PDA

View Full Version : Had it stolen! I think.

jjsosnowski
05-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Sat. put boat in water at public ramp. Went up river for the afternoon. When taking boat out,noticed missing brake lights on trailer.I don't think It cound of fell out because of the rubber mount.Brand new trailer.Only second time I used it.Normally boat stays on lift.Has any one ever had this happen to them? I hate light thieves!!!!!!!!!

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 05:56 PM
WOW. what is this world coming too? I can't believe that, lets hope they fell out, but if someone stole them that is a new level of low.

MarkP
05-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Sat. put boat in water at public ramp. Went up river for the afternoon. When taking boat out,noticed missing brake lights on trailer.I don't think It cound of fell out because of the rubber mount.Brand new trailer.Only second time I used it.Normally boat stays on lift.Has any one ever had this happen to them? I hate light thieves!!!!!!!!!
You know its funny you should say that. The same thing crossed my mind as I was replacing a marker light that had "fallen off"

TEX P205
05-11-2005, 06:41 PM
I had touble with one of my trailer lights coming out everytime I launched/loaded my boat. Eventually had to buy a new light, hasn't fallen off since. I have an older trailer ('97). That would be a weird thing to steel.

bradamerry
05-11-2005, 06:53 PM
Sorry to hear this dude.... :mad:

My best friends dad had the whole trailer stolen once.. Just unhooked it from his truck while he was fishing.. :eek: He called me and I went and unloaded my duck boat in his little pond, so I could go get him!!!! (boats are the same size) They ever found his trailer. :mad: He now keeps a lock on the new one..

FrankSchwab
05-11-2005, 07:11 PM
That would be a weird thing to steel.

Heck, I came home one day and found someone had stolen the post out from under my mailbox. A 20 year old, 3 foot tall, termite-eaten 4x4 was useful enough to someone that they removed my mailbox, set it on the ground, pulled the post, and left.

That was a head-scratcher. At least I could understand a light - if your sealed brake light burned out, stealing someone else's would save you $10-$20 (or $50 if it's an LED light). But a rotten post?

/frank

Ric
05-11-2005, 07:15 PM
I must add (now that the statute of limitations has probably run out)
As kids, while building a truck of mine for a car show, we noticed at the last minute (night before move in at the astrohall) that the parking light had a crack in the bezel. This would not do for a show, so my brother had the bright idea: go crawl under the neighbor's truck, take his parking lights and replace them with ours. The guy never knew.
Moral of the story is that the decent thing for the theives to do would've been to replace jj's taillights with some bad ones or something.
JEEEZ

jimmer2880
05-11-2005, 07:19 PM
mine fall out of my '95 trailer all the time.

TEX P205
05-11-2005, 07:21 PM
"the decent thing for the theives to do..." by Ric

Never met one of them, I guess you are the only one.

Ric
05-11-2005, 07:22 PM
"the decent thing for the theives to do..." by Ric

Never met one of them, I guess you are the only one.
my victims always get a kiss if that's what you mean

Cloaked
05-11-2005, 08:45 PM
I've had them fall out unexpectedly but have always found it dangling on the wire. Not uncommon at all for a light to come out of its place.

However, thievery is not uncommon either.... :popcorn:

rodltg2
05-11-2005, 10:49 PM
mine were stolen before, i hate thieves, i have also have had my bearing buddies stolen too.

Leroy
05-11-2005, 10:54 PM
I'll go on record I think they just fell out. Believe in your fellow boater!

rodltg2
05-11-2005, 10:57 PM
i'll buy the lights falling out, but the bearing buddies? common takes a hammer to get them off.

Leroy
05-11-2005, 10:57 PM
Rod; I hear you, but that is hard to believe for $20/pair item?

mine were stolen before, i hate thieves, i have also have had my bearing buddies stolen too.

JEREMY79
05-11-2005, 11:01 PM
People will steal anything they can get thier hands on. I had a 12 pk of Coke stolen out of the bed of my truck, At the grocery store. Thieves suck

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 11:02 PM
Then, why do people steal chewing gum? We had a kid arrestted the other day at the store for stealing a single golf ball out of a $90 package. Charged him with the theft of the entire package since we could no longer sell them.

peason
05-11-2005, 11:06 PM
Never had something off the trailer stolen, but a fisherman cut my bow strap once - because we got too close to him on the lake. Not intentional but he was not happy - haven't seen his trailer on that lake since - thank goodness.

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 11:09 PM
good thing for power loading. If you ever see his fishing boat, fill his livewells with sand! That is a real PITA!

LakePirate
05-11-2005, 11:09 PM
Then, why do people steal chewing gum? We had a kid arrestted the other day at the store for stealing a single golf ball out of a $90 package. Charged him with the theft of the entire package since we could no longer sell them.

I have paid $54 a dozen for ProV1s but never seen any assortment of golf balls for 90 bucks. Good God what kind/how many are there?

Leroy
05-11-2005, 11:19 PM
Super Target Special?

I have paid $54 a dozen for ProV1s but never seen any assortment of golf balls for 90 bucks. Good God what kind/how many are there?

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 11:31 PM

It was a callaway golfers starter pack. Something like three styles of golf balls, hat, divot tool, towel, and some other crap. Oh, and a glove.

erkoehler
05-11-2005, 11:32 PM
Super Target Special?

