PDA

View Full Version : Tower Speakers... what's the best set up?

Texas X10
12-30-2008, 10:11 PM
I want to build up my "water beat" for this summer. Pretty convinced I want to go with Wet Sounds Speakers. Should I go with four Pro 60's or the double-up formation with two Pro 60's and two MB-8's? Does anybody have an idea what would sound the best? Thanks!

bobx1
12-31-2008, 11:43 AM
I would email Tim White at Wetsounds and he will be happy to give you some advice. Here is a thread on another board he responded to:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/562156.html

As you can see, his advice to me was:

"Yup, The towers for MC were changed to the disc mount in 2007. So both the 2007 and 2008 have this new mount.

Bob, You can look at the PRO 60MC or PRO 80MC. MC versions bolt right to those factory mounts for 2007/2008 models. We also offer the MB-8 in a MB-8MC version as well.

You can fit the PRO 485 or 3-Some systems but you just do not use the factory mounts. So most prefer to keep the factory look and go with the 60MC or 80MC. Some even do the 80MC on the outside with the 60MC in the center. (or the MB-8MC on the outside with 60MC on the inside etc)Sounds like the 60MC would be the ticket for you. There are shots of MC's with all variations here http://www.wetsounds.com/pages/gallery/installations/customer_installations.html

Let me know if you have any questions.

Tim
Wet Sounds"

Naste Craft
12-31-2008, 02:36 PM
I want to build up my "water beat" for this summer. Pretty convinced I want to go with Wet Sounds Speakers. Should I go with four Pro 60's or the double-up formation with two Pro 60's and two MB-8's? Does anybody have an idea what would sound the best? Thanks!

I have herd the both and setups and the both rock. The 2 set of pro 60's will project farther to the boarder and the double up is better for hanging out in the party cove.

I have 2 sets of pro 60's and the SNY2 amp brand new in the box (Never Opened!!) that I might have to sell. Long story but if you are looking for a good deal let me know.

brucemac
12-31-2008, 05:04 PM
naste, what version of the 60's and what color? Is the SYN2 designed to run 2 pair of 60's?

TallRedRider
12-31-2008, 07:24 PM
I have heard a pair of Pro 80's and a pair of Pro 60's together and they really rock, when powered correctly. As far as something that is going to fit on the stock mounts, I am not sure you can go wrong with that setup or something like Tim White quoted above.

Wetsounds customer service is awesome. I was having an EQ problem and Tim himself answered my question by email with a detailed tutorial on how to get rid of the problem.

Texas X10
12-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Thanks Bob and Naste Craft... I won't be able to go flush mounted with my tower... but it sounds like I can't really go wrong either way... which is a good thing. Naste Craft... did you have a trouble with headroom?

Texas X10
12-31-2008, 07:29 PM
Go Red... did you hear those pairs of speakers together? on the same boat? or on two different boats?

dcspain
01-03-2009, 12:52 PM
I'm interested in your setup if you are still selling it......

TallRedRider
01-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Go Red... did you hear those pairs of speakers together? on the same boat? or on two different boats?

There is a Tige owner who has a pair of pro 60's and Pro 80's on his boat. Very very loud. When directly behind the boat wakeboarding, it was too loud for my liking when he had it turned up all the way.

Texas X10
01-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Good to know "Go Red..." probably to loud for me too. I just picked up a pair of Pro 60's... now I'm trying to figure out if I should go with another pair of Pro 60's or MB-8's. Naste Craft's advice has me debating which road to go down.

TallRedRider
01-03-2009, 09:39 PM
Good to know "Go Red..." probably to loud for me too. I just picked up a pair of Pro 60's... now I'm trying to figure out if I should go with another pair of Pro 60's or MB-8's. Naste Craft's advice has me debating which road to go down.

The pro 60's are so bright that I think that they are the ones that really pierced the ear when I was riding. I would complement them with a pair of MB-8's, personally. 2 pair of Pro 60's would seem to be so devoid of midrange sound, that I think you would be disappointed.

