PDA

View Full Version : L18 winterization? Where is the 'How to'?

TallRedRider
01-01-2009, 11:56 PM
I noticed the site has a section entititled 'winterization' under the technical section. There is only one thread and it really isn't a full technical description of how to winterize anything but the heater and shower.

When I bought my boat, I watched the chief mechanic go through and get all of the water out so that I can then do it myself when the time comes. I already forgot half of it and can't make heads or tails out of my notes so I was looking for a detailed 'How to' on the winterization. I don't have any owner's manuals, why can't I find that information here? Would that be in a manual anyway?

flipper
01-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Here's a link for the manual for your boat....I think. Hope it helps

http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/2006OwnersManual.pdf

If not you may find yours here

http://www.mastercraft.com/knowledge/owners_manuals

JimN
01-02-2009, 07:48 AM
I have a few questions about this if your dealer is less than a few hour drive away-

How far away is your dealer?

Why are you waiting until now to winterize it?

Has your boat been in below-freezing temperatures for more than a couple of days?

TallRedRider
01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I have a few questions about this if your dealer is less than a few hour drive away-

How far away is your dealer?

Why are you waiting until now to winterize it?

Has your boat been in below-freezing temperatures for more than a couple of days?

This is the boat I just bought a month ago. So they drained the motor and such at the dealer and then I took it home. It has been in the garage ever since. Not having had the new boat out has been killer. My general threshold is air temp of 60 degrees, and we have been close to that, so I am dreaming of getting the maiden voyage done.

We might hit a cold snap, so if I take it out, I will need to then drain things afterward. That is why I was looking for a tutorial to refresh my memory on how to do that.

The dealer is 5 hours away.

Flipper, thanks for the links, I will see if they have any good information there.

Chicago190
01-02-2009, 02:07 PM
Are you planning on using the boat every few weeks, or winterize it and put it away until spring?

If you're going to use it every few weeks then all you have to do is drain the block and manifolds, blow out the lines for the heater/shower if you have them, and put it on a battery maintainer. Everything else you should do as part of regular maintenance

If you're putting it away for awhile then you also need to change the oil, transmission fluid if it hasn't been done recently, fog the engine, lubricate cables/shift linkage/throttle linkage, grease steering cable, spray down block with WD40 to prevent rust, and wash/wax it.

JimN
01-02-2009, 08:07 PM
This is the boat I just bought a month ago. So they drained the motor and such at the dealer and then I took it home. It has been in the garage ever since. Not having had the new boat out has been killer. My general threshold is air temp of 60 degrees, and we have been close to that, so I am dreaming of getting the maiden voyage done.

We might hit a cold snap, so if I take it out, I will need to then drain things afterward. That is why I was looking for a tutorial to refresh my memory on how to do that.

The dealer is 5 hours away.

Flipper, thanks for the links, I will see if they have any good information there.

In order,

Bummer

Oh, OK. Did you buy it privately?

YIKES! Sounds like you're dead center of No Man's Land.

east tx skier
01-02-2009, 09:45 PM
www.easttxskier.com/articles

Will be up for about 8 more days.

TallRedRider
01-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Are you planning on using the boat every few weeks, or winterize it and put it away until spring?

If you're going to use it every few weeks then all you have to do is drain the block and manifolds, blow out the lines for the heater/shower if you have them, and put it on a battery maintainer. Everything else you should do as part of regular maintenance

If you're putting it away for awhile then you also need to change the oil, transmission fluid if it hasn't been done recently, fog the engine, lubricate cables/shift linkage/throttle linkage, grease steering cable, spray down block with WD40 to prevent rust, and wash/wax it.

www.easttxskier.com/articles

Will be up for about 8 more days.

I hope that your site will be up for more than 8 days...what's up?

That is a terrific article and way thorough, I bet more than most dealers would do.

I hope to use the boat every few weeks once I start taking her out. We usually get warm snaps that allow this. So I would just drain the engine and not do a full winterization.

I think I might take pics when I do it and then allow you guys on the site to help correct me and refine the thread, then we can post it in the right category and leave it there for others to use as a guide who want to drain the engine and such themselves for some winter riding.