PDA

View Full Version : X-2 and X-star differences

cal2vin
01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
My dad is considering purchasing a new boat for us this year and he is trying to figure out the differences in the X-2 and X-star. I know there is a world of difference because they are at opposite ends of the spectrum but I dont know any specifics to tell him. Could you all please give me some of the major key differences in these two boats.

Thank you

wakeX2wake
01-07-2009, 03:51 PM
are you looking at a new one?... or what years models?

they're really not at that far ends of the spectrum... i'm a little biased obviously b/c i own one but a weighted x2 can roll a heck of a consistent shapely wake when loaded and a x-star is the flagship of the wakeboat industry... some on wakeworld will disagree but they're all about malipus there

corey
01-07-2009, 04:14 PM
The X-2 is a little more versatile in terms of skiing and boarding than the X-Star with the X-Star edging out the X-2 with a little nicer wakeboard wake. the surf wake on a loaded X-2 is hard to beat though I have no issues surfing the X-Star.

Even though the X-Star is bigger it really doesnt have much more usable space in the cockpit, the X-2 simply kills it in this department plus the built in cooler in nice. The bow in the X-Star is much bigger and it's awesome for relaxing.

I have a buddy with an X-2 and I usually roll in an X-Star. Give me a shout if you have any specific questions.

Ole Miss Rebels
01-07-2009, 05:04 PM
i traded an 05 xstar for an 08 xstar. if my boat blew up tomorrow i would replace it with an xstar simply because i like the wake for wakeboarding. the surf wake is also good (but not great). i have never ridden in or behind a current x2 but i have read several places that it is difficult to get a really good wakeboarding wake behind one. i am not bashing the people on her who own one. clearly, they know first hand what their wake is like. if it was me i would certainly want to ride behind both and make my own decision. they are both nice boats and are both expensive boats (athough the x2 is slightly less). if wakboarding is your primary interest then i would seriously consider an xstar.

jdl xstar
01-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Full disclosure: I own an 07 X2

Do the new X stars even have a regular ski pylon by the engine cover? I don't think some years do which makes it more one dimensional (boarding) in IMHO. Corey is right about the space issue. The X star is 2 feet longer but that extra length doesn't translate into a larger seating area. If space or garage storing is a consideration, the X2 works better in that categaory too.

Can't go wrong whatsoever with either one. Just tossing out some things to consider...

cal2vin
01-07-2009, 05:21 PM
I think we would be looking at the '07 - '08 range. What about the difference in speed control. Is it necessary to have perfect pass and zero off. I would be using this boat for intermediate wake-boarding and then also slalom skiing.

endl
01-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Go to MC website. You can also pull older boat brochures and manuals. X2 had 205 hull through 05 new hull in 06. X-Star hull changed in 04 and was 205 hull before.

ttu
01-07-2009, 05:24 PM
I think we would be looking at the '07 - '08 range. What about the difference in speed control. Is it necessary to have perfect pass and zero off. I would be using this boat for intermediate wake-boarding and then also slalom skiing.

if you are planning on using the boat for skiing the x2 would be my choice. in re: to perfect pass, on my 07 x2 i had tons of problems with it and ended up going with stargazer and i love it.

endl
01-07-2009, 05:25 PM
You wont find a X-Star without PP, MC cruise works ok but most people find the PP much easier to use. It is not a big deal to add it to a boat without.

wakeX2wake
01-07-2009, 06:00 PM
PP of some kind is a must on any wake/ski boat... TRUST me... my dad's a terrible driver and i wouldn't get along w/ him very long if it weren't for PP... not to mention you're g/f or retarded buddy can drive you w/ no issues as long as they can hold a straight line... i agree w/ endl... you won't find many newer boats made w/o it...

