PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for Stereo w/ Ipod hook ups

Monte
01-14-2009, 12:13 PM
My current stereo has bitten the dust. Looking for info. Good experiences and or bad so I can buy the right thing.

TMCNo1
01-14-2009, 12:20 PM
You can find them cheap at the flea market,

flipper
01-14-2009, 12:21 PM
I've had good luck with pioneer and Clarion. Not such good luck with sony

scott023
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Although you do not see a lot of them around, the Bose 131 marine speakers have tremendous sound quality, and are more then reasonably priced. I believe that they come pre-cut to fit flush in the factory locations. They do not make a marine quality sub or amp, so if you want to stick with one brand throughout, this is obviously not the way to go.

brucemac
01-14-2009, 12:57 PM
Monte, what's the rest of your stereo setup include? Do you have driver side and/or transom remotes? Was it an older Clarion?

I know a lot of folks have replaced there old Clarions with this one:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020M475/Clarion-M475.html?tp=1721

It has an auxillary input for ipods and portable audio players on the face plate and works with the older Clarion remotes. I'm pretty happy with mine, but if I didn't have the stock Clarion driver and transom remotes, I'd probably look at Pioneer.

Monte
01-14-2009, 01:42 PM
My Current set up is an alpine 4 X 250. 2 X 6.5 Polk Momo tower speakers. 4 Kicker 6 X 9's. One 10" JL in a Kenwood Bass tube..

Radio is pointless since it is fried.

brucemac
01-14-2009, 07:19 PM
errrr, guess I misunderstood the question?!

i was just saying if your head unit was clarion and you had older clarion remote(s) that the link i posted above works with them and has an aux input for ipod on the front as well as a cabled option that can be purchased seperately. if you don't have remotes to worry about, my vote is to look at pioneer, preferabbly something in their line with the 24-bit burr-brown dac (digital to analog converter).

D3skier
01-14-2009, 08:51 PM
My current stereo has bitten the dust. Looking for info. Good experiences and or bad so I can buy the right thing.

here's the right thing for ya!!!

2001 X-30

this will solve all your stereo problems....
PM me if you want the info on it

bturner2
01-14-2009, 09:20 PM
I did the full Clarion set up to match what was in the boat from the factory. As BruceMac stated mostly for the remote to still function. Got everything (head unit, 6 channel amp, iPOD adapter, sub and all) from SonicElectronix for a fraction of what Crutchfield charges and everything was factory sealed. Not the extreme set up I've seen guys going with here but for the cash I'm very happy.

east tx skier
01-15-2009, 02:01 AM
I've got a little JVC with an ipod interface in my boat and it does great. Got it for about $129 I think.

But this alpine (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500IDAX100/Alpine-iDA-X100.html?search=Alpine+VENDORID500&searchdisplay=Alpine&tp=5684) is way cool.

There's also a marine version here (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500A9886M/Alpine-CDA-9886M.html?search=Alpine+VENDORID500&searchdisplay=Alpine&tp=1721).

KnoxX2
01-15-2009, 09:47 AM
here's the right thing for ya!!!

2001 X-30

this will solve all your stereo problems....
PM me if you want the info on it

Monte I think you should jump on this.:D

Monte
01-15-2009, 09:52 AM
Thanks fellas. I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I know flipper said to stay away from sony, but this looks like a screaming deal. Everywhere else it is at least 199.00
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/cdx-m50ip.aspx

Opinions?

Monte
01-15-2009, 09:55 AM
Monte I think you should jump on this.:D

I have to admit, that is a sweet boat:cool: Unfortunately, my daughter is still in daycare:o I made a rule for myself, I have to stick with it. In about a year and a half I will get an automatic 450.00 a month pay raise:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
01-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Monte, that X-30 has you written all over it!

wakeX2wake
01-15-2009, 11:51 AM
does anyone here know anything about blue-tooth iPod connections?... i've read up on some and they sound cool but i just wonder if the sound quality is worth anything?

JohnE
01-15-2009, 04:22 PM
does anyone here know anything about blue-tooth iPod connections?... i've read up on some and they sound cool but i just wonder if the sound quality is worth anything?

Do you mean the ones that have a transmitter and receiver? The receiver plugs into the Aux and the transmitter gets plugged into the ipod?

If so I had one. I didn't love it. It worked fine, but everytime I shut the key off, it killed power to the bluetooth receiver. Then it took about 3-5 seconds to come back on when I turned the key back on. I prefer to just plug the ipod into the cable. The benefit of the bluetooth is that the ipod can be anywhere on the boat. Isn't leashed to a cable.

If this isn't what you were asking about, sorry for the post.

flipper
01-15-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks fellas. I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

I know flipper said to stay away from sony, but this looks like a screaming deal. Everywhere else it is at least 199.00
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/cdx-m50ip.aspx

Opinions?

Do they offer cash rewards on that one though?:D

D3skier
01-15-2009, 04:27 PM
I have to admit, that is a sweet boat:cool: Unfortunately, my daughter is still in daycare:o I made a rule for myself, I have to stick with it. In about a year and a half I will get an automatic 450.00 a month pay raise:rolleyes:

just pull her out of daycare and give yourself the pay raise now

wakeX2wake
01-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Do you mean the ones that have a transmitter and receiver? The receiver plugs into the Aux and the transmitter gets plugged into the ipod?

