PDA

View Full Version : speaker question

kycat2007
01-06-2009, 02:48 AM
I bought some Alpine marine speakers last year for my 1997 Maristar. The 04 X2 has the clarion speakers in it/ I think the tweeters are seperate from the bass. Question is should
I switch the Clarion with the Alpines? Speakers dryrot correct?

Justjoe
01-06-2009, 04:29 AM
Are the Alpine separate components or are the Clarions separate?? From what I understand, most marine grade speakers (read: almost all car audio speakers now) don't have the old paper cones that would have rot. Of course, I'm sure theres a bunch of other reasons to switch.

brucemac
01-06-2009, 10:46 AM
kycat, i have your same boat, but a 2003. i have the same clarions, with exception of the tower speakers. the clarions should be fine, but you can do better. the problem will be getting those alpines to fit. are they seperates? there aren't a lot of "marine grade" speakers (especially seperates) that will fit in our boat without creating work. the newer JL's won't fit and the older JL's look almost the same and wouldn't sound that much better if at all.

i did a lot of looking and finally decided to put these in my boat. they'll fit without any cutting and i'll be able to use the surface mount cups to mount in the bow. i may have to fill and gelcoat repair one very small screw hole from the old clarion surface mount cup up front, but that should not be a big deal.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2008/107/h107MM6501-f.jpeg

/edit, sorry forgot to say what they were. they're Polks's Mobile Monitor Series, part MM6501:
http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/marine/products/mm6501/

kycat2007
01-06-2009, 02:17 PM
The Clarion are the seperate ones. The Alpine are both tweeter and bass.

brucemac
01-06-2009, 02:31 PM
up to you. you should check them out. on my boat, the cut-outs for the mid-bass drivers are 5 inches in diameter.

the cut-outs for the tweeters in the cabin are 2 inches in diameter. the bow tweeters use a surface mount oblong cup that has two screws. depending on what hardware your alpines came with you may or may not be able to make them work up front in the bow. the polks above come with flushmount and surface mount hardware. i'll probably use the polk surface mount cup and then gelcoat repair 1 very small screw hole from the oblong clarion cup.

the only other thing i can think of is that you'll need to make sure you have enough clearance depth-wise for your mid-bass drivers up front. chances are, you'll be fine, but i'd start up front.

/edit, i just re-read your post. sounds like the alpines are coaxials. in that case, if the clarions sound good, i'd stick with them from an aethetics perspective. but that's just me. :)

kycat2007
01-06-2009, 02:55 PM
thanks Bruce

Justjoe
01-06-2009, 04:53 PM
The Polk speakers are nice. I had MOMO's in the tower (heck, I HAVE momo's in the tower as I still have the boat) of my 197 and they ROCK. I guess if you were going to change to something, that would be a good direction.

brucemac
01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
yeah, agreed. i had the little mmc650's (momo 6.5in coaxials) in my last boat and they did sound terrific. held up really well too. i hope i hear a noticeable difference. i'm pretty sure i will. i'll probably have to adjust the gains a little on my amp. these new MM series use some of the same technology as their higher end SR line. they're rated at 125W RMS and i'll only be pushing about 100, so hopefully that's not biggy. i'll have them in a week or so and will report back. i really like the looks of them and i think they'll look pretty sweet with my black and gray accents.