PDA

View Full Version : Upholstery Stains / Need Your Help!!

Jim
01-02-2009, 01:04 PM
Team,

Need your help!

I have an 04 X10 with light grey upholstery. My wife decided to store the kids wrapped Chriistmas presents in the boat fo a few weeks until santa arrived on the 25th. I had just recently cleaned the upholstery and finished it off with 303.
Well.... when it came time to put the gifts under the tree I noticed the dye from the wrapping paper bled into the light grey upholstery!!! I have tried Fantastic, Liquid Tide, Shout, WD40 and Magic Erasure to lift the stains with no success. The stains have not even faded.
ANY suggestions on what to try next???

A friend suggested swipping the stain with brake cleaner on a white terry cloth towel but I'm afraid this will ruin the longevity of the vynl.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!!!

JK

russlars
01-02-2009, 03:29 PM
I had a similar thing occur only it was a stain from one of those red sticks on a bottle rocket that landed on my seat. I tried various things including many of those you listed with no success. Surprisingly, after sitting in the sun for a few trips out, the stain just disappeared! Just my :twocents:

TX.X-30 fan
01-02-2009, 05:41 PM
Oak sticks and the pollen pods stain like crazy, but as russlers said goes away with the sun.

JohnnyB
01-02-2009, 08:33 PM
For blood stains, I used paper towl soaked in peroxide with a layer of saran wrap over the top of it to keep it moist for a couple days while it soaked in and did the work of removing the stain.

You may try a solvent with this method.

The blood was from my nephew's foot....cut it on zebra muscles.....

east tx skier
01-02-2009, 10:22 PM
At this point, if sunlight doesn't do anything, you may as well get aggressive. Fantastik is no longer very good for your vinyl since they changed the formula. Since you've already used it, you may just say screw it and get nasty with those stains. A lot of times, the thing to watch out for with these cleaners is that they don't dissolve your threads and seams. Have you tried G&T vinyl cleaner? I hear good things.

Justjoe
01-02-2009, 11:24 PM
My wife and I had just finished a triathalon last year, and decided to spend the afternoon recouping on the back of the boat. Of course, being all hard core and all, we decided (failed) to leave the black numbers that were written on our legs and arms on...well, our legs and arms. As I'm sure you're imagining, they transposed themselves, in reverse of course, onto the sun deck of the boat. I tried EVERYTHING to clean them off to no avail, yet by the end of the season...no marks. The sun may provide you a free pass for your indiscretions.

j2nh
01-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Mineral spirits and if that fails hair spray (does a good job on ink). Mineral spirits was recommended to me by the manufacturer of a cover that stained my brand new 95 ProStar and it did the trick. Hair spray is very aggressive, not sure what the chemical in it is that removes ink, but no doubt it will be tough on you vinyl.

sand2snow22
01-03-2009, 12:42 AM
UV rays + 4

atlfootr
01-23-2009, 09:22 AM
Here's "The Man" ... Upholstery

Jim - "Upholstery Guy" :wavey:
(865) 995 0607
(865) 679 2246 cellphn
(call until 10:30pm)

cdevro
02-19-2009, 10:34 PM
My dealer gave me a bottle of ZEP 40. This stuff works on everything including windows! THe smell is great to boot. It seems to bet even the tough black marks out of light interior.

kycat2007
02-19-2009, 10:48 PM
magic eraser ? could that help?

Monte
02-19-2009, 10:59 PM
On vinyl always start with water. A lot of chemicals will set the stain where water would have lifted it. Fantastic is one of the worst. This is the straight word from my upholstry guy.

TOO-TALL
02-19-2009, 11:06 PM
Fantastic is one of the worst. This is the straight word from my upholstry guy.

Really??
Oh great I've used it for awhile.

Monte
02-19-2009, 11:15 PM
Really??
Oh great I've used it for awhile.

He says it will dry your vinyl prematurely because it dissolves the protection a little at a time. As far as stains go it will dilute the stuff it picks up, but "eats" it into the vinyl at the same time.:(

TOO-TALL
02-19-2009, 11:25 PM
Good to know.

No more Fantastic.

Monte
02-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Good to know.

No more Fantastic.

Minor threadjack...

CSM is near.. Start making plans.. Those folks need to see your foiling skills!:cool:

Threadjack over