PDA

View Full Version : Light connector?

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 06:04 PM
Here is the picture of the light connector off the trailer that I want to buy. Since it isn't a 5 prong, does that mean no brakes?

MarkP
05-11-2005, 06:08 PM
Here is the picture of the light connector off the trailer that I want to buy. Since it isn't a 5 prong, does that mean no brakes?

NO...............

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 06:12 PM
No brakes or no, it does have brakes. Come on man.....

east tx skier
05-11-2005, 06:38 PM
It has surge brakes. To back up, you'll need to put a key in.

BriEOD
05-11-2005, 06:51 PM
Maybe.........

east tx skier
05-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Sorry, I mean, maybe, maybe not. And that's the truth. Did you not check them before you bought it. Have we taught you nothing? Am I to assume you've been posting so much you haven't bothered to read our unsolicited/semisolicited advice? :)

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 07:51 PM
I haven't actually gone down there to check out the boat yet. I have seen only what I have showed you guys, plus I talked with the dealership.

How do I test the brakes? I know that you are supposed to check the fluid reservoir and make sure it is over half full! I read that on here....

WakeSeeky
05-11-2005, 09:27 PM
FWIW, our previous boat was a 97 PS 205. Saw the pic of the boat and trailer you're looking at on the other thread. It LOOKS like the same trailer we had, which did have brakes. As far as I know, that was a/the standard MC trailer for that year, p/o didn't mention anything special about it (and we did discuss it, he'd blown a tire and shattered a fender just before we bought it). Anyway, I think it's likely it does have brakes, but I don't know of any way to tell for sure without actually looking at it. Good luck, though with the new boat, our 205 was a sweet ride.

MarkP
05-11-2005, 09:45 PM
No brakes or no, it does have brakes. Come on man.....
That year boat/trailer more than likely will be equipped with brakes and with a connector like the one you have shown us I would suspect Doug is correct in offering the opinion that the trailer has surge type brakes. Really is no way to know the true condition of the entire braking system other than removing wheels and drums to inspect the shoes and wheel cylinders. If that’s not possible just know for a “do it yourselfer” a complete remove and replace shouldn’t be that difficult.

You could just ask the seller but he could just lie.

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 10:20 PM
If it doesn't come with the "KEY" can you buy one? Anybody got a photo?

Holtrodj
05-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah you could buy one - or make one for that matter. Any MC dealer should sell one for less than $5.

east tx skier
05-12-2005, 03:23 PM
You could get an idea about things by hooking the trailer up to your tow vehicle and stopping on a slight slope, so the mechanism engages. Then, slide a floor jack under there and lift one side of the trailer up. Then try to spin the wheel. Never tried this, but might be a way to see if it's working.

Footin
05-12-2005, 03:29 PM
That would work; but you can just jack up one wheel and have someone push on the plunger and the wheel should stop.

SteveO
05-12-2005, 03:30 PM
Isn't the difference between a 4 pin and a 5 pin back up lights, or lack their of?

erkoehler
05-12-2005, 03:42 PM
somebody said it was electronic disengagement of the brakes when you shift to reverse.

AirJunky
05-12-2005, 04:38 PM
somebody said it was electronic disengagement of the brakes when you shift to reverse.
Not likely in that old of a boat. I have a '94 & have a buddy with a '95 & they both use the key to disengage the surge brakes.

Ric
05-12-2005, 04:46 PM
Isn't the difference between a 4 pin and a 5 pin back up lights, or lack their of?
kinda
the trailer may or may not have backup lites with the 5pin but the 5 pin harness does pickup the backup lite lead from the truck and uses it for reverse lockout or backup lites (or both)

peason
05-12-2005, 06:35 PM
Erk, make sure the wheel bearings are in good shape, wouldn't hurt to get them repacked before you pick up the new boat. See other threads about wheels coming off. You are going to be on the road a long time!