PDA

View Full Version : Hard times for all

thatsmrmastercraft
01-13-2009, 12:32 AM
Mastercraft Reduces Workforce

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eight additional employees were laid off this week, bringing the total amount of employees that have been laid off since the fall to approximately 100.

At the height of demand, Mastercraft reported they were producing 19 boats per day, production is now approximately 10 per day.

Some of the reasons sighted for the drop in demand are the slumping economy and also the inability for dealers to secure commercial credit and financing.

Links to articles below...

http://www.thedailytimes.com/article.../BIZ/301099996

http://www.boating-industry.com/output.cfm?id=1957465

JohnE
01-13-2009, 08:02 AM
Sad, but not surprising.

D3skier
01-13-2009, 08:29 AM
especially the financing part of it.... I need to refinance my boat and can't get it done because all these banks have locked up their loans for refi's I can't find any bank that you can get a refi unless you have impeckable credit scores.

BIGBADBLUE
01-13-2009, 09:23 AM
The economy is really bad right now. A lot of the lack of corporate and personal spending is due to the credit market and the other factor is that everyone is not spending expecting the economy to worsen.

I am glad to have my job and am working like a dog to keep it.

scott023
01-13-2009, 09:25 AM
This has got to be tough on the employees that are still there... I was at the plant in early October and it seemed to me that it was a real family working together in there. Hopefully they can bring these staff members back on board once things straighten out.

WishIWasSkiing
01-13-2009, 09:37 AM
Shame to hear about the layoffs.

On the bright side, this does open up opportunities for folks like myself to jump in & pick up a fine boat at a bargain.

wakeX2wake
01-13-2009, 09:41 AM
that's really unfortunate... but i have to say that w/ all the people who are holding back and not spending money... i'm not one of them... i may end up living in a box w/ destroyed credit when its all said and done but i did my part to keep America afloat

SkiDog
01-13-2009, 10:18 AM
that's really unfortunate... but i have to say that w/ all the people who are holding back and not spending money... i'm not one of them... i may end up living in a box w/ destroyed credit when its all said and done but i did my part to keep America afloat

I'm with you my brutha!

flipper
01-13-2009, 10:40 AM

True dat!!!!

MYMC
01-13-2009, 11:31 AM

Right there with you...kitchen remodel going on right now and just added another new car to the garage (my Christmas present to me)...I hate the situation, but I believe it is a "prisoners dilemma" and I really don't want to play.

VOLFAN
01-13-2009, 12:00 PM
I am like Blue I am thankful to have a job and thankful my wife works her arse off to help support my habits :) We have not held back on much, but have not bit the bullet on the new 09' MC, because of how the real estate market has been. I wish someone would do their part and by my boat so we could go ahead and get that new one we are wanting! :)

There is a lot of factors that has caused the situation we are currently in including the media talking about it and that makes people not want to open their pocket books and wallets. Of course that is just a small part of it. I hope to see things turn around in the near future!

87 TriStar 190
01-13-2009, 07:22 PM
My wallet has been open all year. Doing my part to keep the economy afloat. Three cars and two motorcycles in 08. It'll be hard to continue that in 09, but my sights are set high. Still the same MC. The family loves it and it's in perfect shape, and reliable. A new tow vehicle was one of the three. I got it Sept. 1st and is has about 1K miles. Just use it for towing.

OhioX14
01-13-2009, 07:46 PM
While this downturn has its own unique characteristics it shares one trait with all the others and that is that the sooner everyone quits listening to all the doom and gloom and get on with life the better off we'll all be. There's opportunity out there whether you're looking for orders, a job, you name it. It may not drop into your lap as it often does during good times, but it's out there if you dig and go find it.

Right now is a great time to buy many things. We just recently replaced our Yukon XL and with the Red Tag deals, rebates, and dealer cash, spent less for this one than we did for the '03! That's just one example but the deals are out there regardless of what you're looking for and if more of us would get off our a$$ feed this economy the better off we'll all be!

sully
01-13-2009, 08:59 PM
To all the those employees that got laid off, our thoughts go to you. Stay up beat and good luck! After meeting the folks at the factory I'm sure it was not an easy decision.

Ubugme2
01-13-2009, 09:11 PM
I’m sure it has been said before but, a good friend told something that has stuck in my mind and has been vary helpful to me over the past month or two. “Its easy to be a good leader in good times, but it’s the bad times that bring out the great leaders.” To me it has helped me to have a positive attitude and not complain about my situation here at Cessna Aircraft Company. I love my boat and I prey I will have it when summer rolls around. If anyone has any career offers, I am all ears.

PaulW
01-14-2009, 09:28 AM
It seems that my Woodworking Co is just hanging on by a thread. Nothing but the same as last year is on the horizon, same old stuff, but were upbeat that were still alive in this tough housing market. Even the rich people in the Gold coast of Chicago arenít spending like they use to.
Were still spending modestly, bought two new used cars for the company. One was from Gmac a Repo and one was from a small dealer that let the suv go for 3,500 less than he had into it, ouch,

This was the first year in a long time that I didnít take the motor home and boat to FL to do some boarding around Christmas time. Sure am missing that boarding break in the middle of winter right about now.

Hopefully the low housing interest and the refinancing on mortgages will help things loosen up a little. If you havenít looked at mortgages in awhile, do so; it might save you some money on your payments. Lets see, if you save a couple of hundred on the house payment does that mean that you can use that for the new boat payment??:confused:

ccowell
01-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Remember to keep the money going back to our econ. and stop buying all the stupid china crap that we just end up throwing away anyways

Mastercraft = American Made

CottagerGreg
01-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Toyota= made in usa...
Honda
Nissan
Mercdes
BMW

all have assembly plants and suppliers in USA and Canada supporting 10's thousands jobs and billions into the ecomony.

