PDA

View Full Version : Computer Question...............

Mag_Red
01-02-2009, 07:59 PM
Is there an easy way to extract files from another hard drive??? I have an old PC that I would like to get some files from.:confused: Not sure if it will boot up due to possible viral infection

Skipper
01-02-2009, 08:08 PM
I had a lap top that failed the table drop test. A friend loaned me a portable hard drive like those that are sold as storage units. He removed the storage hard drive and put my lap top hard drive in the housing. Then, using a software program (cant remember what it was called) I was able to recover all of the files from the broken lap top.

Gonzo
01-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Try to get it to boot up in safe mode, heres instructions. If you can get it to do that then yes you can get the stuff off it.

If Windows XP is the only operating system installed on your computer, booting into Safe Mode with these instructions.

If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
Ensure that the Safe mode option is selected.
Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Gonzo
01-02-2009, 08:16 PM
mag if it does boot you want to be careful, if you move the wrong file over you could infect the new PC. If you can get it to come up then go to this site and post a message to get help cleaning your machine, the instructions are here. They helped me when my wife opened an infecting Zip file.

Here is the instruction sticky,
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showtopic=13639

Once you pull the hijack this log you will post it here and then wait for someone to help you clear the machine.
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?showforum=36

Once Clean then you can move stuff one of a few ways, by setting up a sharing session on your house network or physically taking the hard drive out and putting it in the new PC, the easiest for me is to just get a 2 gig Memory stick *flash Drive* that goes in your USB, put what you want on it and then move it to the new PC.

bbymgr
01-02-2009, 08:30 PM
Your PC should have 2 IDE channels inside. Each channel has 2 inputs(a Master, and a Slave). Your existing hard drive will be hooked up to the IDE 1 Master slot. Your CD,DVD rom drives will be hooked into other slots. As long as you don't have more than 3 other drives, then you have a space available to hook that hard drive into as a slave. If you hook this drive up as a slave, then your PC wont recognize the OS and just see it as a back up drive. You then can run Norton's on the extra drive before bringing anything onto your main drive. After that you just drag and drop what you want.

JimN
01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
If it has an IDE drive (instead of the newer SATA), you can get a cable that lets you connect that drive to another computer's USB port. It has a separate power cable and once it's connected, it appears to the computer as just another mass storage device, like a card reader, external drive, etc. Then, you can put the cursor over the icon, right click and scroll to Scan selected files with xxxx (whatever your anti-virus is). Then, you can double click to open the drive and drag & drop whatever you want.

Mag_Red
01-02-2009, 09:17 PM
If it has an IDE drive (instead of the newer SATA), you can get a cable that lets you connect that drive to another computer's USB port. It has a separate power cable and once it's connected, it appears to the computer as just another mass storage device, like a card reader, external drive, etc. Then, you can put the cursor over the icon, right click and scroll to Scan selected files with xxxx (whatever your anti-virus is). Then, you can double click to open the drive and drag & drop whatever you want.I just tried to boot the older PC........no luck.......even in safe mode.........I may just yank the hard drive and try the cable Jim sugested.

ski_king
01-02-2009, 10:12 PM
If it has an IDE drive (instead of the newer SATA), you can get a cable that lets you connect that drive to another computer's USB port. It has a separate power cable and once it's connected, it appears to the computer as just another mass storage device, like a card reader, external drive, etc. Then, you can put the cursor over the icon, right click and scroll to Scan selected files with xxxx (whatever your anti-virus is). Then, you can double click to open the drive and drag & drop whatever you want.

I have a simular problem with an old computer and was going to add old hard drive as second drive in newer computer but cabeling was different.

Didn't know a cable was available. Does this one (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1472797&CatId=3770) look like it will work?

bbymgr
01-02-2009, 10:47 PM
I have a simular problem with an old computer and was going to add old hard drive as second drive in newer computer but cabeling was different.

Didn't know a cable was available. Does this one (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1472797&CatId=3770) look like it will work?

That cable will work, or you could get a case like this http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=NS-384S&cat=HDD. That way you can use it as an external drive and just plug it in either USB or Cat5.

BriEOD
01-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Had the same issue and did what JimN suggested. Just go to an electronics store and you can get a housing and cable to plug it into your other machine. Perform a virus scan and voila. As a consolation, you now have extra storage space. Just reformat the old drive.

