PDA

View Full Version : 2008 X2 JL amp & sub addition cost?

rodecker1978
01-13-2009, 12:13 PM
Hey folks. Any idea what approx costs would be to add an identical JL amp and sub to the stock set-up? Anybody done this? I would not dare do this work myself...

Thanks!

MattsCraft
01-13-2009, 02:59 PM
See boatnguy in the Market-Parts section.

http://www.mastercraft.com/market/showproduct.php?product=2590&cat=13

JL M6600 - 6 channel, 600W amp, this is what comes stock on MC's W/tower, $300, best price I could find on Ebay was $389, Dealer list is well over $500.

duckguy
01-13-2009, 04:15 PM
recreating the stock set up would be silly as a far superior setup could be done for the same or less money.

Ported 12" box + carpet removal and recovered with line-x bedliner = $200

12" JL Sub = 150

JL 250/1 mono amp = $150

amp kit/rca install =$200

600-700 bucks and its done. Much more sound, no cutting of factory fiberglass and it could go with you to the next boat.

Loffgren
01-13-2009, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE=duckguy;567856]recreating the stock set up would be silly as a far superior setup could be done for the same or less money.

Like he said...

rodecker1978
01-13-2009, 07:53 PM
recreating the stock set up would be silly as a far superior setup could be done for the same or less money.

Ported 12" box + carpet removal and recovered with line-x bedliner = $200

12" JL Sub = 150

JL 250/1 mono amp = $150

amp kit/rca install =$200

600-700 bucks and its done. Much more sound, no cutting of factory fiberglass and it could go with you to the next boat.

Awsome. Thanks duckguy. I didn't clearly explain my set-up above, sorry. I already have the amp and sub, along with the 4 tower speakers...all stock JL gear and factory installed. Regardless, I'm guessing the additional equipment you listed would be the best route. Thanks much for the info :D

duckguy
01-13-2009, 08:48 PM
Ah ic you said add identical to it. So are you only aiming to get more bass? by that I mean only bass, no more interior speaker or tower volume?

rodecker1978
01-14-2009, 01:20 AM
Ah ic you said add identical to it. So are you only aiming to get more bass? by that I mean only bass, no more interior speaker or tower volume?

Yep, you got it man. Just looking to add some more bass. The mids/tweeters are plenty. Would you still recommend what you mentioned above?

Thanks!

duckguy
01-14-2009, 01:34 AM
Yeah you bet! The only thing would be not using the the factory one at all just leave it alone in there dead. You may be able to use the stock sub channels you were using for that to run the new setup. It is not that it's bad it is just that an open air sub like the stock one is very limited. My 40th x-star is set up like this-

stock head unit with transom remote
stock JL 6 channel with a channel per interior JL 7.7
Added JL 6 channel to double the power to the interiors
Added a 4 channel JL bridged to run the two pro 80's on the tower
Added a 500/1 mono JL to run 2 12w3 JL's in a ported Line-x covered box under the observers seat

The stereo in mine cranks! The stock sub is just living life in it's little spot disconnected. Box is waterproof with the truck bedliner. Also really I do not see one good reason why a person at this point would choose the stock MC tower speakers. They are very very costly, look a little small on the tower and are basically interior speakers in a can, never meant to project those distances. Wet Sounds are really the standard at this point, and if you have not heard them, do yourself a favor and do.

TallRedRider
01-14-2009, 01:44 AM
Yeah you bet! The only thing would be not using the the factory one at all just leave it alone in there dead. You may be able to use the stock sub channels you were using for that to run the new setup. It is not that it's bad it is just that an open air sub like the stock one is very limited. My 40th x-star is set up like this-

stock head unit with transom remote
stock JL 6 channel with a channel per interior JL 7.7
Added JL 6 channel to double the power to the interiors
Added a 4 channel JL bridged to run the two pro 80's on the tower
Added a 500/1 mono JL to run 2 12w3 JL's in a ported Line-x covered box under the observers seat

The stereo in mine cranks! The stock sub is just living life in it's little spot disconnected. Box is waterproof with the truck bedliner. Also really I do not see one good reason why a person at this point would choose the stock MC tower speakers. They are very very costly, look a little small on the tower and are basically interior speakers in a can, never meant to project those distances. Wet Sounds are really the standard at this point, and if you have not heard them, do yourself a favor and do.

Do you think that having them under the seat does much to muffle the bass sound? I know a fair amount about longer sound waves and such, but I am not sure that translates into the real world...do you think you get better sound when you lift up the seat?

duckguy
01-14-2009, 02:06 AM
You certainly do! I would like to come up with some sort of vent setup for this summer. Seat up or down the bass ripples the water about a foot from the boat. The ladies seem to like sitting in the port sid eof the bow. I don't know why though.

SteveO
01-14-2009, 10:25 AM
I pulled the free air 10 had a grill installed and had a ported box for a jl10w3 built to take its place on the starboard side. The 10 when built in the right enclosure will hit hard, loud and clean. I am driving it with the G1700 and have the remote bass boost knob mounted where the tower light switch would be. It is another alternative to sacrificing a huge space on the port side for a 12 or 12's.

duckguy
01-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I will admit it is a large area but I felt the X had enough room eleswhere and the large amount of bass was something I wanted. Steve-O's setup certainly is a great alternative to the all out I went for.

TallRedRider
01-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Also really I do not see one good reason why a person at this point would choose the stock MC tower speakers. They are very very costly, look a little small on the tower and are basically interior speakers in a can, never meant to project those distances. Wet Sounds are really the standard at this point, and if you have not heard them, do yourself a favor and do.

Now that you have said that...I have an e6450 Jl amp complete with cables and 8 guage wire long enough to wire up an X-45. fuse and all included. Anyone want to buy it? :( I also have been debating selling the tower speakers to replace with an HLCD setup, but you are not helping my resale here...:(