PDA

View Full Version : FL - Traffic Lawyer Recommendation

hester
01-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Live in North Carolina but my father got a speeding ticket in Orlando recently and we are trying to find a good lawyer. Any recommendations would be appreciated? The ticket was for 64 in a 55!

SkiDog
01-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Live in North Carolina but my father got a speeding ticket in Orlando recently and we are trying to find a good lawyer. Any recommendations would be appreciated? The ticket was for 64 in a 55!

First of all, did the highway patrol give him the ticket or a county mounty? I believe ONLY the highway patrol can ticket for anything LESS than 10 over. Thats how it is here in GA. Not too sure about FLA. Might try to google it and see. Try this.
http://www.floridaonlinedriverschool.com/Traffic_School-Laws_Florida.htm

TMCNo1
01-06-2009, 06:21 PM
First of all, did the highway patrol give him the ticket or a county mounty? I believe ONLY the highway patrol can ticket for anything LESS than 10 over. Thats how it is here in GA. Not too sure about FLA. Might try to google it and see. Try this.

Great info, especially from someone who gets ticketed for driving below the minimum speed!
Minimum Speed Limit:
I. No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic. 316.183(5)
II. The minimum speed limit on Interstate and Defense Highways, with at lest 4 lanes, is 40 MPH. 316.183(2)
III. A person, driving at less than the normal speed of traffic, shall drive in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway. 316.081(2)

JimN
01-06-2009, 06:38 PM
How old is the car? Have the original tires been replaced? If so, make sure they're the same aspect ratio and diameter. If they're larger (hopefully), the speedo will register low and it may put him in a different bracket for the offense. That's why I got my first speeding ticket.

trickskier
01-06-2009, 06:48 PM

You guys sure have some goofy laws in jawga..............Any officer in Florida including DOT and FWC can write a citation for any violation of the law.

I don't know of any traffic attorneys in O-Town. Does he have a Florida Drivers License?

64 in a 55 sounds like a construction zone.

ttu
01-06-2009, 06:49 PM
dumb question, but why does he need a attorney, can't he just pay the fine.:confused:

trickskier
01-06-2009, 06:52 PM
dumb question, but why does he need a attorney, can't he just pay the fine.:confused:

He doesn't want the violation on his MVR.

SkiDog
01-06-2009, 06:52 PM

Also, anything less than 10 over in Ga. doesn't go on your record! Take Dat!:D

trickskier
01-06-2009, 06:54 PM

Another dumb law...................8p

ttu
01-06-2009, 06:55 PM
He doesn't want the violation on his MVR.

well if he would have stated that in his original post i would have known:rolleyes:. thought it was maybe some law for the state of florida or something.

trickskier
01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
well if he would have stated that in his original post i would have known:rolleyes:. thought it was maybe some law for the state of florida or something.

Well, I am assuming that's why he wants an attorney. Hard to beat in Florida unless you're represented.

Gamble
01-06-2009, 07:43 PM
..........the only reason he'd hire an attorney, is because he doesn't want to admit he broke the law in the first place. Does Florida have a defensive driving course he can take? If so, you may go that route.........the attorney will cost more than the ticket.

BriEOD
01-06-2009, 08:02 PM
Yeah, well that ticket helps supplement the state budget seeing that we don't pay a state tax in FL. We depend on tourists for all sorts of reasons to include speeding...

Take that Dawg!

Go to court plead no contest and pay the fine without points. Pretty standard.

Was he on I-4 or the infamous SR 301? If he was on 301 and didn't heed the 50 billboards that say heavily enforced and speed traps they will get him/you/me everytime.

hester
01-06-2009, 08:12 PM
I was not in his car but think he said it was highway patrol. They were on motorcycles and pulled a bunch of people all at the same time.

Correct he is trying to keep it off his MVR. The insurance company is playing dumb when it comes to how this will impact his premium at renewal.

He does not have a FL license and was driving an 07 Tahoe with low miles on the original tires.

hester
01-06-2009, 08:14 PM
Was he on I-4 or the infamous SR 301? If he was on 301 and didn't heed the 50 billboards that say heavily enforced and speed traps they will get him/you/me everytime.

He was on I-4 leaving Disney as fast as he could after spending 4 days with our three crazy kids!

BriEOD
01-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Unfortunately, tickets to tourists around those parts comprise a fair amount of the operating budget.

TMCNo1
01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
Does Florida offer Cash Rewards?

BriEOD
01-06-2009, 09:06 PM
For?????????????

TX.X-30 fan
01-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Unfortunately, tickets to tourists around those parts comprise a fair amount of the operating budget.

Like there is no real crime in florida to deal with. Blood suckers. We are sheep.

TMCNo1
01-06-2009, 09:14 PM
For?????????????

Payment to the state budget, you know, you pick out a boat, pay for it, get a Cash Reward if you do all the right paperwork, so you get a ticket, pay the fine and get a Cash Reward for doing all the right court paperwork!

GASouthernMC
01-06-2009, 09:30 PM

Actually, in Georgia, anything under 15 over doesn't go on your record.

State Patrol is the only agency allowed to use radar or laser to give tickets for 1-10 mph over is because they are the only agency under state control. I think when they passed that law the government was trying to prevent local municipalities with either uncalibrated equipment or equipment that was calibrated wrong from giving out faulty tickets.

Anyone who has been down I-16 would understand. It would be a travesty to give those nazis the power to pull you over for any speed over the limit

SkiDog
01-06-2009, 09:49 PM
Actually, in Georgia, anything under 15 over doesn't go on your record.