Texas X10
01-04-2009, 12:15 AM
"Go Red..." that's kind of what I'm leaning towards. I've heard other people say the MB-8's will balance out the sound better than another pair of Pro 60's. Now, it's time to search for them. Thanks for the help!

Eagle Lake Rebel
01-04-2009, 02:57 PM
Go with the 80's and get some big amps to drive them. You won't be sorry.

Texas X10
01-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Whew... that looks good Eagle Lake Rebel! But that would be a bit much for me. I think people on the other side of the lake would be able to hear me! ha! Thanks!

Naste Craft
01-05-2009, 03:00 PM
The pro 60's are so bright that I think that they are the ones that really pierced the ear when I was riding. I would complement them with a pair of MB-8's, personally. 2 pair of Pro 60's would seem to be so devoid of midrange sound, that I think you would be disappointed.

You're killing me red....:D

Turbo has 2 sets of pro 60's on his boat and I thought the sounded great.;)

Naste Craft
01-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Go with the 80's and get some big amps to drive them. You won't be sorry.

What amp do you have?

TallRedRider
01-05-2009, 03:46 PM
Whew... that looks good Eagle Lake Rebel! But that would be a bit much for me. I think people on the other side of the lake would be able to hear me! ha! Thanks!

...Uhhh, I think that is the point, no?

Your killing me red....:D

Turbo has 2 sets of pro 60's on his boat and I thought the sounded great.;)

Sorry, Naste. I forgot about Turbo's setup. I have also heard a properly tuned system with 2 pair of Pro 60's, and it also sounded quite nice and did not pierce the ears.

FlatBoard
01-05-2009, 06:16 PM
Here's a different look with the wetsounds threesome package. Powered with 3 JL amps they sound very robust at low volume as well as earth shattering volume.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t114/flatboard/DSC06030.jpg

brucemac
01-05-2009, 07:33 PM
hey flatboard, do you have any other pics? what year and make is that boat? it looks like an 04 maybe, X10?

i'm wanting wetsounds tower speakers, but i'm really on the fence. i was leaning towards the double-up package (2) pro60's and (2) mb8's, but i'm afraid the mb8's may look too big on my tower and that i may not have enough room accross the top on my 03 X-2 zeroflex. the 03 zero flex is quite a bit more narrow than the 05 redesign up top. do you have any more pics you could send me? you happy with your decision? would really really appreciate some more pics if you have them. feel free to pm me. i just don't know which way to to. if i don't go with the double-up, i may just go with a single pair of pro 80's.

that looks real nice by the way. but if that's an X10, you've got another foot of beam on me and i'm pretty sure you're tower is quite a bit wider at the top. if i had that same setup, it might look kind of dumb with the speakers so close together. also, quite a bit of weight up there. any issues with double-ups or tower sway on the zeroflex? that's about 60lbs+ up there isn't it?

Eagle Lake Rebel
01-05-2009, 08:21 PM
Naste Craft I'm using two Kenwood KAC 7204 amps bridged mono. One amp for the port and the other for starboard. In mono mode these amps are rated @ 500w rms @ 4 ohms. I'm running them at 8 ohms so I'd say I'm in the 300w range. These amps arn't expensive, sound good, and have an internal cooling fan.

shunra
02-19-2009, 07:42 PM
i'm wanting wetsounds tower speakers, but i'm really on the fence. i was leaning towards the double-up package (2) pro60's and (2) mb8's, but i'm afraid the mb8's may look too big on my tower and that i may not have enough room accross the top on my 03 X-2 zeroflex.

Hey brucemac. I know this picture isn't the best but it might help you out. I think it is the same tower as yours. I've got 4 pro 80s on the tower.

