PDA

View Full Version : X2 Ballast ?

MattsCraft
12-31-2008, 12:52 PM
OK all you X2 experts out there, I have a '09 X2 with stock ballast, now that my son is progressing in wakeboarding and ready for a bigger wake I am thinking of adding some more ballast.

Option #1 - Full Fly High Plumbed into stock pumps

A - Concerned about loosing the front Storage compartments
B - Once this is all plumbed in, how do you winterize the bags and stock ballast?

Option #2 - Full Fly High Not Plumbed - Tsunami Pump

A - Concerned about loosing the front Storage compartments
B - Water overflow in compartments, is this a problem?

Option #3 - Add rear trunk bags and center bag - Tsunami Pump

A - This would save the front storage compartments
B - Is climbing over the center bag a pain?
C - Same problem with water overflow in the trunks?

Option #4 - Add Fly High Sacs to only the 2 rear trunks - Tsunami Pump

A - Will this give a good balanced wake without the center bag?

Option #4 is what I am leaning towards to start, just curious if this will give me a bigger wake but still have a nice ramp with clean edges @ 70' to 75'?

Thanks!

P.S. We surf also and while the wake is pretty good with stock ballast and people placed correctly, would love to make this a bit bigger also.

sand2snow22
12-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Go with Option #1:

A: If you don't want to lose front storage or you need storage that day, don't fill the bow ballast bag that day!

B: Bags are quick release. Take them out of the boat, drain, and store inside!

No Skeez
12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
For most of our X-2s, we just added the rear bags plumbed into the factory ballast, and left the front alone. Seems to work just fine.

Justjoe
12-31-2008, 01:31 PM
My X2 (07) has the bow sac plumbed to fill from the overflow of the center, and overflow at the starboard bow. I ended up drilling a hole in the floor to run the fill tube up to the bow sack (there is a HUGE casket like subwoofer box that compicated running the hose through the hole in the floor). I added the rear locker sacs and plumbed them from the overflow of the stock rear ballast. I chose not to add the valves as they seem to complicate the system unneccessarily, and i have heard many issues relating to the filling/emptying becoming a nightmare due to poor seals in the valves.

My boat had been plumbed to fill the rear bags through a tee on the stock fill, but I chose to skip this method. I was concerned that it would complicate the filling/emptying process ie: which ballast vessel would fill at what rate, what would happen when one was full and the other not, how would I vent the sac (another tee to the overflow??) When the lower bag filled and started to overflow would it prove to be innefective in producing enough pressure to fill the 400+lbs above it...

Nevertheless, after reviewing alot of threads here, that was what I've got. Of course the kicker is that I don't know how well it works yet (as there is a foot of ice on the lake). Winterizing the bags is easy, as I have quick connects on all the hose terminations. You can take the rear fill hoses and reattach them to the hard tanks. The bow is a little more compicated (add a long piece of filler hose in place of the front sac if you choose to remove the bag).

Look for Skeelers thread on ballast install, I think he put one up. WakeX2Wake has one too I think. Good luck, and have fun. (OH, and the most important thing is: use a hair dryer to warm the hose ends before putting them on the recepticle ends, they will slip right on).

djhuff
12-31-2008, 02:30 PM
If you're really concerned about the bow storage, you'll like my setup. I have two bags plumbed into the rear, and lead up front. I move the lead around to balance the load on the trailer when pulling down the road, then put it op front once in the water.

As far as water in the compartments... it's a boat, it's OK if a little water gets in it.

As for winterizing, there should be no water in any of the fittings, and the hard tank is the only thing you should be worried about freezing... the bags will be fine if the little bit of water in them freezes. Just introduce some non toxic antifreeze into the system the same as you would if you didn't add any bags.

sand2snow22
12-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Would like to see pics of your wake DJ!

