PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new starter?

6ballsisall
05-11-2005, 08:38 PM
This darn thing, if it aint one problem its another! My starter is starting to get funny. If you crank on it more than a few times (still messing with the timing) it gives this loud grinding noise like something is stuck. It's not the ticking sound you get with a low battery, it's louder and sounds like something is bound up. What is that? Is the bendix getting stuck?

Help!

SKI*MC
05-11-2005, 09:40 PM
Pull the starter, heres what i think might have happened:
Problem 1: Pull staters out, turn engine over by hand (on drive shaft) Mark where you started from on the fly wheel, rotate 360 degrees (1 revolution) inspect all the teeth, make sure they aren't ground off, after doing so, if no teeth are damaged, take the starter in for rebuild, the starter is grounding out.

Ley me knoiw if that works.

6ballsisall
05-11-2005, 09:51 PM
Pull the starter, heres what i think might have happened:
Problem 1: Pull staters out, turn engine over by hand (on drive shaft) Mark where you started from on the fly wheel, rotate 360 degrees (1 revolution) inspect all the teeth, make sure they aren't ground off, after doing so, if no teeth are damaged, take the starter in for rebuild, the starter is grounding out.

Ley me knoiw if that works.

Thanks man!! Actually the more I think about it the more I think it is grounding out. If you let it cool off for 5-10 minutes and try again it starts fine usually. Secondly, when I had the transmission out last fall and replaced the damper plate I remember the flywheel being in good shape. Is there a way I can test to see if the starter is grounding out?

SKI*MC
05-11-2005, 10:22 PM
Well if you have the right amp meter, you can chck that, but if you take it into a shop they will do a bench shop they will test it for you, but I still think it needs to be rebuilt.

6ballsisall
05-11-2005, 10:25 PM
Well if you have the right amp meter, you can chck that, but if you take it into a shop they will do a bench shop they will test it for you, but I still think it needs to be rebuilt.

Cool, how long does it take to rebuild? Will it take weeks? It looks like it is just 2 bolts, is that right?

SKI*MC
05-11-2005, 10:41 PM
A few days at most, what do you mean 2 bolts??

6ballsisall
05-11-2005, 10:47 PM
A few days at most, what do you mean 2 bolts??

I was looking at how it was bolted to the block. Isn't it just 2 bolts that hold it to the block itself? Take those out and it's off?

SKI*MC
05-11-2005, 10:52 PM
Take the power off your battery, then your starter, and just unscrew it and your set! :)

BriEOD
05-12-2005, 06:56 AM
Yes, Jeff it's 2 bolts. Take the cable off and then both bolts. The one underneath is always fun. You'll need two extensions for your socket. Make sure you support it or it will crash into the bilge.

6ballsisall
05-12-2005, 08:58 PM
Well the boat left me stranded today!! :mad: I got the new Mallory distributor in and was cruising the lake and after messing with the timing I killed the motor. Went to restart and NADA!!! After paddling across the lake a couple hundred yards (into the wind no less) a guy pulled up in a little aluminum fishing boat and towed me in. He has a Ski Supreme and recently replaced his starter. After some fiddling it seemed pretty clear the starter needed a grave site. Soooooo........ another part on order from Ski-Dim!!! Man I need to buy stock in that company :rolleyes:

André
05-12-2005, 09:29 PM
You should have ordered a brand new MCX right from the start !
Man,this is really a costing you an arm an leg Jeff!
Does Vince recocgnize your voice over the phone by now ?
I Hope it's the end of it!

6ballsisall
05-12-2005, 09:34 PM
You should have ordered a brand new MCX right from the start !
Man,this is really a costing you an arm an leg Jeff!
Does Vince recocgnize your voice over the phone by now ?
I Hope it's the end of it!

Seriously!! I should be able to title this boat as a new boat when I am all said and done!! :rolleyes: Vince and Richard are seriously beginning to get to know me, I tell them my name of the phone and they already remember my boat and they sure find my file quick with the credit card # :(

André
05-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Don't try to keep a tab or you'll get sick like a pregnant women and we know that one in the house is enough!
Is that part going better then the boat ?

PE4ME
05-12-2005, 09:48 PM
Good to know I am not the only guy with Vince/Richard/Cindy? on speed dial. They no me buy caller ID. He has more patients than my wife. Seriously though, what a great group of guys/gal. They have more positive feedback than most EBAY junkies... They saved me tons in my restoration project. 94 205.