PDA

View Full Version : Clearwater/St. Pete's

dano
01-06-2009, 10:06 PM
My wife and I are planning a vacation to the Clearwater/St Pete area. Looking for recommendations on where to stay and places to see. We will be taking our 1 year old son with us on his first vacation. We are thinking we would like a condo of some sort so we can put our son to bed and still have some space to enjoy the nights once he goes to bed.

Any recommendations?

coz
01-06-2009, 10:25 PM
My wife and I are planning a vacation to the Clearwater/St Pete area. Looking for recommendations on where to stay and places to see. We will be taking our 1 year old son with us on his first vacation. We are thinking we would like a condo of some sort so we can put our son to bed and still have some space to enjoy the nights once he goes to bed.
Any recommendations?

Make sure you have a sitter before you go out :rolleyes:

SteveO
01-07-2009, 10:56 PM
I have rented a condo in Indian Rocks beach 3 times and have had a blast. The kids love the beaches and the unit we rented had a pool and hot tub in a small new complex. IRB is close to Clearwater and near several great restaurants in Clearwater, Bell Air, and those between IRB and John's Pass (Salt Rock Grill has my favorite Tuna in the US) I'll shoot you a PM with the information.

No Skeez
01-08-2009, 11:38 AM
My grandparents winter in Largo every year to escape the great white north, so I am very familiar with the area. As was mentioned, John's Pass is a good touristy place to spend a day. I've parasailed from there, and iirc, it wasn't too expensive. I had never done it before, and if you haven't either, I would highly recommend it. The beaches in the area are all very nice, from St Pete Beach all the way north to Clearwater, with Indian Rocks Beach in the middle. Be careful, as this part of the gulf is very prone to sting rays. MAKE SURE to shuffle your feet when walking into the water. My parents were down there last year and two people got stung within an hour. Not to scare you off however, as of the 10 or so times we've been there, those were the first instances we actually witnessed. Not necessarily the fanciest restaurant, but a family favorite is PJ's Oyster Bar (PJ's Oyster Bar (http://www.pjsoysterbar.com/)), just east of Gulf Blvd off Indian Rocks Causeway / Walsingham Blvd / 5th Ave (it's called all three depending on where you are). Be prepared for a long wait, but the atmosphere is great and the raw oysters are some of my favorites. If you are farther down towards St Pete Beach, Crabby Bill's is a place right on the beach. Again, Oysters on the half shell were fantastic. Not exactly the "nicest" place on the beach, but that's the point. If the sun gets too hot, walk in in your boardshorts and flip flops and enjoy a dozen and a pitcher.

Man, if I wasn't leaving for Playa del Carmen in two days I'd be a lot more jealous than I already am!

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM. (Actually after writing all this I just realized who you are... Thanks for the basketball ticket last night!)

Have Fun!

TNH2oSkier
01-08-2009, 01:03 PM
Indian rocks is a great place, as mentioned above. We have stayed at the Reef Club condo's several times and been pleased. Its a large condo building, and has had quite a few children when we have been there. That could be a plus or minus, depending on your outlook. If your looking for more upscale dining try Leverocks, and there is always the first ever Hooters, cant go wrong there.