if you're intermediate wakeboarding and some skiing... the x2 is a great boat... the star as said before is for the core wakeboarders... you can get the x2 w/ the attitude adjustment plate and be well off... you're prolly not gonna set any PRs on a slalom course but for hitting a set or two around the lake you'll be fine... if you're going to do more slalom skiing than that you might want to look into the x14 or the new x14v... both are championship slalom ski boat but you can also load them down and wakeboard w/ a pretty decent wake for intermediate riders...

imo... big wakes are for those looking to go to the next level w/ their riding... not for the faint of heart trying to just advance and get stuff dialed in... and that's not a call out at all that's why we add sacs b/c if we wanna mellow the wake out and dial tricks small then we can or we can slam our boats and do stupid stuff

Witness140
01-07-2009, 06:37 PM

PP Wakeboard Pro became standard equipment with the introduction of Medallion's VDIG in the 08' model year. In 2007 PerfectPass or Mastercraft Cruise were optional AFAIK. You will see X series boat in the 07' model year without PP. In my search for a boat, I think I saw more boats without PP than with. The ones without usually had MC cruise.

You will only find Zero Off as an option starting in the 2009 model year, due to the change in engine ECM's during that model year. If you opt for Zero Off in the 09' model year you will have both systems - PP Wakeboard Pro and Zero Off. ZO takes priority if both are turned on at the same time. Difference between the two? ZO is purely GPS driven. PP is paddlewheel driven. ZO is not available for boats outside the 09' model year, unless you also want to change out the ECM. (not cheap)

If intermediate wake-baording is your intention, and you still want to slalom ski - sounds to me like an X2 with the optional attitude plate is the direction you would want to go.

What level of slalom skiing will you be expecting from your new boat?

I just ordered an 09' X2, coming out of 2 consecutive 197's.

cal2vin
01-07-2009, 06:46 PM
Slalom skiing level doesnt have to be professional quality I just dont want it to be ridiculously hard to do. I am coming off of a 1996 prostar 205. Yes perfect pass is a must for me because I am tired of having people try to drive that cant keep the speed steady. What is the attitude adjustment plate?

Witness140
01-07-2009, 07:08 PM
The attitute plate is an electrically actuated trim tab on the stern. I will grab a photo for you in a second. It can be used to change the characteristics of the wake. It really benefits skiers on a boat like the X2, and can also be used to fine tune the wakeboard wake at boarding speeds. I have a youtube video I can post as well showing an 08' X2 wake while the plate is being manipulated.

I think you'd be satisfied with the X2 wake with the plate down, considering your background.

I've always been a slalom course skier. A little bit of trick as well. I've had some sort of tournament slalom boat for 20 years. Like I said, just came from owning 2 197's.

I was looking for a well rounded boat with room for a family (I have 4 kids.) I'm also just starting to play with the wakeboard and want to surf.

I skied behind an 07' X2 with the plate. I tricked, boarded, and slalomed behind the boat. I was coming from a season of tournament slalom skiing on a 197 at 22-35 off, 36mph. I free-skied the X2 at 22, 28, and 32 off, 34mph. I found the wake to be more than acceptable. It is no 197, but it reminded me a lot of the old American Skier wakes from the mid 80's. Narrow Flat table. At 32 off the wake became less of a factor, as is usual.

Will it be a good slalom course boat? I don't know. I wasn't able to drive it in a course with a decent skier. I'll let you know in the spring how that goes. I'm predicting it will be all over the place in the course without tracking fins. Nonetheless, I ordered mine with the 3 event Zero Off. The standard PP WB Pro in the 09' VDIG only has a recreational slalom mode.

I'd say you'd probably be dissapointed with slaloming behind an X-star using the 205 as a benchmark. However - I've never slalomed behind a star. I'd be shocked if the X-star's wake at 15' off, 32-34mph is anything short of substantial.

kmillard92
01-07-2009, 07:18 PM
X-15...the best of both worlds :)

Witness140
01-07-2009, 07:23 PM
Im not so sure coming from a 205 that he'd be too impressed with the X15's slalom wake, but everyone has to try it for themselves I suppose.

