PDA

View Full Version : Yet another Ebay Question.

alletric
01-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I was wondering how you guys handle this situation. I know what the Ebay rules are but this is the senario. I enter a bid of 2000 dollars on an item with a reserve of 1500. So I am winning the auction with a bid of 1501. With 5 minutes left a new user with zero feedback runs the bid up to win the auction at 2001 dollars. No other bidders just me and him. The next day I get the second chance offer at 2000 my highest bid. Now assuming the the seller did not play a part in this and it was not a scam what do you think you should pay for the item. Of course I think it should be 1501 because without the scam the other bids would never have been made and are not legitimate. Am I wrong? Just wondering what you thought.

JimN
01-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Contact ebay about it.

alletric
01-03-2009, 02:18 PM
Contact ebay about it.

I did and they said that to pay less than the 2000 was circumventing fees going to them. Nevermind the bids were fraudulent. Ebay has never took a stance in my experience with them until it involves shorting them money and then they will.

h2oskiluvr
01-03-2009, 03:04 PM
There is NO way I would pay over 1501 on this. It is very likely a scam to max out the bid. They can't force you to purchase it now so you are in the driver's seat.

JimN
01-03-2009, 03:06 PM
I did and they said that to pay less than the 2000 was circumventing fees going to them. Nevermind the bids were fraudulent. Ebay has never took a stance in my experience with them until it involves shorting them money and then they will.

Have you checked into the "bidder", who in all likelihood is either a shill or may be the seller, himself? Tell him that you're not comfortable with how the auction went and have them contact the "bidder" about this.

ejg333
01-03-2009, 03:55 PM
I have had the same thing happen to me on tower speakers IMHO it's a scam with the seller they have a amount they want but have a low auction price to bring people in then at the last minute they outbid you with a dummy account. and of course ebay doesnt want to lose commision money. just like the coupons they give me that I am unable to redeme.

alletric
01-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Have you checked into the "bidder", who in all likelihood is either a shill or may be the seller, himself? Tell him that you're not comfortable with how the auction went and have them contact the "bidder" about this.

Agreed. The only way I could ever feel comfortable about this is to pay the 1501. It just blows my mind that Ebay thinks that you should honor your high bid when the opposing bid was fake. They aren't worried about the fake bid nearly as much ad me paying top dollar. I offered the 1501 and left it at that and Ebay and the seller said that I was not acting in good faith becaue I wouldn't pay my top bid. That is why I was wondering what you guys thought to see if I was wacked in my way of thinking.

WTRSK1R
01-03-2009, 05:21 PM
If the seller really wants the 2000, then he should get ebay to pursue the "other" bidder. If neither the seller or ebay are willing to pursue the bogus bidder, then they should both be happy that a successful transaction occurred at $1501.00. Just my 2 cents.

jimmer2880
01-03-2009, 06:46 PM
speaking of ebay scams... Wife purchased a "buy it now" item (snow ski jacket for our daughter). 6 days later, seller says "sorry - we sold the item in our store first - here's your money back".

Realizing that we aren't out any money, it really T'd us off that someone is essentially commiting fraud by selling an item they don't have. Ebay doesn't seem to care, even though we reported it to them. You would think that they would care, since they are out $$$'s.

I'm soo fed up with fleaBay again.

TX.X-30 fan
01-03-2009, 07:46 PM
Items get bid up all the time right at the end when the seller has a good fish on the line. Its fleabay what can you do?

I have had great luck on there but you have to be patient and when you see that BS walk away.

jaysus
01-03-2009, 08:30 PM
I was wondering how you guys handle this situation. I know what the Ebay rules are but this is the senario. I enter a bid of 2000 dollars on an item with a reserve of 1500. So I am winning the auction with a bid of 1501. With 5 minutes left a new user with zero feedback runs the bid up to win the auction at 2001 dollars. No other bidders just me and him. The next day I get the second chance offer at 2000 my highest bid. Now assuming the the seller did not play a part in this and it was not a scam what do you think you should pay for the item. Of course I think it should be 1501 because without the scam the other bids would never have been made and are not legitimate. Am I wrong? Just wondering what you thought.