You guys all know you shop at Target! Admit it, Target is better than Walmart :D

jimmer2880
05-12-2005, 05:56 AM
You guys all know you shop at Target! Admit it, Target is better than Walmart :D

Even though the thread was just hijaacked... I'll bite. yes, the merchandise at Target is better than Walmart. But - you just can't beat the trash that hangs out at Walleyworld! My wife & I just roll at the sites we see!

Farmer Ted
05-12-2005, 07:47 AM
my victims always get a kiss if that's what you mean

what about a reach around?

Evan Jones
05-12-2005, 08:00 AM
Back on track here... my lights periodically fall out after the boat is off the trailer and it bounces its way home empty on the rough dirt roads at the lake. They have never fallen out when the boat is on the trailer (rides much smoother) and they are always dangling by the wires.

How far a drive from the ramp to the parking area? Is it a rough trail?

Ric
05-12-2005, 10:44 AM
if your rotors are not setup properly, you will lose bearing buddies on the highway, the'll do it, I've seen em do it.... not a pretty sight.

gregg
05-12-2005, 10:48 AM
I am very sure your lights fell out also. When my dealer met me to demo my new 2002 maristar 210, both lights came out when pulling the trailer out of the water after launching the boat. "Oh yea, those fall out all the time" he said, "just glue them in with silicone". Imagine paying that much money for a new car and having to glue in the tail lights. Don't think that would fly.

Ric
05-12-2005, 10:51 AM
I had trouble with one of the four lites on a 2000 trailer, but when I set it in the housing properly, it stopped falling out.
I think there are two different grooves on that gasket. one works, one let's the lite fall out. (but it was usually hanging from the wires when I got home)

Ric
05-12-2005, 10:52 AM
what about a reach around?
:eek:
He didnt just say that
remember farmer, I'm civilian.
what happens in the barracks is none of my business

tex
05-12-2005, 10:58 AM
My amber lights come loose all the time. they just hang. I can tell you some stories about people stealing stupid chit!

Leroy
05-12-2005, 11:18 AM
Target needs to boost up their in store photo processing. That is why I go to Wally now (but I do prefer Target). Take over the digital pix in the morning and by 4PM you pick up the prints in whatever sizes you want.

erkoehler
05-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Target needs to boost up their in store photo processing. That is why I go to Wally now (but I do prefer Target). Take over the digital pix in the morning and by 4PM you pick up the prints in whatever sizes you want.

The majority of the Target stores are going through a rebuild currently to update the photo processing equipment. I know I just had some FREE ones done for "training" and they turned out great.

jimmer2880
05-16-2005, 06:12 AM
In my case - I blame my falling lights on the water rushing to the rear of my trailer (inside the frame tubing). It needs to go somewhere & the light is in it's way.

In a couple years I'm going to need to re-paint it. Maybe then, I'll weld in some baffels to take the blunt of the force.

Farmer Ted
05-16-2005, 07:43 AM
:eek:
He didnt just say that
remember farmer, I'm civilian.
what happens in the barracks is none of my business

Easy Ric,

I'm not in the Navy....

kdtechnologyinc
08-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Many of the MC trailers have the same problem; when loading and unloading the boat, the trailer frame fills with water and driving up the ramp causes the water pressure inside the frame to push out the brake lights.
When I would go to the rear of the boat to raise the speedo tubes I noticed one or both lights hanging by the wires.
It may be that this happened to you and then fell off while towing.
I bought new lights and swapped gaskets and still had the same problem, but mostly on one side. The cause is the opening is a little bit too large. Tried double sticky tape and it just got gooey and the light(s) still fell out.
Then I found the cure.
Remove the lights and gaskets.
Take 1 or 2 fat rubber bands and wrap them around the gasket where it contacts the frame opening.
When you reinstall the gaskets and lights you should immediately notice the lenses fit more tightly in the gaskets.
Now I still check the lights even though it fixed the problem just to be sure and in case the rubber bands deteriorate.
A more permanent fix is to have a muffler shop weld a small amount into the opening along the bottom edge.

Ric
08-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Sat. put boat in water at public ramp. Went up river for the afternoon. When taking boat out,noticed missing brake lights on trailer.I don't think It cound of fell out because of the rubber mount.Brand new trailer.Only second time I used it.Normally boat stays on lift.Has any one ever had this happen to them? I hate light thieves!!!!!!!!! is it an mc trailer? if so, it probably was no thief..... the lights are often found hanging from their wires when mc trailers arrive at their destination. I have experience with a half dozen different mc trailers over 6 years and have seen it happen on all 6

never let it bother me, but it does seem like something is wrong that they can fall out. other brands may have this problem but I have not experienced it

erkoehler
08-09-2006, 10:55 PM
Issues been solved guys, this is a REALLY old thread.

Ric
08-09-2006, 10:58 PM
not solved on my 05 trailer erk

Ric
08-09-2006, 10:59 PM
wanna hear about my trailer erk?

Kevin Hickey
08-10-2006, 11:25 AM
This spring someone stole the bow light off my 197. Easy to replace and install. Pain to re-wire.

captain planet
08-10-2006, 11:46 AM
This might be an old thread, however I could have posted this last year when this started.

One of the guys at our boat club had someone steal the exhaust baffles off the back of his 1997 PS190 early in the spring before a lot of people were up there. He asked me if I did it to play a joke on him, which I didn't.