In a lot of ways, I'd rather have the X15. I still look at them and wonder if I should have done it. After all - how much slalom skiing am I really gonna do on the X2? If we want to hit the course, we're gonna take my buddies' 206 or LX. If we want to cruise, board, surf, or chill, we'll have the X2.

The X15 won't fit in my garage, pushes me to a tandem trailer, and is more pricey. On the flip side, the cockpit room is exactly the size I'm after.

If I end up never slalom skiing behind the 2, and we seem to always have a crowd, and we get really into surfing/boarding....the next boat might very well be the 15.

Here's the pic of the plate.

sand2snow22
01-07-2009, 07:25 PM
I agree with witness. Don't get an X-Star if you are going to ski behind it. The wake behind it at slalom speeds is still huge!

I'll throw the X1 into the mix since I have one and love it. I've been behind the new X2 and I prefer the wakeboard wake of the X1. You could argue the ski wake is better, too. I haven't skied behind the new X2, yet, so I can't comment. If you go X2, get the plate.

X2 has more room, deeper freeboard and more storage than the X1. Surf wake is better on the X2, too. But, there is a reason I still own a X1. For me it's the ultimate crossover ski, wakeboard and surf boat.

sand2snow22
01-07-2009, 07:28 PM
If I end up never slalom skiing behind the 2, and we seem to always have a crowd, and we get really into surfing/boarding....the next boat might very well be the 15.

In a perfect world I would have an X-15 and a prostar 197!

Witness140
01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
In a perfect world I would have an X-15 and a prostar 197!

Amen!

Both in a boat house, side by side in cradles, in front of my 2 acre 4200 sq foot new construction - somewhere warm all year round. Wife asking me if I want to take a slalom set, or if we should take the 15 out for a board run.

Slinkyredfoot
01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
]My dad is considering purchasing a new boat for us this year and he is trying to figure out the differences in the X-2 and X-star. I know there is a world of difference because they are at opposite ends of the spectrum but I dont know any specifics to tell him. Could you all please give me some of the major key differences in these two boats.

Thank you[/QUOTE]

I wish I had your dad.....Thanks for clearing it all up for me, I learned a lot about these boats now reading everyone's comments and preferences.

I think I will invest in an X2, if these boats attract all the nice looking babes on the "Swim Suite" thread then I have missed the boat..how much because now I know I have a chance to be cool :D

Witness140
01-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Here's an 08' X2 wake. IIRC the speed was around 20. Towards the end you can see the effect of moving the plate. Sorry I don't have a video at slalom speed, but you can get an idea of how it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIwVrSsSfZk

Jerseydave
01-07-2009, 09:00 PM
Here's my friends' 2006 X-2 at about 22-23 mph. Stock ballast plus extra (can't remember how much)

It's got a nice wake for wakeboarding, never tried to ski behind it but the ski wake has to be alot better than my '05 x-star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK9GcP4hGhw

sand2snow22
01-07-2009, 09:33 PM
nj, you sure that's not an X-Star wake? The rooster tail looks classic X-Star!

sand2snow22
01-07-2009, 09:36 PM
You can go to wakeboardingmag.com to view the wakes:

http://www.wakeboardingmag.com/VTD/2009/MasterCraft/index.html?manufacture=1&boat=13

dapicatti
01-07-2009, 10:17 PM
We have owned both, and they both are amazing boats. However, there is no way I would ever consider skiing behind the X star, besides the fact that we don't even have a ski pylon! If you only want to wakeboard, go with the star. The X 2 is an amazing boat, and if you are not looking for the biggest wake it will be fine. You can weight it down pretty easily and get an amazing wake. Also, a much better surfing wake with stock ballast (and a few friends in the boat). Both are great, just depends on what you want to do.

skeeler
01-08-2009, 09:32 AM
Difference.......Night & Day.