Understand your feelings about the bids being run up as it happens all the time, and the bidder will withdraw with an "administrative reason".

Bottom line is, on the day the auction was set to end, if I read your post correctly you did bid $2,000.00 on the item. Which means you felt the item was worth $2000.

Whether or not you were competing with someone else, you did put 2k, therefore the seller is asking if your bid was good.

alletric
01-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Understand your feelings about the bids being run up as it happens all the time, and the bidder will withdraw with an "administrative reason".

Bottom line is, on the day the auction was set to end, if I read your post correctly you did bid $2,000.00 on the item. Which means you felt the item was worth $2000.

Whether or not you were competing with someone else, you did put 2k, therefore the seller is asking if your bid was good.

I hear what you are saying and can not argue with your point. My question is, if it was you personally, what would you do?

TX.X-30 fan
01-03-2009, 08:57 PM
I would ask is the seller is offering any Cash Rewards?

The guy is a crook like some there and unless you want this item for 2 grand tell then to you know.

Expected advice from haysus

scott023
01-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I can see where allectric is coming from... this has happened to me as well (1 other bidder who won item but did not pay for it). I took the same stance as you did and contacted ebay, but after an investigation I was given the "second chance" to purchase the item at my opening bid... I assume they found that the seller put in the bid to jack up the price. Do you know if ebay actually investigated you case?

agua4fun
01-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Dont do it. Its right on Ebays FAQ

http://reviews.ebay.com/EBAY-SCAMS-SECOND-CHANCE-OFFER-HOW-TO-IDENTIFY-THIS_W0QQugidZ10000000001398410

Besides, if no one else bid, tell him to put it back up for auction and you will give it another go.

jaysus
01-04-2009, 01:49 PM
I hear what you are saying and can not argue with your point. My question is, if it was you personally, what would you do?

Would ask him to re-list and start over if you feel you can obtain for less $$.

Good luck and happy new year.

Iman
01-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Allectric, unless I really wanted the item and $2k was a good deal, I would NOT pick up the second chance offer. Actually the system will auto give the high bidder a second chance even if you just get close enough to the reserve. So without this other bidder and if you had bid around $1350 the system would have given you a second chance after the auction end to buy at $1350.

This seller will probably place the item back on Ebay. Now you know around where he'll place his reserve. Bid lower and you'll probably still get the item.

I've gotten great deals off ebay. But I've won auctions a few times and didn't get my item. The sellers did not take any money from me but one even got mad and gave me negative feedback for my negative feedback claiming the deal was fine since I was refunded. Then she said she'd take off my negative feedback if I took off hers. The system has changed now so sellers can't do that. Funny enough, the other time I won the bid on a jetski and the seller just disappeared after our initial contact. He just didn't want to honor my low winning bid.

Muttley
01-05-2009, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a classic seller scam to me as well.

Since you asked, I would offer the original $1501. If he refused, I would walk away on principle. Let him put it back on ebay, then not bid on it.

If this guy wants to play this kind of game, there's no guaranty what shape the item is in. He's breached your trust. IMO he can eat it.

The only thing that MIGHT change my mind is if it was one screamin' deal on a very rare item. Then it's about what the item is worth to you. There will be other deals.

alletric
01-05-2009, 12:27 PM
I can see where allectric is coming from... this has happened to me as well (1 other bidder who won item but did not pay for it). I took the same stance as you did and contacted ebay, but after an investigation I was given the "second chance" to purchase the item at my opening bid... I assume they found that the seller put in the bid to jack up the price. Do you know if ebay actually investigated you case?

Yes and there was no proof that he was the bogus bidder. Therefore they want me to pay my "highest" bid. I have already passed on it but was wondering If I was wrong.