TX.X-30 fan
01-14-2009, 01:30 PM
Toyota= made in usa...
Honda
Nissan
Mercdes
BMW

all have assembly plants and suppliers in USA and Canada supporting 10's thousands jobs and billions into the ecomony.

Profits do not stay here and where is the level playing field from Japan?? They cannot produce enough rice to feed their country and will not but ours, screw them and their sh!tty goods.

CottagerGreg
01-14-2009, 08:41 PM
Not about profits.. who cares....

It's about putting food on the table and paying mortages for the ten's of thousands of employees who benifit from their business....

Foreign automakers keep building new plants because north americian build a damn good car... some reason the big 3 can't make any money.. maybe they need to restructure and not worry about having 50 levels of management and paying themselves bonuses on flopped car sales.

Don't be arogant and read the facts..... almost any car sold is a good thing...

Beisdes the dealer selling you the car is keeping the profits in YOUR country!

bturner2
01-14-2009, 08:47 PM
I'm with TX. They set import limits on our products and get to import as much of their stuff into our country as they can. Government suport is everyday policy for most of the imports yet we act like it's a crime to give loans to our manufactures. Boys, we've been sold down the river by the criminals in Washington and the sad part is that we were the ones that sent them there.
I'm tired of the Walmart way of business we've gotten ourselves into. I've started buying locally whenever possible to support local business. I like my dealer and hope they're still around next season. It's got to be tough selling high end boats these days.

TOO-TALL
01-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Yeah, I'm thankfull to have a job.
My Company layed off 6 last week.And there will be 40 more come April.I hope I'm not on the chopping block.:confused::mad:
Man, it makes me sick to my stomach to see people getting walked out with a cardboard box full of there belongings.

Bilge Water
01-14-2009, 10:20 PM
This was the first year in a long time that I didnít take the motor home and boat to FL to do some boarding around Christmas time. Sure am missing that boarding break in the middle of winter right about now.

No kidding! Suposed to get to -16 Deg F in the Chicago burbs tomorrow.
Me scared about the economy too. But it did not stop me from buying the new (to us) MC-209 for the family X-Mas present:banana:

Think Spring! There will be growth in the Spring!

PaulW
01-22-2009, 10:01 AM
[QUOTE=Bilge Water;568211]
Me scared about the economy too. But it did not stop me from buying the new (to us) MC-209 for the family X-Mas present:banana:

Hey Bilge Water,
Congratulation on the nice X-Mas present, were are you going to put the new boat this year. Did you get it from Chicago MasterCraft, there a good bunch of guys. If not, be sure to look them up for service and or supplies. Will is the service mechanic over there and he is second to none.

Too-Tall,
Hope all goes well this spring with the job. That's got to be sad watching people leave with there boxes.

Ubugme2
01-28-2009, 07:10 PM
WELL Guys and Gals, Its official I am getting laid off from Cessna In march. I don’t know what will become of my house, boat and truck but I can only hope for a miracle job to open up some where. Sorry to be a downer. If any has a job opening please PM me. Thanks and good day!

Bilge Water
01-29-2009, 02:51 PM
WELL Guys and Gals, Its official I am getting laid off from Cessna In march. I don’t know what will become of my house, boat and truck but I can only hope for a miracle job to open up some where. Sorry to be a downer. If any has a job opening please PM me. Thanks and good day!
Ubugme2,

So sorry to hear that. Cessna makes great planes w/lots of history. I did read that Boeing is going to stop out-sourcing so much stuff. Maybe they will expand the Wichita operations.

Good luck to you!

Bilge Water
01-29-2009, 03:00 PM
[QUOTE=Bilge Water;568211]

Hey Bilge Water,
Congratulation on the nice X-Mas present, were are you going to put the new boat this year. Did you get it from Chicago MasterCraft, there a good bunch of guys. If not, be sure to look them up for service and or supplies. Will is the service mechanic over there and he is second to none.

Too-Tall,
Hope all goes well this spring with the job. That's got to be sad watching people leave with there boxes.
PaulW
Thanks. We visited the guys at Chicago MC but did not buy it there. Next summer it will go up to northern Wisconsin, God's country as far as I'm concerned.

wakeX2wake
01-29-2009, 03:00 PM
sorry to hear that ubugme2... i wish i had some insight and could help b/c i couldn't imagine right now what i'd do in your situation... ive always heard that good people land on their feet... good luck sir

Ubugme2
01-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks Guys! I do have some back up plans now that I spent last night online looking for jobs. I think its back to landscaping for me, I think that jobs that require physical labor will always be there to back you up. So that’s what I will do to stay on the water. Thanks for the support and I will be out the door on March 31. Life goes on.

PaulW
01-29-2009, 04:53 PM
WELL Guys and Gals, Its official I am getting laid off from Cessna In march. I donít know what will become of my house, boat and truck but I can only hope for a miracle job to open up some where. Sorry to be a downer. If any has a job opening please PM me. Thanks and good day!

Sorry to hear about your job loss. Hopefully the landscaping thing will work out for you and that you'll get to stay on the water. Good Luck
Paul

PaulW
01-29-2009, 04:57 PM
[QUOTE=PaulW;569497]
PaulW
Thanks. We visited the guys at Chicago MC but did not buy it there. Next summer it will go up to northern Wisconsin, God's country as far as I'm concerned.

That sounds like a good time up in Norther WI. If you want to get out on the Fox early in spring, when its warmer than up North, look me up. I'm familiar with the lower river and you can get some good water at times. I keep the X-Star docked over there in Port Barrington.