PDA

View Full Version : Wakeboard Question

ORX-1
01-12-2009, 04:22 PM
I know this may not be the best place to post this question but I just picked up a new board (CWB Transcend) and when I tried mounting my bindings and the screw won’t go into the hole that I want it too. It fits in all others, but I think the hole I am trying is messed up. I can only get a half turn on it. My thought is to get a “tap” and clean it up, but want to make sure that won’t ruin the board. Has anyone experienced this or have any suggestions?

Thanks!

wakeX2wake
01-12-2009, 04:25 PM
i'd have to say unless you're gonna be on it in the next few days i'd send it back and have them make it right... good feedback for the company and you get another new board... i'm sure you could tap it but if anything messes up its kind of on you and they might tell you tough luck... those screw holes are set in there very well but i'd be kind of affraid of stripping one or working it loose while tapping

ORX-1
01-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Another idea is a smaller screw. I did try that and got a little deeper, I may got to Home Depot and see if I can pick up a smaller screw tonight.

JohnE
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM
I assume the threads are stainless, not sure how well a tap works on stainless.

But if it's just a burr, the tap will probably work.

russlars
01-12-2009, 04:44 PM
I would definitely have them give you another board. Coincidentally, I just purchased 2 factory reject Ronix boards for a bench and one of them had a cross threaded screw in one of the holes.

sand2snow22
01-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Greg, I have that board and love it. I'm going to check out Slingshot this year, tho. Hopefully you'll get your screwy situation figured out soon!

ORX-1
01-12-2009, 10:36 PM
So I went to Lowes and got a tap and in 2 min got it all taken care of. Problem solved!

2000XPSD
01-12-2009, 10:41 PM
a tap will work...just make sure you use a bottoming tap. i've had the same thing happen...usually it's just resin or clear in there. 1/4"-20 thread if i remember right
check out http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search "taps"

ORX-1
01-13-2009, 10:56 AM
a tap will work...just make sure you use a bottoming tap. i've had the same thing happen...usually it's just resin or clear in there. 1/4"-20 thread if i remember right
check out http://www.mcmaster.com/ and search "taps"

Good memory, it is a 1/4'-20. I did maybe ten turns but could have kept going but didn't want to go too far. That screw isn't going anywhere now.

ORX-1
01-13-2009, 10:59 AM
Greg, I have that board and love it. I'm going to check out Slingshot this year, tho. Hopefully you'll get your screwy situation figured out soon!

I haven't gotten to ride it yet, but I really want too. I went with the Platinum edition and it feels so light. I just hope it doesn't break in half. I hear that happens with the Platinum a lot.

wakeX2wake
01-13-2009, 10:59 AM
glad that worked out for you... good news

sand2snow22
01-13-2009, 11:01 AM
I haven't gotten to ride it yet, but I really want too. I went with the Platinum edition and it feels so light. I just hope it doesn't break in half. I hear that happens with the Platinum a lot.

I have the platinum. Mine hasn't broken, yet. Knock on wood.

2000XPSD
01-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Good memory, it is a 1/4'-20. I did maybe ten turns but could have kept going but didn't want to go too far. That screw isn't going anywhere now.

yeah that's the idea behind using a bottoming tap...those aren't blind inserts so it's easy to blow right thru the bottom of the board if you're not careful. But it looks like you were careful and good to go now. enjoy the board...hope you like a "soft" feel...likes to launch off an edge too