PDA

View Full Version : I-Pod Cable?

Bilge Water
12-31-2008, 01:50 PM
I just picked up a ProStar 209 and would like to hook up my Ipod to the Clarion Stereo. I see RCA plugs on the back side of the unit to hook into.

Is there a standard method for routing the cable so the Ipod can stay in the glove box with the head unit? Or do I have to bite the bullet and drill a hole in the glove box?:confused:

Thanks,

skihard111
12-31-2008, 02:15 PM
I have a 209 and put a radio transducer for the Ipod in the driver cup holder. They make one that fits in the cup holder specifically. Mine is a McCally...right there where you need it. It works fine.

JMann
12-31-2008, 02:21 PM
I have a PS190 and I use the FM transponder in the lighter. In the car they don't work very well but on the water it seems to work great, there aren't as many fm stations on the water. You can also get FM tranponders that don't need to plug in then you can put it in the glove box with no cable.

http://www.amazon.com/Griffin-9781-TRP30BK-iTrip-Transmitter-Connector/dp/B000CSP8IO/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_3

Here's a link to a good cordless one. I have two of the griffin's and they both work well.

Andyg
12-31-2008, 02:29 PM
MYMC sells a Bluetooth system for the ipod. I have not personally used the system, but I have heard good things about it. Here is the link to the product on MYMC's site.

Bluetooth Ipod (http://mymastercraft.com/parts_choice.cfm?cat=Stereo&sub_product=BlueTooth)

TallRedRider
12-31-2008, 02:43 PM
It is good to hear that others have had good luck with FM transponders, but I would not trust them from what I have heard...or at least I would make sure to buy one at a place where you can return it if it does not live up to it's billing.

Putting the Ipod in the glove box is fine if you have your set of tracks you listen to and never touch the thing. With myself and my kids, we are constantly changing tunes and inside the glove box would kill me. I would get a cable that goes into the aux ports and run it to the driver's side under the floor (over the ballast tank) and then up under the driver's feet, or at least run it back and have it come up through the cupholder on the passenger side. I had to drill a bigger hole in the bottom of the cupholder in my old boat to get it to go through, but it was perfect and the ipod was handy for all to play with.

The factory connection is all the way next to the driver on the wall. So that is where MC puts it.

BriEOD
12-31-2008, 02:47 PM
I have an aftermarket head unit and routed a wire to the driver's side. It is nice to be able to change songs, etc., without having to open the glove box.

3event
12-31-2008, 03:17 PM
I just picked up a ProStar 209 and would like to hook up my Ipod to the Clarion Stereo. I see RCA plugs on the back side of the unit to hook into.

Is there a standard method for routing the cable so the Ipod can stay in the glove box with the head unit? Or do I have to bite the bullet and drill a hole in the glove box?:confused:

Thanks,

WARNING - those RCA jacks are likely NOT for aux input, depending on what year / model head unit you have. They may be for an amp. Post up what head unit you have - if you have a Clarion like mine I can dig up the wiring instructions I found to use the CD changer connection as an ipod interface. I wired up to a Harmon Kardon Drive+Play as my ipod controller.

TallRedRider
12-31-2008, 04:09 PM
WARNING - those RCA jacks are likely NOT for aux input, depending on what year / model head unit you have. They may be for an amp. Post up what head unit you have - if you have a Clarion like mine I can dig up the wiring instructions I found to use the CD changer connection as an ipod interface. I wired up to a Harmon Kardon Drive+Play as my ipod controller.

Good point, 3event. What year is the boat? If you can't have access to look at the head unit right now, knowing the boat model year might help. My 05 Tige (Clarion CMD3) had the Aux inputs, but my 01 did not.

76S&S
12-31-2008, 04:21 PM

I too use the HK Drive/Play and have had very good luck with it.:D

east tx skier
01-01-2009, 12:00 AM
I have an aftermarket head unit and routed a wire to the driver's side. It is nice to be able to change songs, etc., without having to open the glove box.

Me, too. Liked it so much, I got one for the car, too. Hard wired is the way to go if you can.

For most stereos that aren't automobile co. branded proprietary, i.e. Honda or Toyota, you can get an aftermarket box that translates the digital info via the CD changer port on the tuner.

Bilge Water
01-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks for the response guys.

On my 2005 model, W/Sub woofer, the Clarion unit actually has two sets of RCA plugs with rubber covers on them. Neither are labled.

I pluged the I-Pod into one set (50/50 chance right?) and the input turned up on my Aux channel just as I wanted so I got lucky.

I agree with East Tx Skier, Hard wire is the only way to go for the best sound quality. In fact, you should spend the extra $$ on the gold tiped cables as they do make a difference. I got my Monster cable from Best buy on line. $30.

So now I am wondering what the other RCA connectors are for? This Clarion unit has a Serrius (sp?) symbol on the face indicating it is ready for satellite radio. I wonder what it takes to get that working? Antenna, subscription , converter or not?

Rgds,

BW

bturner2
01-02-2009, 02:29 PM
I swapped out my Clarion head unit in my 03 X2 for the new Clarion model then added the iPOD adapter. Got everything for under $200 at Sonic Electronix on line last spring. Worked out great. The advantage to going this route is that both the transom and dash remotes can control the volume and music selection remotely. The other advantage to this set up is that it also charges the iPOD while it's plugged in. A little bit more expensive but I really wanted MP3 play back capibility which the older stero didn't have so the upgrade to the new stero was in the works anyway.

Jerseydave
01-02-2009, 11:06 PM

Thanks,

On my X-star, I removed the drain hose from the bottom of glove box and ran the wire through that hole (no drilling necessary)
My son likes to control the I-pod from the passenger seat. I also have a wakeboard playlist so the I-pod can just play from that list.