Mag_Red
01-14-2009, 04:57 PM

Didn't know a cable was available. Does this one (http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1472797&CatId=3770) look like it will work?OK ordered the cable, just got it, plugged everything in as instructed, but my PC, running on Windows XP, doesn't show the device when I look in "My Computer" ???????????????????? Any suggestions??? Looked in device manager.............tried "installing new hardware" NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:confused:

JimN
01-14-2009, 05:13 PM
That looks like the one. Ask them if it will work on a SATA drive, too. That way, you'll be covered for future use since IDE is just about dead.

beef
01-14-2009, 05:33 PM
OK ordered the cable, just got it, plugged everything in as instructed, but my PC, running on Windows XP, doesn't show the device when I look in "My Computer" ???????????????????? Any suggestions??? Looked in device manager.............tried "installing new hardware" NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:confused:

Go this from the TigerDirect site. Not sure if it will help, but it's all I've got. :)

After you plug in the drive, run c:\windows\system32\compmgmt.msc and go to Disk Management. You should see a disk listed as Dynamic and Offline. If not then click on Action - Rescan Disks. When the disk shows up right click on it and click Reactivate Disk. The first time you do this you might actually have to click Import Foreign Disks. Don't worry it won't partition and/or format the disk. This should allow any hard drive to work on the system as long as it is set to master. Unfortunately, you have to do this whenever you connect a hard drive it seems.

JimN
01-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Restart the computer. Also, make sure the notch and index mark line up or the pins won't be assigned correctly.

Jimmauburn
01-14-2009, 05:49 PM
You need to make sure you look on the jumpers on the end of the hard drive and make sure that the one you are trying to read is set to be a slave drive. If not you could get a conflict with the main hard drive and it won't read it or show it as a second drive.

Mag_Red
01-14-2009, 07:53 PM
You need to make sure you look on the jumpers on the end of the hard drive and make sure that the one you are trying to read is set to be a slave drive. If not you could get a conflict with the main hard drive and it won't read it or show it as a second drive.That's why I love this place! Been so long since I farted around wth PC's I forgot about the jumper setting:rolleyes: I'll try changing them and see if it works

Mag_Red
01-14-2009, 08:02 PM
well that wasn't it either...............maybe I'll try it on the Laptop with Vista:rolleyes:

JimN
01-14-2009, 08:04 PM
It may or may not be necessary to change the jumper. I never had to whenever I have used my adaptor and my laptops both recognized it immediately. I run XP on my newest laptop,XP Pro on teh desktop and Windows 2000 on the old one laptop. Did your adaptor come with a power cable and supply?

Mag_Red
01-14-2009, 10:28 PM
It may or may not be necessary to change the jumper. I never had to whenever I have used my adaptor and my laptops both recognized it immediately. I run XP on my newest laptop,XP Pro on teh desktop and Windows 2000 on the old one laptop. Did your adaptor come with a power cable and supply?yeah I have a power supply,,,,,,didn't work on the Vista machine either after setting it up as a slave drive:confused::confused: Freakin Computers!

beef
01-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Info on the TigerDirect site says the drive must be jumpered as a master to be used on the usb cable, not as a slave or cs (cable select). The usual master/slave relationship won't exist, because it's not really on your computer's IDE controller.

I've never tried one of these, but did it come with any special drivers?

bigmac
01-15-2009, 08:11 AM
If it were me (and it has been), my approach is to just get a USB/IDE adapter. I've never had a problem with getting the bad drive to come up as an external immediately available in My Computer. If you suspect a virus, I would definitely run a virus program on that drive before transferring any files.

I use a different device, but same concept. It allows you to hook up any bare 2.5, 3.5, or SATA drive to your USB port, and it provides a separate power supply. Many or most of the 3.5 inch drives won't spin up well enough on just USB power.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3276554&csid=_25

http://images.tigerdirect.com/itemdetails/ULT40112/ULT40112-call01-sp.jpg

Also note that you could then wipe and reformat your bad drive and use it, or any other drive you have sitting around, as an external for backup or any other sort of off-computer storage. I have several 3.5 inch IDE drives that have come out of old computers, or have been bought cheaply with rebates and I use them for additional file backups.