If I had it to do again I would seriously consider 2 Pro80s and 2 MB-8s

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shunra/Boat1.jpg

brucemac
02-19-2009, 08:02 PM
that's awesome, thanks! looks great! got any more pics?

so you ended up mounting from the rear crossbar? got any profile pics? any issues with the rope getting caught? looks good with 4 up there! how come MB-8's? more mid-bass? using an EQ?

i was worried about the 80's looking too big up there, but that looks great and yeah, my tower's the same.

i finally gave in and just ended up getting a single pair of 80's, the 420 and the Syn 6. installing this weekend. super stoked! :)

will be bridging channels 1-4 to the 80's and channels 5&6 to the sub :D

shunra
02-19-2009, 08:25 PM
that's awesome, thanks! looks great! got any more pics?

so you ended up mounting from the rear crossbar? got any profile pics? any issues with the rope getting caught? looks good with 4 up there! how come MB-8's? more mid-bass? using an EQ?

i was worried about the 80's looking too big up there, but that looks great and yeah, my tower's the same.

i finally gave in and just ended up getting a single pair of 80's, the 420 and the Syn 6. installing this weekend. super stoked! :)

will be bridging channels 1-4 to the 80's and channels 5&6 to the sub :D

Yeah they are mounted from the rear crossbar, a little off to the sides. I don't have any more pics. I got them at the end of last season and then put the boat in storage shortly after.

I have had no issues whatsoever with the rope getting caught. In fairness I proabaly have only 15-20 hours on this setup though.

I am running about 225watts RMS to each PRO80 and with 4 of them it can rip your head off if you are on the swim or sun deck - so I was thinking in hind sight MB-8s might warm it up a bit.

I currently have no EQ so I was also considering getting the 420. I thought I might be able to warm it up a bit with that.

I have a the XS10-FA under the helm, and would like to put it in a sealed box (currently it is free air). What are your plans for your sub?

How are you planning to route your RCAs for the 420? I have 3 amps so that would mean 4 sets of RCAs.

brucemac
02-19-2009, 09:21 PM
right on! 225W RMS to each, i BET it's loud! hee hee.

i'm going to run my RCA's around the bow. i bought 25ft'ers to be safe. the eq is supposed to help i'm told because you can turn down the highs a bit and boost the mid-bass. i'll let you know. :)

my sub is in a ported 1.25 cubic feet (net) box with a 3in port under the helm. it's an Image Dynamic IDQv3 D2 dual 2-ohm voice coil, currently wired in parallel at 1-ohm and is getting somewhere between 350 and 500W rms. i'll be removing the current sub amp and re-wiring the sub in series to show 4-ohm and it will be 600W rms. :)

i'm not expecting to hear much difference on the sub with the wattage increase, but i'm a little hopeful that the volgage gain from the 420 and the efficiency of the Syn 6 (regulated power supplies/boat on or off) will lend itself to a little difference in sound. subs rated for 500W rms, but i checked with mfg and they say i'll be fine with clean undistorted signal.

what are you running for inboats? i'm feeding my stock clarion's ~100W rms a piece, but am planning on changing out that amp too eventually and am really looking hard at the new polk MM series components (new nautiques). i just have to make sure i've got the depth up front. then i'd replace that amp with a Syn 4 and push 125W x 4 at 4-ohms.

where you ride? that looks like eastern washington maybe? wenatchee native here. :)

thanks again for sharing, that looks great!

craig3972
02-20-2009, 01:29 PM
I bought the 420 and all the RCA's .... but decided not to put it in for a few reasons
- the new sound system already sounded incredible
- didnt want to introduce any noise
- didnt want just anybody playing with the controls
- wanted to have a bullet proof system that cranks everyday without breakdowns.
So now i have an extra WS420 c/w RCA's

Big Dogg
02-20-2009, 02:11 PM
Are you at all interested in selling that Wetsounds 420, or was that just informational?

brucemac
02-20-2009, 02:17 PM
you should post it up in the market place or on wakeworld. it would sell fast if it was reasonably priced.

