PDA

View Full Version : Issues with my Canon Camera

CameronCarey
01-09-2009, 10:43 PM
so my cannon Elph 1000SD which is just over a year old died......without warning.........while sitting on my desk in a harsh 70 degree air conditioned environment...

I contacted cannon who told me that it was beyond the factory warranty
The service and repair of the item is a standard charge was 109.00 usd.

The rep also indicated that it was typical for that camera

after the conversation with the support Representative, I decided to search the internet to see if anyone else had had this problem .........and written about it.........not surprisingly I found dozens of postings with the exact same problem with the same camera

Everyone has the benefit of doing there own research and to make there own purchasing decisions but my personal recommendations are that...........Cannon Branded compact digital cameras appear prone to failure and the company does not stand behind there product!

Anybody got a good recommendation for a digital camera?

bigmac
01-10-2009, 09:24 AM

Sorry about your bad luck. I have a Canon Elph SD630 that I've been using for several years under some really harsh conditions and it still works fine. My daughter's old Elph SD200 finally gave it up this year after about 5 years so I got her an SD1000 to replace it. I hope she has better luck than you did.

As to other brands, they're about a horse apiece. Olympus, Nikon, Fuji, Canon are usually considered to be at the top of the heap.

My mistake: I bought her an SD 790 IS. It works well for her. I'm skeptical about the internal stabilization - I think that's mostly a marketing gimmick without much real-world usefulness.

TMCNo1
01-10-2009, 09:39 AM
so my cannon Elph 1000SD which is just over a year old died......without warning.........while sitting on my desk in a harsh 70 degree air conditioned environment...

I contacted cannon who told me that it was beyond the factory warranty
The service and repair of the item is a standard charge was 109.00 usd.

The rep also indicated that it was typical for that camera

after the conversation with the support Representative, I decided to search the internet to see if anyone else had had this problem .........and written about it.........not surprisingly I found dozens of postings with the exact same problem with the same camera

Everyone has the benefit of doing there own research and to make there own purchasing decisions but my personal recommendations are that...........Cannon Branded compact digital cameras appear prone to failure and the company does not stand behind there product!

Did they now give you the option to upgrade?
I walked into the water @ CSM '08 with my Canon Elph SD600 in my pants pocket and it quit working. I called Canon to check on getting it repaired and it was $109, but they gave me the option of upgrading to the Canon Elph SD750 for $110, full warranty and free shipping. They wanted only the camera body back, no card, battery, strap, cables or case. Now I've got 2 sets of acessories, cause the SD750 came it all the accessories. I haven't looked back! It's twice the camera as the SD600!

dummy
01-10-2009, 09:49 AM
I've had a Canon SD750 for a couple years now with no issues. I also shoot professionally with a Canon G3, EOS D10, and EOS D20. The G3 has been exposed to any and all sorts of bad weather and has tens of thousands of frames through it. The only time I've had to get it serviced is the 3 or 4 times I've dropped it and screwed up the lens extender gear setup. While they're not as foolproof and rugged as my Nikon F4s rigs, and while I still consider myself a Nikon guy, I certainly wouldn't call Canon junk.

However, thanks for the heads-up on the SD1000. I won't argue your problem. If you're looking for a rugged digital that takes good photos and videos, check out the Olympus 850SW. They're weatherproof to below freezing, waterproof up to 10 feet deep, and shockproof up to a 5-foot drop.

SkiDog
01-10-2009, 10:12 AM
Cannon is a stand up company in my book! I love my Digital SLR!

JimN
01-10-2009, 11:00 AM
Go higher up the food chain in their customer service department, document all of the negative online connects that have any credibility (just being online means nothing) and if you have a way to get someone at CANON (not CANNON) to make these same statements in an e-mail, do it. Verbal comments are useless in this kind of conflict. Also, stay calm. Yelling and screaming will get you nowhere, fast.

bigmac
01-10-2009, 11:34 AM
Canon, on the whole, is likely no better or worse than any other camera company from a service, warranty, or customer support standpoint. I know that thousands of users of the 1DMkIII dSLR were most definitely not impressed with their stiffarm handling of that camera's oft-reported autofocus problems.

