PDA

View Full Version : Plane Crash in the Hudson River

chudson
01-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Just happened 1/2 hour ago.............

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/live.html?chanId=2

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream4

edit: sounds like they may have got everyone out of the plane safely.

double edit: Was headed for North Carolina.

trickskier
01-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I was watching that on the news.................Pilot did a great job..............No one hurt!!!

flipper
01-15-2009, 05:57 PM
Just wait for the tree huggers to go nuts now.

trickskier
01-15-2009, 06:00 PM
Just wait for the tree huggers to go nuts now.

Oh you know that's coming!!!

Justjoe
01-15-2009, 06:11 PM
So if you were onboard, would you hop on the next flight to your destination??

trickskier
01-15-2009, 06:18 PM
So if you were onboard, would you hop on the next flight to your destination??

Yes, right after I take a warm shower from being in that dirty Hudson River..............Oh wait, my bags are on the plane...........Now my clothes are wet too..........8p

flipper
01-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Yes, right after I take a warm shower from being in that dirty Hudson River..............Oh wait, my bags are on the plane...........Now my clothes are wet too..........8p

gotta wipe.....or I guess you could take care of that mess in the shower:D

ttu
01-15-2009, 06:35 PM
freaking amazing that he was able to land that plane.

Justjoe
01-15-2009, 06:36 PM
You would think that something like this would make me want to pay attention during the safety announcement about the whole "where's your door", and "you can use the seatback" thing, but...I wont.

TMCNo1
01-15-2009, 06:38 PM
You would think that something like this would make me want to pay attention during the safety announcement about the whole "where's your door", and "you can use the seatback" thing, but...I wont.

That's OK, just read Life Magazine during any flight and you'll always survive!:rolleyes:

Justjoe
01-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh yeah?? I usually can't get away from that SkyMall thing.

Justjoe
01-15-2009, 06:57 PM
But, seriously, I have flown into and out of that airport ALOT, and the river is RIGHT THERE, and it was always hard to see it and not think of the LAST time that someone drove a plane into it. Guess it was kind of fate that it would happen again.

Better than the one in Chicago where the plane ran through the intersection and squashed a kid in a car.

2RLAKE
01-15-2009, 08:31 PM
that event makes it more understandable to why captains can make the salary they do. The average commercial pilot will not experience even a single engine shut down during his career, much less than a double due to geese.

I am going to shoot some geese this weekend to make the country a safer place

chudson
01-16-2009, 08:35 AM
You would think that a survailance camera on some near by buildings would have caught at least a little of this!!!

TMCNo1
01-16-2009, 08:55 AM
You would think that a survailance camera on some near by buildings would have caught at least a little of this!!!

They apparently exist from this pic, but are probably being studied by the NTSB before full release,

Here is the 3 picture sequence on Yahoo Popular news picture, but none so far as the touchdown yet!

puck_11
01-17-2009, 06:11 PM

Ask and ye shall receive!

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/01/17/usair.splash.video/index.html

Bravo zulu to the captain!

thatsmrmastercraft
01-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Absolutely amazing. That took some serious large cajones!

Gamble
01-18-2009, 02:07 AM
that was one bad arse pilot...........I'll tip my hat to him...........I would have had trouser chili.

trickskier
01-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Just released photo...................:D

ttu
01-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Just released photo...................:D

wow, i am suprised that was not reported by espn:rolleyes:

Ron Grover
01-19-2009, 09:53 PM
I heard they were CANADIAN geese that caused this. More terrorists crossing our northern border. Probably entering illegally under cover. I say we begin bombing Quebec immediately.

TMCNo1
01-20-2009, 07:12 AM
I heard they were CANADIAN geese that caused this. More terrorists crossing our northern border. Probably entering illegally under cover. I say we begin bombing Quebec immediately.

X2, no time to waste, next thing ya know they'll be taking over our ponds and lakes!:rolleyes:

chudson
01-20-2009, 07:38 AM
It's too late, they've already began to fill our lakes with toxic waste!!!!

atlfootr
01-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Oh wait, my bags are on the plane...........Now my clothes are wet too..........8pEach passenger was reimbursed $5,000 in luggage fees and tickets were fully refunded as well, local news reported.

