PDA

View Full Version : Anyone convert ballast system to 2007-2009 configuration?

prostar205
01-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I have a 2002 X30 with the ballast sytem that incorporates the manifold directly behind the rudder box. There is one inlet for the water to go into this manifold and then the water branches out to the three ballast pumps. It takes me 40 minutes to fill my 2 - 750lb bags and 1 - 500lb center ski locker bag. I have tried everything to get it fill quicker. I was at my local MC dealer (great bunch of guys) and talked to them about converting the system to remove the manifold and direct feed each pump with seperate inlets from the bottom of the boat. The water would also discharge out the bottom, just like the current KGB systems.

I am wondering if anyone on this board have attempt this conversion. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks...

1boarder
01-03-2009, 12:00 PM
My 2006 x1 had the manifolds and I put almost 2500 lbs in roughly 15 minutes. I think before you dive into this project you should make sure eveything is good in your current system. Two things that come to mind are make sure your pump impellers are in great shape. Old ones will slow you down greatly. MC increased the size of the wiring since your boat. Others had issues with the smaller wiring, but I can't remember if it improved pump speed. I know it improved the power of the pump to reverse the impellers from fill to empty (some would kick out when reversing direction).

I am assuming you have the jabsco pumps. They should hit close to 10 gpm (minus some for losses) You should be hitting 75 lbs a minute (9gphx8.3lb/hr). At your rate you are pumping 2 gal/hr (750 lbs in 40 min) That is way off the mark. Maybe something is restricting the flow. Unhook the current hoses and look around. You may have looked at these sugestions already, if you have good luck.

prostar205
01-03-2009, 09:34 PM
My 2006 x1 had the manifolds...

My boat only has one manifold. Does your have more than one?

Just to clarify, it takes :40 minutes to fill 2,000 lbs (2-750s, 1-500).

What AWG wire is run to your pumps? I think mine is 14 AWG - it seems pretty thick.

I have tried the yellow impellers but they were just too soft and did not create enough of a head of water to work. I also increased the tubing feeding each sac from 3/4" to 1".

I am out of ideas.

1boarder
01-04-2009, 12:39 AM
don't have the 06 any more, but it was one manifold for 3 pumps. The lines going to the pumps were 1 inch and I think the main line was 2.5 inches (stress I think). What size is your main line feeding the manifold. Is it 1 inch or smaller. This could be an issue if it is too small.

you are running all three at the same time, right? Are you reving the engine up a little. I can hear my pumps speed up drastically.

Maybe you should unhook the lines from the manifold and put each pump in a 5 gal bucket and see how fast they can pump not pulling though the manifold. Maybe something is stuck in the manifold. I still can't believe that you can only get 2.2 gpm out of each pump currently without there being something wrong.

there is one other thing that may give you trouble. Air. Does it discharge out the sides of the boat. If it does, it has check vavles on the lines out of the sides. If they get stuck partially open, the pumps will pull air in from the vents (less resistance than water) and you will pump mostly air and a little water. I don't know your boat, but if you don't have discharges out the side, you could still have a hole in a suction line allowing air to be pulled in and cutting the water flow down.

That is all I got. Keep on looking, I still can't believe you can only get 2.2 gpm (per pump) of flow unles somethng is wrong. good luck

Jerseydave
01-04-2009, 12:25 PM
On my '05 X-star, my large inlet hose had a small pinhole in it. It was near the manifold end of the hose so I was able to cut it shorter and it was still long enough to reconnect to manifold. I didn't have any problems filling my stock ballast + (2) 400# sacs in the rear even with that pinhole.

Stock black impellers should pump faster than the yellow ones. Someone on here actually polished the insides of their pumps so they would spin faster and/or with less resistance, you may want to try that. For sure raise engine idle speed while filling and check the size of your wires (I usually idle around in gear at around 1000rpm's while filling my ballast.) Did you make sure the ball valve is wide open? Check for restrictions in the ball valve and intake hose.