If so I had one. I didn't love it. It worked fine, but everytime I shut the key off, it killed power to the bluetooth receiver. Then it took about 3-5 seconds to come back on when I turned the key back on. I prefer to just plug the ipod into the cable. The benefit of the bluetooth is that the ipod can be anywhere on the boat. Isn't leashed to a cable.

If this isn't what you were asking about, sorry for the post.

i think its pretty much the same thing... i never would have thought about any delays like that... i was mainly concerned w/ the sounds quality...

the systems i've seen have a B/T receiver that connects directly to the head unit... ???... that's what i was hoping to do is lose the tether

also... what if anything does anyone know about connecting the remotes from a clarion head unit to another?... seems like this might be remotely possible but... (i swear... no pun intended)

Sodar
01-15-2009, 04:49 PM
Crutchfield has a sale on the Clarion CMD4 (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CMD4A/Clarion-CMD4A.html?search=clarion+marine&tp=1721) for $149... buy the ipod Interface (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CCAIPOD/Clarion-CCA-iPod-iPod-Interface-Cable.html?search=CCA-iPod&tp=120) for $50 and you are in.

I have this head unit and interface on my boat coupled with 2 full display remotes and really like the set up. Lag time is not existent and the song name and artist comes up on the remote screen. For the price, it seems hard to beat for a waterproof headunit.

barefoot
01-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I installed this Boss Audio system in my boat

http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/html/35131.html

IPod hook ups, remote, 'nuff power to run 4 speakers, and it plays MP3's. the only complaint I have is that if you turn off the boat in the middle of a song, it always goes to the beginning of the song. Kind of annoying if it's a live song that's 20min long...

Monte
01-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Crutchfield has a sale on the Clarion CMD4 (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CMD4A/Clarion-CMD4A.html?search=clarion+marine&tp=1721) for $149... buy the ipod Interface (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_020CCAIPOD/Clarion-CCA-iPod-iPod-Interface-Cable.html?search=CCA-iPod&tp=120) for $50 and you are in.

I have this head unit and interface on my boat coupled with 2 full display remotes and really like the set up. Lag time is not existent and the song name and artist comes up on the remote screen. For the price, it seems hard to beat for a waterproof headunit.

On that unit is the "body" of the head unit the same size as a regular stereo with the face being larger? Or is the entire unit L x W the close to the same size as the face? That looks like a deal if it will fit.. Thanks

Sodar
01-15-2009, 06:13 PM
On that unit is the "body" of the head unit the same size as a regular stereo with the face being larger? Or is the entire unit L x W the close to the same size as the face? That looks like a deal if it will fit.. Thanks

The face is larger, but the body is smaller here are the mounting dimensions.

Dimensions / Source unit:
7-1/8" (Width) ✕ 2" (Height) ✕ 7-5/16" (Depth)

Escutcheon section :
7-7/8" (Width) ✕ 3-5/8" (Height) ✕ 1-7/8"
(Depth)

scott023
01-15-2009, 06:17 PM
Although you do not see a lot of them around, the Bose 131 marine speakers have tremendous sound quality, and are more then reasonably priced. I believe that they come pre-cut to fit flush in the factory locations. They do not make a marine quality sub or amp, so if you want to stick with one brand throughout, this is obviously not the way to go

Sorry, I obviously misunderstood the question...

JohnE
01-16-2009, 09:27 AM
i think its pretty much the same thing... i never would have thought about any delays like that... i was mainly concerned w/ the sounds quality...

the systems i've seen have a B/T receiver that connects directly to the head unit... ???... that's what i was hoping to do is lose the tether

also... what if anything does anyone know about connecting the remotes from a clarion head unit to another?... seems like this might be remotely possible but... (i swear... no pun intended)

The sound quality was great. I couldn't notice any difference between the bluetooth connection and the cable connection.

The issue with the sound cutting out would be alleviated if you just wired it with constant power. Mine was installed by the dealer and he powered it from the key. I just prefer the ipod to be plugged in - at least then I know where it is.

I'm not clear on what you are asking about the remotes...

Monte
01-16-2009, 12:48 PM
The face is larger, but the body is smaller here are the mounting dimensions.

Dimensions / Source unit:
7-1/8" (Width) ✕ 2" (Height) ✕ 7-5/16" (Depth)

Escutcheon section :
7-7/8" (Width) ✕ 3-5/8" (Height) ✕ 1-7/8"
(Depth)

Thanks for the link and info. I Just pulled the trigger on the Clarion you suggested:cool:

cmw
01-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Hate to beat a dead horse, but I want to make sure I understand. The clarion fits into the dash the same as a regular stereo, just the face is a different size. If that is the case, I want one too.:D

Monte
01-16-2009, 02:28 PM
That is how I understand it. When you pull up the link, go to the tab that says hands on research. Toward the bottom of the page you will find the measurements that Sodar posted. It took him posting them for me to find them.

cmw
01-16-2009, 02:32 PM
If that's the case, I might do the same next week. I like the look and the ease of use, just did not know how it fit.
Thanks!