State Patrol is the only agency allowed to use radar or laser to give tickets for 1-10 mph over is because they are the only agency under state control. I think when they passed that law the government was trying to prevent local municipalities with either uncalibrated equipment or equipment that was calibrated wrong from giving out faulty tickets.

Anyone who has been down I-16 would understand. It would be a travesty to give those nazis the power to pull you over for any speed over the limit

There is a town just North of here called Ludowici. Used to be the baddest speed trap in Ga! That is till the state took away their radar!
Anybody ever been thru Lawty Fl.? They got billboards all over Hwy 301, telling you its a speedtrap.

trickskier
01-06-2009, 10:05 PM
There is a town just North of here called Ludowici. Used to be the baddest speed trap in Ga! That is till the state took away their radar!
Anybody ever been thru Lawty Fl.? They got billboards all over Hwy 301, telling you its a speedtrap.

It's spelled Lawtey................Waldo, FL is worse!!!..............8p

Xstreamws
01-07-2009, 03:36 AM
All plz remember that its a posted speed limit. In most states all sworn police/sheriffs/state police are officers of the state and can write tickets and make arrests anywhere in the state in order to uphold the laws they where sworn to uphold.

If its a school or construction zone look out the fines could be doubled and in some case's be for any mph over the posted speed.

Usually 10 mph over is considered to be a violation of the basic rule and a bench mark speed that is usually associated as being worth there time. IE: Writing the ticket, court time etc.

anyway my take on this.

djhuff
01-07-2009, 09:58 AM
You are in NC, even if it comes back to NC to show up on your record, it won't affect the insurance rates. It will however, if you have many 9 over tickets.

If he has time, go down and plead as the previous poster said and it will all go away. They don't want the points on your license, they just want your money.

TX.X-30 fan
01-07-2009, 06:15 PM
All plz remember that its a posted speed limit. In most states all sworn police/sheriffs/state police are officers of the state and can write tickets and make arrests anywhere in the state in order to uphold the laws they where sworn to uphold.If its a school or construction zone look out the fines could be doubled and in some case's be for any mph over the posted speed.

Usually 10 mph over is considered to be a violation of the basic rule and a bench mark speed that is usually associated as being worth there time. IE: Writing the ticket, court time etc.

anyway my take on this.

Say what you will............................ tickets are taxes plain and simple.

Just look at the budgets, city, county, state.

Slinkyredfoot
01-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Say what you will............................ tickets are taxes plain and simple.

Could not agree more. We have a major road constrution project going on here that is running way over budget. There have numerous cops in the last eight months parked in construction zones nailing people right and left for exceding the posted 40mph speed limit, myself included. I got put on a deferal program that I qualified for and my probation date is up Friday, but cost me around $200 for this, if I succede another 48 hours it is off my record. Multiply my fine times thousands other and one can quickly see this is a cash cow for our city.

Articles in the local paper have testified all of these speeders in this area are helping pay for the over budget project that was misrepresented to the public when it was started....that is our mayor here :mad:

JimN
01-07-2009, 09:49 PM

But it's awfully easy to never pay those taxes. You could look at taxes as recovering the cost of doing business, but tickets are like penalties for exceeding a credit line, late fee, or some other penalty. They may estimate how much they'll take in but the amount they take in can't be set by the governing body. Penalties are not taxes and tickets are totally optional.

wakeX2wake
01-08-2009, 07:35 AM
Like there is no real crime in florida to deal with. Blood suckers. We are sheep.

agreed... dang those blood thirsty 64mph drivers... they should all be in jail...

seriously though... if you're ever traveling through Alabama make sure its not a "take back the highways day/weekend/week"... Alabama State Troopers Office puts out a "blitz" on speeding motorists and will write a ticket for even 1mph over the speed limit... the first time they had this "funding drive" as i like to call it... they wrote as many traffic tickets in one weekend as they had the previous 6 months over the entire state (that figure is not at all exaggerated... may not be exact but not at all exaggerated)... it was one of those situations where everyone in the state knew somebody who had gotten a ticket for a traffic violation that weekend... it was ridiculous... thankfully both my parents work in situations where they knew before hand and called and told me about "the drive" and i tried to warn as many as possible... several didn't heed my warning

JimN
01-08-2009, 10:20 AM
They may write tickets for 1MPH over the limit but they'll have to prove their radar is accurate to less than 1MPH to make them stick and if everyone contests on that basis, it'll waste a lot of time and money for the department and court when they need to test all of the radar guns.

Quotas are illegal- why isn't this kind of thing contested in court? There's ALWAYS electronic or paper communication for this- word of mouth wouldn't be efficient enough.

TX.X-30 fan
01-08-2009, 11:54 AM
They are careful not to say quotas, but a cop could get stuck with some crappy details if he fails to meet the minimum standard or goal or shift objective.

6ballsisall
01-08-2009, 11:57 AM
They are careful not to say quotas, but a cop could get stuck with some crappy details if he fails to meet the minimum standard or goal or shift objective.

Yeah, my soon to be BIL is a officer. I can't remember what word they use, but it's not quota. Same implied meaning, they do have "standards" or "expectations" of achieving certain numbers.

wakeX2wake
01-08-2009, 12:04 PM
now this is just a toss up in the air but... i would imagine there's a "suggested" number of traffic violation citations a department should meet based on a couple of factors... one being the level of traffic in a given area and another being traffic accidents in that area as well... i definitely noticed as i was driving back 50 mi one way to juco/part-time college employment that in the months following a notable traffic incident that patrols would pick-up and slowly wain off... coincidence?... now did that help keep people safe?... plausible but 64 in a 55... not much you can do there... BUT that particular law is black and white and don't i think its worth the officer's time and the states dollars to stop this offender it is there to make a point and to generate revenue