Ole Miss Rebels
01-08-2009, 11:55 AM
Difference.......Night & Day.

please expand on your opinion.

skeeler
01-08-2009, 12:19 PM
please expand on your opinion.
Alright, here we go! :D Here is the background, I have owned both. An '07 X-2 and currently own an '08 X-Star.
The non-wakeboarding reasons;
1. The extra 2 feet gives you a ton of more room. Bow and cabin. Also the rear sun pad, for my wife who always wants to lay in the sun, this was the only reason we bought it. (Happy wife, happy life. But I like also.)
2. Bigger rear storage compartments for gear and sacs.
The wakeboarding reasons;
1. With only the factory ballast, probably pretty close to the same, but with the Star full loaded, the thing is fricken unbelievable.
2. What I have found with the X-2 is, the wake is really good loaded, but you can over load it and loose the sweet spot. With the X-Star, the more weight you add, the better it is!

Having said all of that, the X-2 is great boat! It is the biggest 20 footer you will ever be in, hands down, and has great overall performance. But if you are a series wakeboarder, no question, go with the Star.

My :twocents:

Ole Miss Rebels
01-08-2009, 12:48 PM
i am surprised that the two wakes are nearly comparable with stock ballast. i am also surprised that your experiences are that the x2 is capable of a pro-level wake when properly ballasted. i had read that it was near impossible to get a pro-level wake out of an x2. again, i am not degrading the x2, only repeating what i have read several times, that owners and riders were disappointed in the wake. i am glad you set the record straight and coming from someone knowledgeable and having had first-hand experience i trust your opinion.

skeeler
01-08-2009, 12:56 PM
i am surprised that the two wakes are nearly comparable with stock ballast. i am also surprised that your experiences are that the x2 is capable of a pro-level wake when properly ballasted. i had read that it was near impossible to get a pro-level wake out of an x2. again, i am not degrading the x2, only repeating what i have read several times, that owners and riders were disappointed in the wake. i am glad you set the record straight and coming from someone knowledgeable and having had first-hand experience i trust your opinion.
You summed it up right there. "nearly comparable with stock ballast" But not the same for sure.
And like I said, the X-2 is a great boat that will get the job done for sure. We loved our X-2, I just knew it was a stepping stone to get the boat I really wanted.
But if you want a serious, no bs, big pro capable wake, then you probably already know you need an X-Star. :D

cal2vin
01-08-2009, 02:46 PM
The wake from the x-2 will be considerably bigger than the one coming from my 205 correct?

skeeler
01-08-2009, 03:01 PM
The wake from the x-2 will be considerably bigger than the one coming from my 205 correct?
If you are comparing the current X-2 to the 205, the comparison is really apples to oranges. The wakes are totally different shape. I suppose you could get the wakes to be the same overall height, but again the shape would be different. The 205/X-1/Old X-2 is more of the wall, where the current X-2 has a longer transition and ramp.

jdl xstar
01-08-2009, 03:12 PM

Yes. I used to have a 205 and now I have an X2. much bigger wake.

Ole Miss Rebels
01-08-2009, 05:18 PM

i had a '99 205V which is the same hull as the old xstar, old x1 and old x2. i have always heard and read that the wake behind the 205V was and still is the second best wakeboard wake in the MC lineup. it is indeed a very quick, steep wake. a wall so to speak. you are going to go UP when you hit it. not much transition or ramp. if you like that type of wake it is amongst the best in the industry. comparable/similar to a correct craft 210 team wake but maybe a few percentage points less severe in abruptness. if it is indeed a 205V-drive (and i am pretty sure that there is a difference in the 205V-drive hull and the 205 direct drive hull) then you have yourself a killer boat.

Witness140
01-08-2009, 05:57 PM

But are you asking about the slalom wake or the wakeboard wake?

cal2vin
01-08-2009, 08:13 PM
I am asking about the wakeboarding wake? Will it be an upgrade in wakeboard quality wake from my current boat is what I am asking.