When working properly, the single manifold system should be fine. I would shy away from 3 seperate intakes.

prostar205
01-04-2009, 02:34 PM
Someone on here actually polished the insides of their pumps so they would spin faster and/or with less resistance, you may want to try that.

njskier - that was me. I took all three pumps out of the boat and polished the insides where the impellers ride and also the tops of the lids. I agree with you that the black impellers pull more water than the yellow ones. I have three yellow impellers that are virtually new and I will not put them back in. They're for sale if anyone wants them. I heard there was a new blue impeller that was softer than the black ones but not as soft as the yellow ones.

What AWG wire should be running to the pumps? I think mine are 14 AWG. Can anyone clarify this for me.

As for shying away from 3 separate intakes - I think this would be the method since it is how the current MC system works. I was in a X-45 at the end of the summer and they pumped 1,000 lbs of ballast in less than 5 minutes. I can only run 1 pump at a time on my system because the strongest pump robs the other two of water.

1boarder
01-04-2009, 04:13 PM
my 08 x2 has 10 guage wire. It steps down to 14 guage wire right at the pump (the quick dissconect). The intake comes in the boat and basically has a manifold built in to it. 3 different 1" lines leave this going to the pumps.

What size is your line going to the manifold?

Have you eliminated the check valves that would allow air to be pulled in (the discharge lines)? The "strong pump" may not be stronger, but may be farther away that the line that has an check valve leaking by.

Have you confirmed that the check valve between the through hull and manifold is open and not plugged.

prostar205
01-04-2009, 11:43 PM
my 08 x2 has 10 guage wire. It steps down to 14 guage wire right at the pump (the quick dissconect).

I went to the boat today and the wire is 14 AWG going from the switches all the way to the pumps.

What size is your line going to the manifold?
The hose going from the pick up to the manifold is 1" ID. It has a 90 deg ball valve and then a one-way check valve before it goes to the manifold.

Have you eliminated the check valves that would allow air to be pulled in (the discharge lines)?
None of my three ballast bag vent lines have check valves on them.

Have you confirmed that the check valve between the through hull and manifold is open and not plugged.
I replaced it 2 years ago but I have not checked to see if it plugged. Good idea - that will be next on the list.

1boarder
01-05-2009, 12:08 AM
You were probably on to it first with the line to the manifold. 1 inch is too small for a theoretical 30 gpm total flow (with additional losses from a check valve). My x1 setup had a 2 or 2.5 inch line going to the manifold (I forget, but it was definitly bigger than 1 inch). The quickest fix may be getting the through hull that they are putting on the boats now. Each pump gets its own 1 inch line from there and it is only one hole in the boat (with a valve already built in) This would do away with all the check vavles and simplify the system to filling and discharging out of the bottom.

prostar205
01-05-2009, 12:16 AM
When I was at my dealer over the weekend, I looked at an X35 setup. They had two thru-hull fittings. This is where the water entered and exited the system. I could not see the diameter of the hoses running from these thru-hull fittings because I did not have a flashlight. I'm going to make another trip back to the dealership this week. However, if I am sucessful in getting a larger thru-hull fitting, I still have the 1" restriction inlet at the manifold (I really don't like that manifold). Any ideas?

prostar205
01-06-2009, 12:29 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP

Does anyone else have anything to add to this thread?

TallRedRider
01-07-2009, 04:54 PM
BUMP BUMP BUMP

Does anyone else have anything to add to this thread?

It is not much, but here goes...

My buddy's 08 X15 has a problem with the ballast emptying on its own. We boarded for about an hour and the tanks were nearly half empty. I flipped on the pumps and it was several minutes before they were full again. I noticed it because I flipped through the VDIG and accidentally got to the ballast guage screen and saw the tanks were no longer full.

From an aesthetics point, I think a boat should discharge over the side (like a man) and not from the bottom (like a woman). The 08 discharges out the bottom, so you only know the tanks are empty by looking at the guages. So I like the 06 setup on my X-45. It has a one way valve that stops the water from leaking out of the tanks and I know when the tanks are empty because I hear the water stop 'peeing' out over the side.