1boarder
12-31-2008, 06:50 PM
Here is a link to my install of the fly high complete kit. I think it adds 1600 lbs. Some people don't think the 2 way valves that divert water to either the hard tanks or the fly high bags are necessary. This is the kit MC recommends and I would assume that it is less stressful on the hard tanks that overflowing them to fill additional tanks. The kit comes with quick disconnects where you can disconnect and empty the bags completely. MC winterization procedure calls to get a funnel and put in the overflows of the hard tanks and then discharge. To complete the ballast winterization with the kit, you could disconnect additional bags, empty completely by hand and pour antifreeze down the hose and discharge for half a minute or so to completely secure the system. I wouldn't worry about the bags as they can expand if they freeze with a little water in them.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/546144.html

Witness140
10-07-2009, 12:57 PM
Here is a link to my install of the fly high complete kit. I think it adds 1600 lbs. Some people don't think the 2 way valves that divert water to either the hard tanks or the fly high bags are necessary. This is the kit MC recommends and I would assume that it is less stressful on the hard tanks that overflowing them to fill additional tanks. The kit comes with quick disconnects where you can disconnect and empty the bags completely. MC winterization procedure calls to get a funnel and put in the overflows of the hard tanks and then discharge. To complete the ballast winterization with the kit, you could disconnect additional bags, empty completely by hand and pour antifreeze down the hose and discharge for half a minute or so to completely secure the system. I wouldn't worry about the bags as they can expand if they freeze with a little water in them.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/546144.html

Did you remove all the carpet from the interior spaces and then paint everything black? Do you have more pictures of that project?

hawaiianstiln
10-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Not really sure what tricks he's throwing, but I think he can progress with the current wake you have. Unless Dad just wants to spend money on his new baby (hehehe), then that's understandable. My 07 X2 usually has full stock ballast, and one 300 lb Sack in the front with about 4-5 people in the boat each time and the wake is SWEET. I ride about at an advanced level with plenty of inverts and have never needed to load my boat up much more than what I said above. I ride at 80' at 24.5 mph and it's perfect and meaty.

Maybe I'm just looking at it different, but I've never been a huge fan of slamming boats with tons of weight unless you are really wanting to go big into the flats and fork out tons of money for gas.

Just my two cents. I do wish I had a bow sac plumbed in if anything. It seems like these X2's need tons of weight up front.

Don't get me wrong tho, I love a monster wake, but I also would rather just ride the average wake size and work on my pop and form so that it makes me learn to edge correctly.

rgardjr1
10-07-2009, 10:43 PM
I do wish I had a bow sac plumbed in if anything. It seems like these X2's need tons of weight up front.

This is a very easy project. Should only take you an hour or two to plumb it into the overflow of the KGB. I plumbed mine in last winter after filling-much easier than filling/emptying with the tsunami pump.

hawaiianstiln
10-07-2009, 11:26 PM
not to hijack Matt's nice thread he has going here, but yah Rgardjr1, I for SURE need to do that. I'm sick of filling that baby everytime manually.

jason@wakemakers.com
10-08-2009, 01:34 AM
Be forewarned that '07 and '08 boats will almost certainly need a new timer for the front pump. I agree though, the X2 hull really benefits from forward weight.

MattsCraft
10-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Wow - This is an old post revitalized - Update, I plumbed in two Fly High X2 sacs in the rear lockers. We started with just the Tsunami pump, a real pain if you are going from wakeboard, surf, different sides etc. Plumbing in the rear lockers is pretty easy, the biggest challange is finding the grey schedule 80 elbows for the rear tank overflows. Home Depot and Lowes locally here did not have them, found them at True Value hardware. I got my hose from these guys, they have all the bags, fittings etc or complete kits too. You can get spa hose from the hardware store, I could only find white here and wanted black to match the factory hose.

http://www.wakemakers.com/

The biggest challange I had was the factory uses a pretty wide hose clamp on the overflows, this crushed the hose a lot, and on one side it kept splitiing when trying to attach to the fly high quick connect elbow. I ended up having to cut the hose and add an extension on the one side, not a big deal.

We just use the 350lb tube sac down the walk way for now, we keep this full all the time, with the bow filler cushion it is not a big deal, and only one sac to fill at the start of the day and empty at the end. For sure you will have to re-program your timers '07 up. Not hard, just a pain to remove the rear panels to get to them. Roonies post is right on for install and timer adjustment. They have held, battery switch off, no problems. I have the green impellers, fill and empty is quick, no problems so far. The only thing I did different than him is, I used 90 degree quick connects on the bag overflows, the bags sit nice when full and I end up with about 6" of storage when full, enough for ropes vests, towels etc.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25491&highlight=sacs

MattsCraft
10-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Not great pics, last run of the day. Rears full, KGB and center sac full, 6 people in the boat. 22mph rope @ 70'