VOLFAN
01-10-2009, 12:41 PM
I have the canon Rebel Xsi and love it!

3event
01-10-2009, 03:16 PM
Bigmac, we have a few year old SD700IS Elph, and I was skeptical about the IS as well, but it has been fantastic. A few times when I didnt want to lug the SLR, I have done some nite shooting with it in manual mode, and if I take a bunch of shots I get some really nice ones. Sometimes setting it on a handrail or leaning up against a building and doing a long exposure shot. So I would say now I'm a fan.

We bought my Mom an A490 (or maybe 590, I forget), also with that IS, and it takes fantastic shots for someone who leaves it on full auto permanently.

my $0.02.

The below shot is from Zurich, holding the SD700IS steady on a handrail

corey
01-10-2009, 04:40 PM
Sorry to hear about that but I would agree with giving them another call. Warranty and upgrades can be pretty subjective to who picks up the phone. I know when I needed to replace a couple of phones I got very different treatment on the phone as compared to when I went to the store. Unfortunitally the in store customer service was (and is) terrible, when I call in I am taken care of no questions asked.

Thus far only good luck with Canon, we have a film SLR and an older Powershot.

My wife got a Fuji Finepix point and shoot for Christmas last year, I was pretty impressed with the photos. It's smaller than our Powershot so we've ended up using it quite a bit, might be worth checking out if nothing pans out with your Canon.

bigmac
01-10-2009, 05:08 PM
Bigmac, we have a few year old SD700IS Elph, and I was skeptical about the IS as well, but it has been fantastic. A few times when I didnt want to lug the SLR, I have done some nite shooting with it in manual mode, and if I take a bunch of shots I get some really nice ones. Sometimes setting it on a handrail or leaning up against a building and doing a long exposure shot. So I would say now I'm a fan.

We bought my Mom an A490 (or maybe 590, I forget), also with that IS, and it takes fantastic shots for someone who leaves it on full auto permanently.

my $0.02.

The below shot is from Zurich, holding the SD700IS steady on a handrail

Stabilization will give about 2 stops additional EV, usually meaning one could hand hold the camera at slower shutter speeds, meaning less blurring due to camera shake in low light.

I'm spoiled by my dSLR, which will do ISO 6400 with negligible noise, so I rarely use stabilization on my lenses that have it. Stabilization doesn't help at all with subject blur though (as your image shows), which is why I don't think such stabilization is that big a deal, at least for the shooting I do. And if you use a tripod or something else solid to support the camera, it doesn't help at all.

CameronCarey
01-10-2009, 05:31 PM
Did they now give you the option to upgrade?
I walked into the water @ CSM '08 with my Canon Elph SD600 in my pants pocket and it quit working. I called Canon to check on getting it repaired and it was $109, but they gave me the option of upgrading to the Canon Elph SD750 for $110, full warranty and free shipping. They wanted only the camera body back, no card, battery, strap, cables or case. Now I've got 2 sets of acessories, cause the SD750 came it all the accessories. I haven't looked back! It's twice the camera as the SD600!

No they did not give me the option to upgrade (i asked) and i dont think i'm motivated to spend anymore with that company. This is the first time ive ever had a company with an apparent defect give me that type of service

CameronCarey
01-10-2009, 05:38 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I will try to call back and get a different rep and see if i can get a better answer.........i should clarify i never had any problems with the quality of picture the camera takes nor would i ever yell at some poor rep whos got to listen to everyones problems all day. ..........i am just a bit miffed about what was a fairly expensive compact camera dying without cause less than two years old....It's not my job to document every failure there product has experienced by every user online so i will skip that suggestion.......and but i will give them a second opportunity to fix the problem for a reasonable cost if any....otherwise...i will consider other options.

TMCNo1
01-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I talked to our daughter this afternoon and they have had a small problem with their Canon SD450 that is 3 years old. I told her to call and ask to them about repair costs and it was $109 and to ask about the upgrade option. They did just that this afternoon and upgraded to the SD750 like we did, for $110 just like we did. It could just be the person you talked to or maybe even something you may have said in anger as expressed here.If ypu feel your being treated poorly, ask to speak to a supervisor. Give them a chance to work with you. BTW, they even send you a box and shipping label for you to send the old camera body back in and the shipping is on Canon.

mpm32
01-12-2009, 01:49 PM
How did it die? If you're getting a Memory Card Error. There is something you can do to fix it. It may even fix other issues.

Search google for cannon elph fixes.

I tried this on mine and it fixed it. You need to take it apart and and remove and reinstall the internal battery. It wasn't hard and I didn't need to trash the camera.

east tx skier
01-12-2009, 03:49 PM
Sorry about your bad luck. I have a Canon Elph SD630 that I've been using for several years under some really harsh conditions and it still works fine. My daughter's old Elph SD200 finally gave it up this year after about 5 years so I got her an SD1000 to replace it. I hope she has better luck than you did.

As to other brands, they're about a horse apiece. Olympus, Nikon, Fuji, Canon are usually considered to be at the top of the heap.

My mistake: I bought her an SD 790 IS. It works well for her. I'm skeptical about the internal stabilization - I think that's mostly a marketing gimmick without much real-world usefulness.

I've got an S-400 that is going on 6 years. I've had two problems with it, both out of warranty. Cannon has fixed it both times for free and they paid for shipping.

JimN
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
I should clarify i never had any problems with the quality of picture. I am just a bit miffed about what was a fairly expensive compact camera dying without cause less than two years old....It's not my job to document every failure there product has experienced by every user online so i will skip that suggestion.......and but i will give them a second opportunity to fix the problem for a reasonable cost if any....otherwise...i will consider other options.

Tell them that when you call. They aren't paid to make people buy other brands, so it's worth a shot.

Hollywood
01-12-2009, 04:10 PM
It's not his job to call Canon.

JimN
01-12-2009, 04:23 PM
Without knowing if he gave them his contact info, how would they know he has a problem with the camera if he doesn't call? Whose job is it? It's out of warranty and the way most companies are set up now, repairs just aren't made on many items. Even TVs aren't made to be serviced anymore. At the most, a module is replaced and if that doesn't fix it, the unit is replaced entirely, if it's under warranty.

bigmac
01-12-2009, 04:26 PM
It's not his job to call Canon.Sure it is. At least, it is if he wants his out-of-warranty camera repaired. Especially if he wants them to fix it for free.

TMCNo1
01-12-2009, 04:34 PM
Sure it is. At least, it is if he wants his out-of-warranty camera repaired. Especially if he wants them to fix it for free.

No man, I told my garbageman and he called Canon!

Hollywood
01-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Damnit, lighten up guys. It was a sarcastic dig on Carey!

TMCNo1
01-12-2009, 04:42 PM

Sorry, http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_11_6.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001_ZSfox000%283%29)just havin' fun!

bigmac
01-12-2009, 05:31 PM

Damn. The lack of smilies is definitely impairing our communication effectiveness around here.

M-Funf
01-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Damn. The lack of smilies is definitely impairing our communication effectiveness around here.

Now where's that "werd" smiley right about now????

Hi Bigmac!

flipper
01-12-2009, 05:58 PM
This?

JimN
01-12-2009, 06:00 PM

I could tell by the sound of your voice. :uglyhamme

M-Funf
01-12-2009, 06:00 PM
This?

Yup, thanks. .

Hollywood
01-12-2009, 06:19 PM

My bad, I usually just quick reply and don't fuss around with any of the forum "bling".

bigmac
01-12-2009, 07:27 PM
My bad, I usually just quick reply and don't fuss around with any of the forum "bling".

Just as well. We no longer have smilies. Except for Harold, naturally.

TMCNo1
01-12-2009, 08:39 PM
Just as well. We no longer have smilies. Except for Harold, naturally.

Just how many smiles do you need, here are a few that MC must have chose their/ours from, http://www.gottadeal.com/forums/misc.php?do=showsmilies
and here, www.SmileyCentral.com