PDA

View Full Version : Advice on 85 Stars and Stripes

wilbucd
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Hey Folks,
I'm going to look at an 85 Stars and Stripes this weekend. It has a Ford 351, new upolstery, 1100 hours and asking $4000. What is the biggest thing to watch out for on this boat?
Thanks,

JMann
01-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Do you have a link with any pictures? There are some very keen eye's here that will help point stuff out for you to look more closely at just from the pics.

85S&S_Keuka
01-08-2009, 01:19 PM
For certain, look at how sturdy the swim platform bolts are. Most boats of this vintage have a problem with the top lag bolts becoming loose and pulling out. Shouldn't be a show stopper, just something that you will want to get fixed that may affect the price. There are a few threads on this forum that tell how to fix this problem.

Sounds like a reasonable price if it runs well. Is it a Power Slot?

Monte
01-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Check the floor for soft spots in the floor. Ask about use in saltwater. Tug the pylon back and fourth to make sure it is not loose. Preferably take it out on a test run, but at least hook it up to a fake a lake and listen to it run. Look for black smoke when you do so (not too good). A little white smoke at first fire is OK. Turn the steering wheel back and fourth, it should be easy to turn back and forth. I'm sure someone else will come along shortly with more advice.

Speaking from experience. If you do buy it, check the tires for dry rot. The worst thing in the world is a blowout on your trailer while going down the interstate. I personnally have to thank the good lord for tandem axle trailers.

barefoot
01-08-2009, 02:08 PM
Eastie wrote a checklist for buying a used boat. I found it useful when I bought mine. The only other suggestion I have would be to have a Pre-Purchase Inspection done on the boat. With a boat that age, you're going to have a compression loss on the engine. The PPI should tell you what compression the motor is at and what the general range should be.

I have an '83 and haven't had any problems with it. Fires up every time I hit the key! It's good for me because it keeps me on the water!

wilbucd
01-08-2009, 03:04 PM
That is a good checklist. So the 85 S&S should not have wood stringers???? My biggest concern is wood rot. I can handle all of the engine issues but am not willing to replace stringers and decking. I will have pics once I get to see it.

damaged442
01-08-2009, 03:20 PM
No wood stringers in 85. Hopefully, Harold will be along shortly with the advertisement pic from 83! I agree with getting some pics and posting them here.

wilbucd
01-08-2009, 03:32 PM
Somebody explain the power slot to me. Is that the 1.5 to 1 transmission as opposed to the standard 1 to 1?

barefoot
01-08-2009, 03:46 PM
'85 does not have wooden stringers. sometime in '83 they made the switch. there is a thread somewhere around here that has pics of what one looks like with wooden stringers and without. I'll see if I can find it and post the pics...

Jim@BAWS
01-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Some pretty basic stuff...First of all $4000 is a Good deal. Just so you know that.

Compression Approx 110-125 per cylider. It should not vary more than 10%
The wood is behind the combing pads and under the the center back behind the motor box.
You cannot make much of a case if the owner has some MC Knowledge...like I said
$4000 is a deal...Bad economy or not.
Are all the guages operational and original?

By the way where is the boat? Any links or photos?

Floor soft anywhere? Sometimes on occasion they delaminate on the sides.
A good overall check over visual is important

Powerslot 1.5-1.0= 14 x 18 prop
Reg 1.0-1.0 13 x 13 prop

I see you are in the SE. If you need anything MC wise let me know. I have ALL the
graphics avail including the YING TANG stickers, stars and letters

Jim@BAWS

barefoot
01-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Somebody explain the power slot to me. Is that the 1.5 to 1 transmission as opposed to the standard 1 to 1?

More pulling power out of the hole!

Ubugme2
01-08-2009, 09:22 PM
I purchased an 85 Stars and stripes this summer for 7500. It has 800+ hours on it. The guys are right about the teak attach points, I noticed on mine they had been replaced with half inch wood screws which leaked water and where not strong enough to hold an adult standing on it. Ask for any spare parts they may have for the boat. The guy I got my boat from had cleaned out a local Mastercraft dealer that was going out of business and he had replacement brass fins and all sorts of stuff. Also look to see if it is still points or if they upgraded to electronic ignition. Check if the gauges work and even the Horn. It’s all the small things you don’t see when you’re so excited to buy a boat that piss you off later. I’m speaking from personal experience. If you want to know more about the 85 feel free to ask.

