PDA

View Full Version : Tristar Trailer Help

sberard5
01-15-2009, 12:18 PM
Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting on here so bear with me.

Last year I picked up a 1989 Tristar 190 which I am in the process of restoring. The restoration is going well so far but my problem is with the trailer.

It is currently on an ez loader roller trailer, something you dont typically see. The trailer is too small for the boat and is unsafe and hard to load.

I am looking to build a new single or tandem axle trailer and I am wondering if someone out there could take some time to give me some dimensions off of their trailer and also a few pictures. That would be a huge help. I am a fabricator by trade but trailer design isnt my specialty, yet.

Please help!!

flipper
01-15-2009, 12:36 PM
I don't have any dimensions for you, but (if you don't know already) make sure the bunks on the trailer line up with the stringers. Mine has one board on each stringer, and one more on each side.

sberard5
01-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Thanks for the reply. I do know that the stringers and bunks should be lined up with eachother and appeciate the advice. I bought the boat knowing that I would be replacing the trailer. Hopefully I can get some help from a fellow tristar owner.

JohnE
01-15-2009, 03:17 PM
TMCno1 might have some spec's on the older trailers. I know he had the spec's for placement of a boat buddy. You might pm him if he doesn't see this thread.

TMCNo1
01-15-2009, 03:26 PM
TMCno1 might have some spec's on the older trailers. I know he had the spec's for placement of a boat buddy. You might pm him if he doesn't see this thread.

All I know about the TriStar trailers is, both the single axle and tandem we made by SMP,
Sweetwater Metal Products Company
(423) 337-3466 127 Industrial Park Rd, Sweetwater, TN 37874
Trailer Manufacturers, Boat Trailers

sberard5
01-15-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks, you guys rock. I will check it out

87 TriStar 190
01-15-2009, 11:47 PM
If the hull on your 89 is the same as my 87, I can help you with dimensions. I have an SMP double axle trailer. There are four bunks. 2X4's with the 2 inch side up. I don't have any photo's with the boat off. I do have several shots I took when I refurbished the trailer a few years ago. I'll try to get those on here tomorrow night. It's also too cold in the garage tonight to start measuring. Let me know what dimensions you want to start.

JohnE
01-16-2009, 07:14 AM
Actually I sold my old tristar to a buddy. I can get whatever info you need, just not within minutes. PM me anything you can't find from others.

BTW, I loved that SMP trailer. I was about to put a boat buddy on it when I sold it.

damaged442
01-16-2009, 08:14 AM
I have an Eagle Trailer that came with my Tristar. It has four 2x6 bunks. Not sure why it came with an Eagle, but I know it came from the dealer. Possible dealer preference, maybe? Anyway, I wish I could help you out with dimensions, but the boat is in storage and I probably won't see it until April. Hopefully, I'll get aroung to refurbing the trailer this spring, it's starting to get a little rough around the edges. Then, I'm sure I'll have some dimensions!

cmw
01-16-2009, 08:38 AM
I have a 1990 210 Maristar I am restoring in my garage. Trailer should be close if not the same as a tristar I would think. If you need me to measure something, let me know. I will be working on it tonight.

TMCNo1
01-16-2009, 08:43 AM
If you don't want to have one built, but build it yourself, call SMP and see if they will sell/let you have a set of their blueprints for the trailer you need/want, shouldn't cost that much if any.

sberard5
01-16-2009, 09:21 AM
What is everyones preference for a trailer with a tristar? Single or Tandem Axle. I am thinking single but would like to know what everyone thinks.

JohnE
01-16-2009, 09:33 AM
What is everyones preference for a trailer with a tristar? Single or Tandem Axle. I am thinking single but would like to know what everyone thinks.

I think the consensus is everyone here prefers tandem for the "just in case" issue. I prefer the single axle because it is so much easier to manuever (sp?)

Fletchx7
01-16-2009, 09:40 AM
I agree completely with JohnE. I had a single axle Eagle trailer under my 88 Tristar and have a single now under my X7. Single axle allows me push the trailer in the garage since I have to angle it, but tandem gives you more piece of mind when towing. After brekaing an axle and losing a wheel, it makes me nervous every time I tow. I would have a tandem if my garage were big enough. Next house....and boat:D

damaged442
01-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Mine's a single and it's fine. Granted, the "just in case" issue mentioned above has crossed my mind...

cmw
01-16-2009, 01:02 PM
I have a tandem and have a pretty tricky driveway. Works great for me. Tandem is nice to have on the highway. I pm you about pics. The trailer is not part of my winter restoration, so it is in original shape. I will work on it in the spring. We have a crane at work and plan to lift the boat off the trailer to sandblast wield and paint.

87 TriStar 190
01-17-2009, 11:00 PM
I have several photos of the trailer, all with the boat on. I'll post three at a time and hope they all come through OK. I replaced "the bar" when I refurbished the trailer with a boat buddy. Great improvement. Also replaced the carpeting with the diamond plate. It dressed it up a little.

87 TriStar 190
01-17-2009, 11:02 PM
Second group of photos

87 TriStar 190
01-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Third group of photos.

87 TriStar 190
01-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Last ones. I hope something here is useful for you. Any questions, let me know.

sberard5
01-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the pictures. Pretty impressive looking trailer I must say. I picked up a 19ft bass boat trailer yesterday that I plan on modifying this spring. Should be able to make it work, the pictures will help. I may need a few dimensions if you dont mind.

sberard5
03-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Hello,

I recently fabricated a trailer to fit my 1989 Tristar 190 and I am ready to install the bunks. Could someone please take a few minutes and measure the distance between the bunks at the front and rear. I am curious to see if they are tapered? Any information you could provide would be a huge help.

Thank you

cmw
03-17-2009, 02:33 PM
"87 Tristar" I am jealous. Nice trailer and I think your boat would be perfect for the Mastercraft Museum. Very cool boat!