Mag_Red
01-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Info on the TigerDirect site says the drive must be jumpered as a master to be used on the usb cable, not as a slave or cs (cable select). The usual master/slave relationship won't exist, because it's not really on your computer's IDE controller.

I've never tried one of these, but did it come with any special drivers?no drivers supplied........I'll take some pics of everything...........how it's hooked up etc. Maybe some one will be able to suggest something

JimN
01-15-2009, 09:30 AM
In the third photo from the top, on the left side, the adaptor shows a raised bump in the middle. This was mated to the notch in the drive's socket, right?

bigmac
01-15-2009, 11:27 AM
In the third photo from the top, on the left side, the adaptor shows a raised bump in the middle. This was mated to the notch in the drive's socket, right?Yes, it indexes with that notch to orient the IDE connector.

I use this type of drive adapter all the time. Basically, it's a USB drive enclosure without the enclosure. The one I use is from Wiebetech and has the advantage (to me) of being able to use Firewire as well as USB 2.0. The other thing is that it's utterly reliable. By the same token, it's pretty expensive.

http://www.wiebetech.com/fonts/thumb.php?h=350&w=350&sf=/images/products//FireWire_DriveDock_v4_TM//&pic=v4_FireWire_DriveDock_and_Drive.jpg

M-Funf
01-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Mag,
I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. My Dell desktop machine died. I pulled the hard drive and scrapped the machine.

My IT guy told me to get one of these. It was plug and play for the most part, except that I had to re-assign ownership of the drive to get into all the folders I needed to.

NexStar USB external Drive enclosure (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145133&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-N82E16817145133)

Mag_Red
01-15-2009, 12:08 PM
Mag,
I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. My Dell desktop machine died. I pulled the hard drive and scrapped the machine.

My IT guy told me to get one of these. It was plug and play for the most part, except that I had to re-assign ownership of the drive to get into all the folders I needed to.

NexStar USB external Drive enclosure (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817145133&nm_mc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel&cm_mmc=TEMC-RMA-Approvel-_-Content-_-text-_-N82E16817145133)

43700I'm beginning to think the problem is the Hard drive isn't spooling up...........if that is the proper term...........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

M-Funf
01-15-2009, 12:10 PM
I'm beginning to think the problem is the Hard drive isn't spooling up...........if that is the proper term...........grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

The enclosure I bought has it's own power supply to spin the drive up. I don't know if a USB port has enough oomph to spin the drive, does it?

Mag_Red
01-15-2009, 12:28 PM
The enclosure I bought has it's own power supply to spin the drive up. I don't know if a USB port has enough oomph to spin the drive, does it?My adapter is the same one that Big Mac shows in post #21, the one for a 3.5 drive. It has a power supply:confused:

bigmac
01-15-2009, 12:33 PM
The enclosure I bought has it's own power supply to spin the drive up. I don't know if a USB port has enough oomph to spin the drive, does it?
It will for a 2.5 inch drive, and some of the older 5400 RPM 3.5" drives can hack it at 5 volts, but most modern drives need more juice than that and can't get enough power out of the USB bus.

Mag_Red
01-15-2009, 12:38 PM
It will for a 2.5 inch drive, and some of the older 5400 RPM 3.5" drives can hack it at 5 volts, but most modern drives need more juice than that and can't get enough power out of the USB bus.I see that this power converter is rated at DC 5V, 1.5A/12V, 1.5A and the Western Digital drive is 5VDC===0.66A :confused:

bigmac
01-15-2009, 01:29 PM
I see that this power converter is rated at DC 5V, 1.5A/12V, 1.5A and the Western Digital drive is 5VDC===0.66A :confused:
Yes, the external power supply should be enough to get the drive spinning sufficiently fast to read. I was referring to trying to power a 3.5 inch drive from the USB port. Unit load for USB 2.0 is spec'd at 100 mA.

If you're using an IDE-USB adapter with external power supply and your drive isn't showing up, and especially if you're not hearing the drive spin up, you may have a dead drive rather than just a corrupted boot sector.

Mag_Red
01-15-2009, 02:16 PM
Yes, the external power supply should be enough to get the drive spinning sufficiently fast to read. I was referring to trying to power a 3.5 inch drive from the USB port. Unit load for USB 2.0 is spec'd at 100 mA.

