PDA

View Full Version : Two or FOUR transom lights??

Justjoe
01-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Ok, so here's my dilema. I put transom lights on the boat after the season, and they look cool out of the water (but because its WINTER I don't know what they look like IN the water). I have two Abyss 600's on right now, but I have two MORE in boxes. My father in law was, originally, going to put the other two onto his cruiser, but, now seems to be hedging the whole drilling thing! I could just put the other two on. I don't want to be "THAT" guy, but the amount of lighting in this boat IS getting REDICULOUS. Do it?? or no?

KnoxX2
01-11-2009, 11:04 PM
No don't do it................

Just send them to me :)

TallRedRider
01-12-2009, 01:14 AM
No, send them to me!

Justjoe
01-12-2009, 05:24 AM
This is the current set up.

bturner2
01-12-2009, 08:32 AM
Looks great now. I vote for "Don't do it". Don't submit to being the cheese master of the lake. You know, the guy that thinks if someone is cool with a single set then I need five sets to be the coolest. I would also like to get in line for "send the extra's to me"!

TMCNo1
01-12-2009, 08:41 AM
Go ahead and add as many as the fiberglass will support! Give the fish a sunburn!

JohnE
01-12-2009, 08:56 AM
I say don't do it. I'll be it won't be any brighter. At least not enough difference to matter.

SkiDog
01-12-2009, 09:25 AM
Ok, so here's my dilema. I put transom lights on the boat after the season, and they look cool out of the water (but because its WINTER I don't know what they look like IN the water). I have two Abyss 600's on right now, but I have two MORE in boxes. My father in law was, originally, going to put the other two onto his cruiser, but, now seems to be hedging the whole drilling thing! I could just put the other two on. I don't want to be "THAT" guy, but the amount of lighting in this boat IS getting REDICULOUS. Do it?? or no?

I'll but em if they are the blue ones. PM @ ya.

wakeX2wake
01-12-2009, 09:25 AM
i would hold on and put it in your normal body of water and test it... i'm thinking about doing the same thing... i'm gonna get mine in some cleaner water before i pull the trigger on the other two... ps make sure you get the boat on plane when you're scoping out the lights... mine didn't shine very brightly when just sitting but when i got the boat up and moving it lit up the wake like a big blue christmas tree... but the water i was in is known in this area as being some pretty dang gross water

wakeX2wake
01-12-2009, 09:27 AM
i would hold on and put it in your normal body of water and test it... i'm thinking about doing the same thing... i'm gonna get mine in some cleaner water before i pull the trigger on the other two... ps make sure you get the boat on plane when you're scoping out the lights... mine didn't shine very brightly when just sitting but when i got the boat up and moving it lit up the wake like a big blue christmas tree... but the water i was in is known in this area as being some pretty dang gross water... but i did mount mine a little higher than you did so who knows...

VOLFAN
01-12-2009, 09:44 AM
From what I have seen two is plenty. Four of them would be overkill.

Send them to knox or ski dog

dog if you get them make sure they are level when you put them in!

Sodar
01-12-2009, 09:51 AM
I am not jonesing for your extra set, so I say go for 2 sets of them. Over the summer, I had a little debacle with my underwater lights and the drilling templates. Long story short, I drilled the holes for the S800's and had the S600's. Anyways, with a week long vacation looming and holes in my boat, Abysslite sent me the S800's to fill the holes until I had time to repair them and install the S600's.

The brighter light of the S800's was awesome! I ended up having the holes filled and putting the set of S600's into the boat, but the extra light was great and noticable. If you have the means, I highly recommend you go for the extra lights, especially if you water is a bit murky!

skeeler
01-12-2009, 09:52 AM
This is the current set up.
Nice! I knew that X-2 would go to a good home!!!

JohnE
01-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Sodar, why didn't you just keep the larger lights? Why would you go through the work to patch the holes?

Sodar
01-12-2009, 10:54 AM
Sodar, why didn't you just keep the larger lights? Why would you go through the work to patch the holes?

The S800's only come with a bronze housing... I wanted the stainless steel housing so it matched the exhaust tips and eventually my stainless steel running gear.

JohnE
01-12-2009, 11:18 AM
Makes sense, Sodar. What did you do, patch the holes completely and then redrill? Did you do the repair yourself?

Sodar
01-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Makes sense, Sodar. What did you do, patch the holes completely and then redrill? Did you do the repair yourself?

No, I did not do the repair. The repair/reinstall was done on Abysslite's dime at one of the best fiberglass repair shops on the west coast. They ground each hole out from either side, filled the holes with filler from each side, sanded the repair and surrounding areas and sprayed white gel on the outside and black gel in the bilge. They then drilled the holes for the S600's and installed them with some 3M 4200. The repair was COSTLY, but it is impeccable.

SkiDog
01-12-2009, 11:27 AM

Listen here smarta$$, i don't need no lip from yer a$$! I'll send Harold to take care of you!

JohnE
01-12-2009, 11:31 AM
The repair/reinstall was done on Abysslite's dime at one of the best fiberglass repair shops on the west coast.

Wow, very impressive that they did that. Not sure if you posted that in that thread, but if so I don't remember reading it. Must be a first class company.

Sodar
01-12-2009, 11:35 AM
Wow, very impressive that they did that. Not sure if you posted that in that thread, but if so I don't remember reading it. Must be a first class company.

Something like that... rolleyes

trickskier
01-12-2009, 12:12 PM

Listen here smarta$$, i don't need no lip from yer a$$! I'll send Harold to take care of you!

Ya know, you would think a contractor would have a level.................

VOLFAN
01-12-2009, 12:19 PM

I bet someone stole it out of his tool box!

wakeX2wake
01-12-2009, 12:27 PM
an applicable quote from a buddy of mine while we were working on the deck at his lake house a couple of weekends ago...

"level in this case is a matter of perspective... if by level w/ the geometric center of the Earth... then yes... if by level w/ the rest of the deck... then no"

Witness140
01-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Here's one I found in another thread that has 4 lights.

TMCNo1
01-14-2009, 01:20 PM

The boss has called,

Loffgren
01-14-2009, 03:19 PM
DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looks very clean nice job

pagelk
01-14-2009, 04:02 PM
You could always just upgrade to the S800's and sell both sets of S600's to make up the difference...I think the two look a little more pleasing to the eye out of the water compared to the four.

Justjoe
01-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Don't they just come in brass color?? I have not had the boat in the water yet with the 600's on it, and (thanks to the zebra mussel) our water is pretty clean. Looks like Ill play with two at least until I get it in the water..

Next jobs: Shower, Seat heaters for the driver and observer seats.

Sodar
01-14-2009, 10:56 PM
Don't they just come in brass color?? I have not had the boat in the water yet with the 600's on it, and (thanks to the zebra mussel) our water is pretty clean. Looks like Ill play with two at least until I get it in the water..

Next jobs: Shower, Seat heaters for the driver and observer seats.

Yes .

Gonzo
01-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Why not put them in, and put them on a seprate or toggle switch, so u can run 2 or 4 depending on the mood... eh I mean situation

:banana::banana::woohoo::woohoo:

Gonzo
01-14-2009, 11:24 PM

O they have them, they put them in the truck window so buyers see them when they are giving out quotes ;)