Witness140
01-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Xstar is the flagship boat of the wakeboarding sport. Just dont plan on doing much slalom skiing if you get an Xstar. From a Direct drive 205 to an X2, I'd also say a properly weighted X2 is an improvement as well, without losing the ability to take an occasional slalom set.

duckguy
01-08-2009, 11:10 PM
I have also owned and 04x2 o6 and 07 x2 and an 08 x-star. Here is my take.

04x2 now the x1.

- I like the wake, it is rampier than both and does respond very very well to ballast. It is also narrower than the others making it easier to clear for newbies. The wake is also good for surfing. I am not a skier so I don't know but it seems to be good from the reports.

-The cabin is small for the size it is. It is the regular cab pickup of sorts. It gets the job done out back but not real great in terms of a big crew.

-It rides the worse of all of them in the chop.

06,07 x2

-Massive storage and room for a 20 ft boat

-Rides as nice as my old 220 Sea Ray

-Ballast in the floors, no bags

-Pickle is nice, adds lots of room for observing to the rear and for lounging

-built in cooler is nice, nicer than the star one, X-star cooler in the bow is pretty small.

-Wake does not look as big but the shape and firmness is great. If you are not a pro you should be plenty fine with a x2 with the fly high (also a must for surfing) which does does the best of the 3 on both the port and starboard sides.

-This boat is great all around, There is a reason it is the number one selling MC. It really does everything well in a very easy to drive and trailer package. Also will consume less fuel than the star

x-star

- The wake is flat out the best for boarding, no ifs ands or buts.

- Starboard surf wake is bad, port is rideable

- handles chop well, but you really need to be on your game as it loves to dip the bow.

-LY6 is the only engine, it is a rockstar! I am not trying to start a debate about the fact that your x-star has a prop and an mcx and its fine. Trust me its not! I have had full ballast plus the fly high system in mine full with 10 people and had to drain some because the boat would not plane out. I put on a pretty stout prop on mine if I know we will have a really full load.

Most of the extra length of this boat is in sunpad and bow. The cabin is no bigger than the x2 but I can lay down in any direction in the bow and the sunpad is great.

With all that said I would really, really like this:

A x-15 with a picklefork or an x-star with a larger cabin, bigger cooler, less sinkable bow and the ability to surf clean on both sides.

duckguy
01-08-2009, 11:14 PM
Also Cal2vin, I see you are in the midwest. Tell your pops to head in to www.redlinewatersports.com to check out a few rides. They have a great staff over there and from what I hear a hell of a nice promo driver.

sand2snow22
01-09-2009, 12:28 AM
A x-15 with a picklefork or an x-star with a larger cabin, bigger cooler, less sinkable bow and the ability to surf clean on both sides.

Duck have you heard the rumor of the CSX 220 V-Drive?

duckguy
01-09-2009, 12:32 AM
No I havent, but as much as I think the CSX is really cool, it is just not a boat for me. I don't fish or dive.

sand2snow22
01-09-2009, 12:59 AM
No I havent, but as much as I think the CSX is really cool, it is just not a boat for me. I don't fish or dive.

Rumor is they're building a wakeboard boat with the (bottom) hull of the CSX. Make sense? Could be like your pickle fork X-15 so to speak.....

wakeX2wake
01-09-2009, 12:14 PM
yea i think they had an oops and designed a hull that accidentally had a great wakeboarding wake and couldn't get the wakeboard crowd to buy a CSX so they're gonna put a "regular" "top half" on it and slap and new x-# and have yet another ridiculous model

sand2snow22
01-09-2009, 12:43 PM
yea i think they had an oops and designed a hull that accidentally had a great wakeboarding wake and couldn't get the wakeboard crowd to buy a CSX so they're gonna put a "regular" "top half" on it and slap and new x-# and have yet another ridiculous model

That's my take on the X1, they had an oops on a ski boat. Turned out to have a great wakeboard wake!

Itsme
01-09-2009, 01:22 PM
That's my take on the X1, they had an oops on a ski boat. Turned out to have a great wakeboard wake!

I agree - but the X1 had a pretty sweet ski wake with the inboard setup as well.