TMCNo1
01-20-2009, 08:34 AM
How much money will Canada get for the Canadian Geese the plane killed?:rolleyes::D

JohnE
01-20-2009, 08:39 AM
How much money will Canada get for the Canadian Geese the plane killed?:rolleyes::D

If the geese get hit over Canada, does the pilot go to jail? Dave Winfield wants to know.

JohnE
01-20-2009, 08:41 AM
Did everyone on board think they'd be OK as it were unfolding? I know I'd have been calling my wife to say goodbye...

TMCNo1
01-20-2009, 08:41 AM
If the geese get hit over Canada, does the pilot go to jail? Dave Winfield wants to know.

George W. still has time this morning to pardon him and have Tebow arrested for impersonating a pilot!

TMCNo1
01-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Could this have been part of the rescue effort?

chudson
02-06-2009, 08:05 AM
On the WGN radio website front page at the top there's a link to Sully's words with the tower before he put the plane in the Hudson!!!

http://wgnradio.com/

TX.X-30 fan
02-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Unable: We will be in the hudson! Guy was calm as he could be.

TMCNo1
02-06-2009, 08:29 AM
Sully and his crew should be awarded the nations highest honor, cause they is IMO, real heros!

YooperScott
02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
Did everyone on board think they'd be OK as it were unfolding? I know I'd have been calling my wife to say goodbye...

I wouldn't have and I am a pilot. In a small plane, sure you can ditch and have a high chance of survival, but in an airliner everything had to go pretty much perfect. I am guessing the thing stalls in his configuration which likely was slats and flaps down, gear up probably around 130 knots (150 mph) or more (he would probably have deployed all of that stuff once he had the river "made" in order to get the airplane into the slowest possible flight configuration). In a small plane figure stall speed probably under 60 mph in most cases. If anything caught enough to flip or twist the plane in any way then likely it would have broken up at least somewhat and therefore taken on water immediately and likely sank right away. Add to that the extra impact and so on from having that happen and the outcome would have probably been VERY different. I for one used to tell my co-worker types when flying and they say seat bottoms may be used as a floatation device in the event of a "water landing", that it wouldn't matter because you would be dead. I guess I was wrong on that. It is absolutely amazing to me that the outcome was what it was. In a small plane it will likely flip but by the time it happens you're probably going under 45 and can then probably unbuckle and swim away.

I listened to the audio and it was about as I would have expected. These guys are very professional and cool under fire. That and you just do not have time to get scared. Back when I still owned my airplane I had one of the electronic ignitions lose it's "timing" internally and did not have enough power to maintain altitude. It shook so violently I honestly thought one of the 3 blades came off the propellor. It was in the Chicago area and I was already "low" to stay under O'hare airspace so time was not on my side. All in a matter of probably 15-20 seconds I hit nearest on my GPS to see the closest airport and started troubleshooting. Aux fuel pump on, mixture full rich, carb heat on.....No change.....Start pulling mixture until it was completely quitting.....No change......Started tuning the radio for DuPage (my closest airport which was not far, but far enough I was not going to make it there) and was going to declare an emercency with them and was looking down for somewhere to try and land. As luck would have it there was a sod farm very close which in a small plane is about as perfect as it gets. I started visualizing my approach to get there and tried cycling the ignitions. First one off and it got even worse (was on only the bad one then), back on and then tried the other and suddenly everything was fine again. Like I said this all occurred in probably 15-20 seconds (felt like forever to me). I think calm on the outside and tormoil on the inside about probably summed that up too. I got scared once it was over but just did not have time for that while it was happening. My co-worker/friend with me just basically describes it as me pushing buttons and switches here and there in a frantic pace and then it was fine. Looking back on it, that is probably exactly what it looked like too. I thank my original instructor for drilling certain things into me and in some ways I also thank myself for being very mechanical, keeping a clear mind, and thinking about what could actually be wrong. There was no time for a checklist. After that happened though I still have checklists and use them not to forget something routine, I definitely think ahead of what to do if certain things go wrong because odds are good if it happens you do not have time to fumble to the right page and read. Many would disagree with that, but they also likely have not been there.

Scott
'95 LT-1 Prostar 190

TOO-TALL
02-07-2009, 12:09 AM
WOW!!!

I just listened to the Audio of 1549.
Sully was calmer then ATC.
Everyone should get a award for this.

Dottiesboat
02-07-2009, 03:45 AM
The calm in the cabin audio reminds me of the calm that was with the crew of Alaska (261)? flight as they were attempting to regain control of the plane over the Pacific.