the noise issues you read about were either a.) people who didn't install correctly (usually not grounding amps, hu and 420 to common ground) or b.) a faulty resistor inside of a few of the mics in the early production run.

i'm really excited. the ability to have (2) eq's in one for the tower and the inboats along with the voltage gain into the amps and the fade control between inboats and towers is what sold me.

not sure how adding an eq makes it any less "bullet proof", but if it ain't broke don't fix it i guess. :)

craig3972
02-20-2009, 02:18 PM
I was kinda waiting to see what the response was ( is the WS420 bullet proof? is it worth the extra work of install?)

brucemac
02-20-2009, 02:27 PM
well, i'll let you know, next week. installing mine tomorrow!

i've heard that for people with low volt preamp head units (~2V like my Clarion M475), that adding the 420 alone aids in overall the sound quality. if you have a decent HU with 4-6V preamp outs, it may not make a whole lot of difference aside from having the fade and 2 independent eq's. i know the Pro 80's are bright, so imo i think having an eq to be able to turn down the highs and turn up the midbass is a must. but that's just my opinion. like i said, if you're happy with it as is, might not be worth the extra effort.

shunra
02-20-2009, 02:31 PM
what are you running for inboats? i'm feeding my stock clarion's ~100W rms a piece, but am planning on changing out that amp too eventually and am really looking hard at the new polk MM series components (new nautiques). i just have to make sure i've got the depth up front. then i'd replace that amp with a Syn 4 and push 125W x 4 at 4-ohms.

where you ride? that looks like eastern washington maybe? wenatchee native here. :)

thanks again for sharing, that looks great!

My inboats are also the stock clarions. I am pushing them with the Clarion APX480M, so about 80Watts RMS to each clarion. They sound OK, but I would also like to upgrade them. I like the WS XS-650s but I heard they need a bigger opening, and I am not sure what I would do with the holes where the current tweeters reside. If you go with the polks, let me know what you think.

I am pushing the sub with the Kicker 400.1. I would like to build a small box for it under the helm but I have heater vents that come out there, so it might be a bit tricky.

brucemac
02-20-2009, 02:41 PM
yeah, i hear ya on the XS650's. i've heard they may release seperates, but it wouldn't be until 2010. i'd bet the cut out would still be larger though for the midbass driver. the new polks will fit right in the existing holes. the bow tweeter cup can be removed and there would be one small hole that would need to be gel repaired using the polk surface mount cups, OR, when i get them, i'm going to see if the polk tweeters will fit inside the clarion surface cups and if so, then i'd get the cups painted to match. :)

i think i'm going to buy a pair next month and make sure they fit in the bow before i buy the 2nd set.

craig3972
02-20-2009, 02:44 PM
good to see another Calgarian on here ( dont look out your window!)
What kind of boat do you have?
oh sorry i see it now.... do you have the old tower speaker cans ?

shunra
02-20-2009, 02:48 PM
good to see another Calgarian on here ( dont look out your window!)
What kind of boat do you have?

Ha - small world. I have an 02 Xstar that is waiting not so patiently for spring. What about you.

BTW, I sent you a PM about your 420.

craig3972
02-20-2009, 02:55 PM
Ha - small world. I have an 02 Xstar that is waiting not so patiently for spring. What about you.

BTW, I sent you a PM about your 420.

i have a 06 xstar waiting as well. i had an 2000 xstar before that, really loved that boat. I still have the boom ... fits perfect on your boat, not on my xstar:(

shunra
02-20-2009, 04:38 PM
do you have the old tower speaker cans ?

Yeah I still have the old cans that came new with the boat. Are you looking for some?

craig3972
02-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Yeah I still have the old cans that came new with the boat. Are you looking for some?

