05-19-2005, 08:24 AM
Wow, you added a lot of lighting. I did some red LED tubes (eight lights each tube - in a row) under my gunnels and mounted them so that I wouldn't have the spot light effect and the result was basically what you acheived with the ropes.

Two tubes under each gunnel was the extent of my project. Although, I would like to put some under the bow. Like others mentioned, there are no lights in there and you never know when you'll need them.

The lights under the platform look cool, but the thought of drilling a hole in the boat makes me cringe. lol

I'll get some pics up later on. This is where I bought mine...$47 for all four... www.theneonedge.com/interior/interior.htm