If you're using an IDE-USB adapter with external power supply and your drive isn't showing up, and especially if you're not hearing the drive spin up, you may have a dead drive rather than just a corrupted boot sector.In that case all info would be lost I assume/?

PS.205
01-15-2009, 02:21 PM
In that case all info would be lost I assume/?

No. There are some companies that can get your information off of the hard drive. Google hard drive data recovery.

M-Funf
01-15-2009, 02:31 PM
No. There are some companies that can get your information off of the hard drive. Google hard drive data recovery.

True, there are. But do they guarantee they can recover? If they can't do you still pay? I'm sure it aint cheap :confused:

PS.205
01-15-2009, 02:37 PM
True, there are. But do they guarantee they can recover? If they can't do you still pay? I'm sure it aint cheap :confused:

I'm not sure about the guarantee. I'm sure it depends on the company. They are not cheap at all!! My sister-in-law used a company to recover the kids pictures after her drive crashed and I think it cost just under $800.

Mag_Red
01-15-2009, 02:40 PM
I'm not sure about the guarantee. I'm sure it depends on the company. They are not cheap at all!! My sister-in-law used a company to recover the kids pictures after her drive crashed and I think it cost just under $800.
Yikes! Ain't worth that much...........I'll play with it some more.....maybe I just need more POWER!!!!!!!!!! Tim Allen hard drive booting:D

PS.205
01-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Yikes! Ain't worth that much...........I'll play with it some more.....maybe I just need more POWER!!!!!!!!!! Tim Allen hard drive booting:D

What happened when you tried to boot from it? I would try to install it into your computer and see if it spins.

starrski
01-15-2009, 02:55 PM
I suggest you don't try booting from the same drive again. You might end up having it run SCANDISK and then you create a whole new set of issues if it goes ahead and corrects errors. You can make an image copy of the drive with the manufacturers utility if you want to mess around that way so you can at least get back to where you are now.

Your best bet will be to put the old PC drive into a newer computer as a slave (i.e. a secondary or non-bootable drive) Then you will have full access to the drive - - unless the drive won't spin up at all then you have a hardware issue.

If the drive won't spin up at all, either the drive is toast... or quite often it is the PC's power supply is no longer strong enough to allow the drive to spin and boot. This is common, especially if you have done any add-ons that suck power. Oftentimes when this is going on, you don't even get the WINDOWS logo screen. You can try and disconnect the power cord to your add in drives to get to a bare bones system to see if it will boot. You can also try see if the drive is spinning by going into PC SYSTEM SETUP mode when you boot up, at the startup before the windows image It is often F12 for many of the manufacturers. This is not SAFE MODE, but is running off the internal bios of the hardware before any windows OS is loaded. This setup will show system configuration, and if no hard drive shows up, it is not spinning. If it shows up, it will tell you if it is operable/working properly. But it is easier to just trying getting the drive to work in another system.

You can also go to the website for the hard drive manufacturer (western digital, seagate, etc.) and can download a drive utility that allows you to create a bootable CD that you can use to copy files from one disk to another without using the windows operating system.

Get the stuff off your drive, then worry about running virus software to make sure the transferred files are clean.

Mag_Red
01-15-2009, 03:47 PM
What happened when you tried to boot from it? I would try to install it into your computer and see if it spins.It makes some clicking sounds, but nothing else

M-Funf
01-15-2009, 04:01 PM
It makes some clicking sounds, but nothing else

Maybe you could attach a dremel to it and spin it up manually :rolleyes:

Mag_Red
01-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Maybe you could attach a dremel to it and spin it up manually :rolleyes:
would that really work???:D

M-Funf
01-15-2009, 04:05 PM

That's what Tim Allen would do...;)

JimN
01-15-2009, 06:19 PM
Since the separate power supply is what spins the HD, grab your multi-meter and make sure you have voltage on the red and/or yellow wires, referenced to the black. Could be a bad adaptor or power supply

JimN
01-15-2009, 06:19 PM

Sure, it'll work. Once.

bigmac
01-15-2009, 07:07 PM
It makes some clicking sounds, but nothing elseAh. Clicking sounds. Often referred to as "the click of death".

TMCNo1
01-15-2009, 07:09 PM
Geek Squad!