TMCNo1
01-08-2009, 09:50 PM
No wood stringers in 85. Hopefully, Harold will be along shortly with the advertisement pic from 83! I agree with getting some pics and posting them here.
Here ya go,

Ubugme2
01-08-2009, 09:55 PM
Those pics are SWEET! I like seeing the guts of my boat and how its built. THANX TMCNo1

wilbucd
01-08-2009, 11:09 PM
I agree. Great pics. Thanks.
I set up an appointment to see the boat this weekend. Fingers crossed!

JMann
01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
I purchased an 85 Stars and stripes this summer for 7500. It has 800+ hours on it. The guys are right about the teak attach points, I noticed on mine they had been replaced with half inch wood screws which leaked water and where not strong enough to hold an adult standing on it. Ask for any spare parts they may have for the boat. The guy I got my boat from had cleaned out a local Mastercraft dealer that was going out of business and he had replacement brass fins and all sorts of stuff. Also look to see if it is still points or if they upgraded to electronic ignition. Check if the gauges work and even the Horn. Itís all the small things you donít see when youíre so excited to buy a boat that piss you off later. Iím speaking from personal experience. If you want to know more about the 85 feel free to ask.

I did this summer. I got all excited to buy my first mastercraft a 1991 prostar 190 and then the horn didnt' work the blower makes a racket, the shock to hold up the seat for bow storage didn't hold up the seat, ETC. I did the shock but still need to replace the horn this winter and I'm going to try to lube the blower. Check all that little stuff becuase the cost to repair or replace add up quickly.

funk
01-09-2009, 05:54 PM
I have an 86 that is missing the shock for the observer seat storage, was never there when I bought it. Anyone know what length or part# i would need for replacement.

Thanks.

JMann
01-10-2009, 04:16 AM
I have an 86 that is missing the shock for the observer seat storage, was never there when I bought it. Anyone know what length or part# i would need for replacement.

Thanks.

I don't know what length but when you find out you can go to any camping world, napa kragen or pep boys and buy the one ou need. It doesn't have to be for a marine application. Jim@BAWS might be able to tell you the length.

ProStar Slalom
01-10-2009, 10:30 AM

Thanks.

Is it "missing" the shock? I'm not sure about '86, but my '84 and '87 didn't have shocks/struts since just the top/back portion of the seat lifted. I'm assuming '86 was the same?

wilbucd
01-10-2009, 06:17 PM
Got to look at it today. Needs a major cleanup job but it looks pretty good. Upolstrey and carpet have been replaced. Solid floor. Usual oxidation on the outside. Teak deck needs a lot of work. The bolts holding the deck on seem solid. He said they have never been removed. This guy is the original owner. The windshield frame needs some repair as it is loose in on of the corners. We are still working out a few issues before making a deal. Here are some pictures.

wilbucd
01-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Swim deck needs a lot of work.

wilbucd
01-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Carpet and Upolstrey have been replaced

wilbucd
01-10-2009, 06:29 PM
1050 or so hours

wilbucd
01-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Definately needs a new prop.

wilbucd
01-10-2009, 06:37 PM
front and rear

wilbucd
01-10-2009, 06:42 PM
All guages are supposed to work

wilbucd
01-10-2009, 06:44 PM
Everyone has told me $4000 for this boat would be a great deal so then why does NADA only show $3850 for high retail? Someone tell me what they would price this boat out for.

Cloaked
01-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Good looking boat. It is not in bad shape. I have seen many that are far worse than this (relatively speaking).

You can't go wrong with an original owner and $4000. It's a steal for an 85 model. Be sure and ask if he has all of the original paperwork (maybe you stated that earlier as I did not read back since you originated the thread).

I'd say go for it before someone else like myself (looking for a deal and a flip) scarfs it up.

Good find.

In it's condition, I'd price it to sell at ~$6500 - $7500. The platform will clean up easily enough and the rest is not hurt at all. The gel will buff out. Interior looks good and 800 hours is not at all high hours. I would not quibble about $200 (NADA delta). $4k is a good price.

damaged442
01-10-2009, 07:44 PM
I think that boat is going to be gorgeous when you buff it out! I think the upholstery and carpet alone are worth $4000. I know the speedos aren't original, not sure about the others gauges. Someone with more expertise will chime in soon on that one I'm sure. Personally, I would buy that boat in a heartbeat. I'd make sure to drive it first and see how everything works.

woftam
01-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Had that model/color boat when new (2 promo boats per year for several years running) for one season. The speedos and other guages actually do appear original. The speedos, in particular, tended to quickly go from a black benzel to the suggestion of a brownish tint when exposed to the sun.