Yes, i was thinking about adding another set

kycat2007
02-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey guys I just bought an 2004 x2 and it has the Clarion speakers in it. Two amps, sub, and two tower speakers. I have not had it out as I got the boat in Jan. What am I to expect to hear from the Clarion setup from the factory? It sounds like alot of you guys are not happy with the setup. I thought the let cans were gonna be cool as well is that not true?

kycat2007
02-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Not sure if that boom would fit on an 04 x2 but I am going to buy one soon. Do you know if it will fit and what is your price?

craig3972
02-23-2009, 01:50 PM
The clarions are not as good as the newer JL's. The best thing you can do is take your boat into a good car audio guy - sometimes it just takes a little rewiring and tunning to get the most out of your setup.
i was never a big fan of the old Clarion decks either - i got an extra one of those too:D

craig3972
02-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Not sure if that boom would fit on an 04 x2 but I am going to buy one soon. Do you know if it will fit and what is your price?

my boom was designed to fit the 205V hull with the ski pylon. it has a curve in it so it doesnt block the back seat - barefoot international brand. still grappling with parting with it

shunra
02-23-2009, 02:05 PM
Yes, i was thinking about adding another set

Mine are the cans that came stock with the clarions in them. If that is what you are looking for let me know.

craig3972
02-23-2009, 02:10 PM
do your cans have a "dished" cut-out on the top of the can? or did they come with a mounting post?

shunra
02-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey guys I just bought an 2004 x2 and it has the Clarion speakers in it. Two amps, sub, and two tower speakers. I have not had it out as I got the boat in Jan. What am I to expect to hear from the Clarion setup from the factory? It sounds like alot of you guys are not happy with the setup. I thought the let cans were gonna be cool as well is that not true?

It really depends what you are looking for. The clarion system is not sufficient if you are looking to be able to hear the music clearly while you are riding behind the boat at wakeboard speeds.

On the other hand if you are looking for something that sounds good in the boat while you are just chill'n out on the water, or maybe surfing, the clarion setup will probably be just fine.

shunra
02-23-2009, 02:18 PM
do your cans have a "dished" cut-out on the top of the can? or did they come with a mounting post?

I don't think they are dished out. They bolt to the tower rather than clamp to the round part of the tower. Here is what they look like.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shunra/bimini.jpg

craig3972
02-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I don't think they are dished out. They bolt to the tower rather than clamp to the round part of the tower. Here is what they look like.

http://usera.ImageCave.com/shunra/bimini.jpg

too bad ... they are not the ones i was looking for.

kycat2007
02-23-2009, 02:41 PM
I think the tower boom is what I will probably look to buy unless there would be another reason not to do so.
I get what you are saying about riding and listening but I can see where some boat drivers might noot dig having it that loud. I guess I will give it a season then adapt if needed.

brucemac
02-23-2009, 03:40 PM
my boom was designed to fit the 205V hull with the ski pylon. it has a curve in it so it doesnt block the back seat - barefoot international brand. still grappling with parting with it

if you do decide to sell and shunra doesn't want it, will you let me know. i might be interested. it would be good for the kiddos i think.

dino
02-25-2009, 05:09 PM
I just bought a pair of pro 60s and a 485 for my x-star. My friend bought the same and he has decided to go for another 485, so he is selling his white pro 60s that are brand new in the box. He asked me if I wanted them, but I didn't want to have a mismatch, mine are black. He said he wants $675 if anyone is interested let me know.

kycat2007
03-10-2009, 12:37 AM
I found this on youtube and think it may help give an idea of wetsound tower speakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9rgOtngXvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFDZGTzQw8

scott023
03-10-2009, 12:59 AM
I found this on youtube and think it may help give an idea of wetsound tower speakers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9rgOtngXvs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFDZGTzQw8

man, that sh!te is nuts. Might have to look into it...

jasonba1
03-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Im in the process of upgrading to wetsounds . I have been on several of my buddies boats that had them and didnt believe the hype at first but I can tell you they are the loudest speakers I have heard and you can hear them no problem rididng. They are awesome and their customer service is great