PDA

View Full Version : Tamper Proof Screws

MattsCraft
01-08-2009, 04:20 PM
I think I mentioned in a past thread about my amp being ripped off, I have my new one thanks to Eric aka BoatnguyNE. I now have my alarm installed and security cameras up etc. But as an extra deterrent, I was thinking of mounting the amps with screws, something like these. Problem is, most of the sites I have found want you to buy 1000 or more, I need 8, ugh.

Any ideas on where these could be found locally, auto parts, hardware store??? Obviously, I would need the tool also.

http://www.oemhardware.ca/tamperproof.htm?gclid=CJe1u_ff_5cCFSCcnAodHBBDDA

Maristar210
01-08-2009, 04:21 PM
I think I mentioned in a past thread about my amp being ripped off, I have my new one thanks to Eric aka BoatnguyNE. I now have my alarm installed and security cameras up etc. But as an extra deterrent, I was thinking of mounting the amps with screws, something like these. Problem is, most of the sites I have found want you to buy 1000 or more, I need 8, ugh.

Any ideas on where these could be found locally, auto parts, hardware store??? Obviously, I would need the tool also.

http://www.oemhardware.ca/tamperproof.htm?gclid=CJe1u_ff_5cCFSCcnAodHBBDDA

Fastenal.com
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N=999602318&Nty=0

Andyg
01-08-2009, 04:30 PM
I personally wouldn't use something like this on my stereo equipment as I don't think it would be a deterent for a thief. In fact I think the thief will most likely get your amp still, but in the process do a lot more damage to your boat.

Andyg

flipper
01-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I personally wouldn't use something like this on my stereo equipment as I don't think it would be a deterent for a thief. In fact I think the thief will most likely get your amp still, but in the process do a lot more damage to your boat.

Andyg

I had the same thought. If they want it, they are going to get it. They will not care what they have to tear up to get what they want

MattsCraft
01-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Maristar210 - :toast::banana::headbang::dance:

Perfect, and they have a store in Cincinnati, just perfect, Thanks!

You know, I always, well most always get great info here!!!

MattsCraft
01-08-2009, 04:55 PM

Andyg

I had the same thought. If they want it, they are going to get it. They will not care what they have to tear up to get what they want

Yup, had the same thought, go back and forth on it, my thinking was this, with the alarm blasting them, they would quickly find out they did not have the correct tool and I now have them on candid camera, and really without that the only thing that would work is a crow bar, which you would have to rip the side of the fiberglass wall out, :rolleyes:hmmm maybe not a good idea. Just trying to eliminate the easy slash and dash I guess.

JimN
01-08-2009, 05:53 PM
As long as there's an edge that can be pried up, it can be stolen or badly damaged. Hiding it better is one option, or building an enclosure that's harder to break into is another. If you use a security fastener, make it something that has a nut on the back side, accessible only by a second person or by knowing exactly how to remove it.

2000XPSD
01-08-2009, 08:12 PM
mcmaster.com for screws will work too

Maristar210
01-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Maristar210 - :toast::banana::headbang::dance:

Perfect, and they have a store in Cincinnati, just perfect, Thanks!

You know, I always, well most always get great info here!!!

yer welkom

Riddler
01-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Ya know, in a pinch I have made my own tamper proof screws by lightly drilling the head with a drill bit. Just remove enough material so the phillips bit can't grab hold any more. My feeling was if it slowed them down enough they would move on...
If I ever needed to remove that component again I would just finish drilling the head off the screw...

HEY, wait a minute! That would be a quick way of removing any tamper proof screw wouldn't it???

Maybe I missed my calling as a thief!

DryHop
01-08-2009, 11:42 PM
I'd considered filling critical screw heads with a little clear silicone sealant. Seems that would slow someone down, and it could be cut out with knife later. I have not tried this yet... and Andyg has a good point... trying to slow down a thief may force them to do more damage.