PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to wakesurf w/o ballasts?

azthunder
01-09-2009, 11:44 AM
Was catching an interest in wakesurfing, but I have no ballasts in my boat, nor do I want any (I like the storage space for other things). I'm sure the more friends that go with the better, but is it possible w/o the ballasts? I have a Maristar 225VRS. It does seem to throw a decent sized wake, but I've never wakesurfed before, soooo...? If my weight has anything to do with it, I'm only about 135 lbs.

wakeX2wake
01-09-2009, 11:57 AM
unless you have ballast or a lot of people... it'll be about as much fun as making out w/ yourself

i found a guy w/ an ebay store who had new factory blem bags for cheap... pm if youre interested... i got a x2 integrated bow sac for $120 which is normally a $250 bag

mccobmd
01-09-2009, 12:02 PM
If you get fat sac's you won't use up storage except when you have the sac full, you could do it for the investment of a Tsunami pump, fat sac and tube sac for ski locker, Inland surfer blue lake or red woody would have you good to go for free surfing. Total including surfboard about 600-700 dollars if you shop well.

6ballsisall
01-09-2009, 12:11 PM
Was catching an interest in wakesurfing, but I have no ballasts in my boat, nor do I want any (I like the storage space for other things). I'm sure the more friends that go with the better, but is it possible w/o the ballasts? I have a Maristar 225VRS. It does seem to throw a decent sized wake, but I've never wakesurfed before, soooo...? If my weight has anything to do with it, I'm only about 135 lbs.

Why not load up some friends and give it a try?

Maristar210
01-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Go down to the local buffet. Purchase some from free meal vouchers and then offer them to some of the morbidly obese in attendance. Get four hugeees in the boat and you'll be surfing alright.

My name is Steve and I approve this mesasage

sand2snow22
01-09-2009, 03:33 PM
With a boat that big, a few peeps, maybe a couple of small people in the storage :), and your weight, you should be able to do it no problem, with a good board.....

wakeX2wake
01-09-2009, 03:48 PM
With a boat that big, a few peeps, maybe a couple of small people in the storage :), and your weight, you should be able to do it no problem, with a good board.....

i've always heard the bigger the boat the more weight you'll need... but i hear a lot of things when i'm drinking too...

sand2snow22
01-10-2009, 06:50 PM
i've always heard the bigger the boat the more weight you'll need... but i hear a lot of things when i'm drinking too...

I've also heard a guy weighing 135 lbs can surf behind anything ;)

russlars
01-11-2009, 01:31 AM
I can't tell you specifically about your boat, but we surf behind our DD 205 without ballast tanks. We like to put about 2 or 3 people on the back seat and one extra guy sitting on the trunk facing to the rear with his feet on the platform on the side the rider wants to surf on. This works out good because he catches or tosses the rope to the rider if needed. We usually go about 8-10 mph and it usually requires the driver to stand since there is a lot of bow rise at that speed and weighted in this manner. My friend has a DD Malibu (poor guy!) He has tried ballast tanks and our method of people ballast and nothing works with his boat. What have you got to lose? Give it a try.

azthunder
01-11-2009, 11:40 PM
Sounds like I'll just have to give it a try and see what happens. If I get really into it, I guess I'll cave and get the bags. Not sure how I'm even gonna like it, but it looks like a lot of fun! Maybe since I'm only 135lbs, I can try and body surf and start something new!! HAHA!

sand2snow22
01-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Maybe since I'm only 135lbs, I can try and body surf and start something new!! HAHA!

You are kidding, but to make sure I would NOT try to body surf for long periods of time. You are too close to the exhaust fumes!

azthunder
01-16-2009, 07:01 PM
You are kidding, but to make sure I would NOT try to body surf for long periods of time. You are too close to the exhaust fumes!

Thanks for looking out ;)

denverd1
02-03-2009, 06:21 PM
i'd rather have a few bags than 4 fat people, or 6 reg ppl. fat sacs don't drink your beer or get cheetos on your interior, they don't use much gas (more than normal, but at least the fat sac won't get a turn) and you can drop them off (drain) at the end of the surf sesh. Sacs ain't all bad.

flipper
02-03-2009, 06:29 PM
i'd rather have a few bags than 4 fat people, or 6 reg ppl. fat sacs don't drink your beer or get cheetos on your interior, they don't use much gas (more than normal, but at least the fat sac won't get a turn) and you can drop them off (drain) at the end of the surf sesh. Sacs ain't all bad.

This has a lot of truth to it. Feeding the fattys may be more expensive than buying some sacs.

russlars
02-03-2009, 06:44 PM
There is a lot of truth to that! However, we tend to switch our watersports around a lot and have been known to slalom, board, surf and tube all within an hour or two. If you have the people around already it is pretty easy to drop off and pick up ballast(people) as needed. Whereas, draining and filling sacks takes awhile and limits what we can do with the boat while they are in there. Just another perspective and my :twocents: