PDA

View Full Version : Removing a Hydro-Rail

Jimperry
01-07-2009, 02:29 PM
I need to replace a Hydro-Rail on my boat and I am wondering if anyone has any experience or good advice on how to remove the existing one. I'm told that in addition to the four screws, they were attached to the hull with 5200.

Thanks,

Jorski
01-07-2009, 03:55 PM
It doesn't look that bad from the photo..why not fix it in place ?

oldriver
01-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I think there is 5 or 6 screws.The 5200 is going to be tough to free up but Im sure there is a solvent you can use but they are on there to stay.Good luck and I agree why not have a good glass man do the work,there is a template on the other side

OHIOPRO205
01-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Dumb question but that looks like the notch in the back of my boat. What are the Hydro-rails for?

corey
01-07-2009, 04:40 PM
The hydro rails were added to the 98' ProStar 190 hull to enhance the slalom wake. they came standard on the 99' and 00' hulls. Most of the 98' hulls were retro fitted with the rails but some were not and so you might still find some without the rails. I know we had a 98' 30th Anniversary a couple years back that didnt have them.

bigmac
01-07-2009, 05:14 PM
Boy...I can tell you that 5200 is a bugger to deconstruct. If that thing is glued and screwed, I'd bet it will be cheaper and easier to get it repaired than replaced.

Skipper
01-08-2009, 09:59 AM
To remove 5200 try this technique:

Materials:
o a foot of welding wire .30 or .35 guage steel works pretty good.
o two shielded wire leads to connect to a battery and the welding wire
o 12v automotive battery

Technique:
1: Bend the welding wire into the approximate shape of the back where the rail meets the hull leaving about four inches of wire extra on each end
2: Attach the shielded wire to the welding wire with alligator clips or wire nuts
3: Attach the sheilded wires to the 12v battery
4: Hold each shielded wire and draw the welding wire through the joint

The concept is that the heated welding wire cuts through the 5200. I have removed my strut with this technique. Works very well.

bigmac
01-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Materials:
o 12v automotive battery

Technique:
1: Bend the welding wire into the approximate shape of the back where the rail meets the hull leaving about four inches of wire extra on each end
2: Attach the shielded wire to the welding wire with alligator clips or wire nuts

The concept is that the heated welding wire cuts through the 5200. I have removed my strut with this technique. Works very well.

Cool tip...!

flipper
01-08-2009, 10:26 AM

Materials:
o 12v automotive battery

Technique:

Never herd of that one, great idea