TMCNo1
01-10-2009, 08:25 PM
Had that model/color boat when new (2 promo boats per year for several years running) for one season. The speedos and other guages actually do appear original. The speedos, in particular, tended to quickly go from a black benzel to the suggestion of a brownish tint when exposed to the sun.

The bezels slide right off, clean them up w ith lacquer thinner, tack them and shoot with 2 coats of Bondo Black Primer from a rattle can, replace and your good to go!

woftam
01-10-2009, 08:40 PM
Yep. Nice dash!

My point was that the instruments look correct on the boat shown.

Jim@BAWS
01-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Everyone has told me $4000 for this boat would be a great deal so then why does NADA only show $3850 for high retail? Someone tell me what they would price this boat out for.

Look this is real easy...if you don't want to believe everyone here that is just fine. That boat is a 24 year old boat....PISS ON NADA, it is ONLY a guideline. That boat is worth 6500 ALL DAY LONG. If you don't buy it I will. I'll clean it up and sell it in the spring for $7000. You can't get a loan on it anyway so what difference does NADA make !!!

Jim@BAWS

T Scott
01-11-2009, 12:31 AM

Keep in mind, NADA value does not typically include the value of the trailer. I agree with Jim@BAWS.....NADA is just a guide. If you look on Boat Trader, etc. most people are asking $6000 to $7500 for the same boat. The "issues" you mention can be handled with a weekend or two of elbow grease. I can assure you that you won't ever lose a dime on that boat. Don't be a pansy.....buy the boat!

If you change your mind on the deal.......I will buy it!

wilbucd
01-11-2009, 12:51 PM
Jeez guys relax. NADA is considered "just a guideline" only to the guy selling the boat. The buyers, banks and insurance companies think otherwise. Of the four boats I have sold to individuals the first thing they pointed out to me was the NADA price so in my experience it is a number that you have to work around. I have learned my lesson to keep dollar questions off of this board and stick to technical.

Jim@BAWS
01-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Jeez guys relax. NADA is considered "just a guideline" only to the guy selling the boat. The buyers, banks and insurance companies think otherwise. Of the four boats I have sold to individuals the first thing they pointed out to me was the NADA price so in my experience it is a number that you have to work around. I have learned my lesson to keep dollar questions off of this board and stick to technical.

Please ask your PRICING questions... this is the 4th page of this thread already. You keep rehasing the same thing. I will tell you if a MC floats it is worth $5000 period end of story.
Now stop worrying about what is said here and go buy the boat. You will not be disappointed one bit !!!!

Jim@BAWS

Jim@BAWS
01-11-2009, 02:53 PM
PS by the way
That motor os a FORD 351 240 HP w/ a 1:1 transmission 13 x 13 prop Top speed right at
45 MPH...Platform is an easy clean up

Pull the motor and clean and paint 2 weekends worth of work and you can increase the value
$2-$3000 easily

Jim@BAWS

Slinkyredfoot
01-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Who the heck is NADA anyway? Nada means nothing or no one in esapanol so do believe NADA..
The boat looks good and for 4K buy it and have fun with this classic...engine looks good and the overall condition, Harold will fix the teak platform up for you so what are ya worrying about

I just guess that some seople are just unsure of making the wrong decision.

WishIWasSkiing
01-11-2009, 08:24 PM
Please please please just buy it. I was in basically the same situation last summer - the boat I wanted was underpriced, had a few issues (fuel gauge, stern light bulb, & eventually the starter), but these boats are the best of the very best & I paid the asking price. My parents still have their 1980 Stars & Stripes running strong, & I know there are countless folks here that have 20-25 year old boats in tip top shape. Look at it this way, would you rather regret buying this boat, finding out it's not everything you want, then selling it for close to (if not a little more than) what you paid for it, or regret not buying it & have that "what if" hanging over your head?

wilbucd
01-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Yes I will be buying the boat. Thanks for all of you input and enthusiasm.

damaged442
01-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Great news!! Make sure you enjoy it!